What's new

What price to pay? How much is too much?

This is my first “original” post on B&B. I want to say thank you to all of you in the B&B community who have helped me these past couple of months. I have read thousands of posts, enjoyed viewing endless amazing pictures and learned much more than I thought possible about shaving and all that goes with it. It’s winter here in St. Louis, MO and I have had time on my hands to really enjoy B&B. Just ask my wife. She thinks I am off my nut lately with all this talk of shaving. So, I needed someone other than my wife to chime in. So here we go…

Please take this post as it is meant to be, just commentary and insight. Really. It is a long post, so thank you for reading.

What started for me as a daily chore, shaving, became one of the things I look forward to each day since I started wet shaving a couple of months back. Like many of you, this has led to various acquisition disorders, bordering on obsession and for me recently, an investment tool, possibly.

Soon after I enjoyed my first wet shave with my Edwin Jagger de89, Proraso green pre-shave and soap, cheapie badger brush from Amazon, Gentleman Jon alum block and Proraso green aftershave, I climbed into the ol’ Rabbit Hole. It is one deep hole, isn’t it!?

The more I read on Badger & Blade of all the different razors, soaps, aftershaves, balms etc, the more I “needed” to add items to my den. I was soon scouring the BST, Ebay, Etsy, Craigslist and local antique stores for the next find. I was looking for what i thought were highly rated razors, both modern and vintage and for soaps and aftershaves that were well regarded, but of good value. I mostly kept on course by purchasing the following…

Proraso red, green and white pre-shave and soaps.
Proraso green shaving cream tube.
Proraso post shaving balm
Proraso green AS
Clubman Original AS
Old Spice AS from India
Speik AS
Pre de Provence post shave balm
Nivea sensitive post shave balm (I was developing a bit of razor burn on one side of my neck, working on better technique there)
Stirling Soap Co samples of AS (8 total to try out different scents)
Taylor of Old Bond Street Soap
Ariana & Evans Asian Plum Soap
Wholly Raw soap samplers
Tabac shaving soap
Barrister & Mann Lavanille soap
Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 band silver tip brush
Rudy Vey Muhle synthetic brush
Maseto 24mm Finest brush
Ever Ready 200 brush (Rudy Vey rehab with Manchurian Fan)
Yaqi 18mm synthetic travel brush
AP Shave Co 24mm SynBad
On waiting list for Wolf Whiskers handle
Timeless Shaving Bowl
Marvy Rubber Shaving Mug

I am sure there are a few other things I have failed to list.

Now the razors, mainly in the order of acquisition…

Edwin Jagger ed89 (my first DE)
Feather AS-D2:
Timeless SS 68 w/80mm barber pole
Gillette Flare Super Speed K3 (birth razor, still looking for mint K3 Slim Adjustable)
Gillette Gold Tech 1940
Gillette 1951 Black Tip W4
Gillette 1957 Rocket HD 500
Gillette 1953 Y3 President
Gillette 1940’s New Long Comb
Gillette 1934? Raised Flat Bottom #44
Gillette 1959 E3 Fatboy
Gillette 1920”s Old Type ball handle
Gillette Aristocrat 16
Wolfman WR1/WRH7
LASSC BBS 1 (#xxx)
LASSC BBS 1 (#xxx)

As you can see, this is a pretty nice start to a collection and where I am offering up a topic of conversation.

What to spend on a razor? See the last three razors on my list above? They didn’t come cheap. Well, several were not cheap. In my case with these last few high priced razors, my rational was if I use and hold onto these razors until I retire in 4-5 years, my bet was that I could sell them for what I paid. I will enjoy using them when I want and be happy. Isn’t that what we should all want, to be happy. If I lost a bit on these investments, oh well. At least i’m enjoying the ride. I could **** money away in a lot worse ways. Oh wait, I have already done that.

Some might say “I don’t have the money to pay for such an unobtanium!” I get that. I don’t drink any longer, smoke any longer, chase ladies any longer, drink Starbucks everyday etc. I swear my life isn’t as boring as it sounds. I am choosing to enjoy what I can afford, nothing more. I could have a Starbucks everyday this year and have nothing to show for it next year or buy 120 different shaving soaps (yes, that is a shot at those who have a 120 shave soaps.. ha ha). I chose to buy a few really nice razors and who knows, I may buy a couple more.

My thought is these are now passive investments. I am NOT out to make money, but if I should when it is time to sell, that is OK! This is how capitalist societies work. Buy low, sell higher. It’s what puts money in your pocket, food on your table etc. I am not saying we should take advantage of our B&B brothers and sisters, but I am saying it is okay for someone to sell something at the cost they determine and also ok for someone to pay whatever they feel an item is worth. I am extremely grateful to the gentlemen who have sold me razors on BST for what I believe are very fair deals.

I was scouring posts on B&B looking for high ticket items and what someone would sell for and what someone was willing to pay for a higher end razor. One post really kinda pissed me off. A gentleman had acquired a very nice razor/handle combo and offered it for sale. Some people were posting that his pricing was too high and shame on him. He replied that he spent a lot of hours trying to source this razor. Spent a lot of money to acquire it and that he would not even sell it if he didn’t desperately need the money. Funny thing was, while some were complaining about his price, someone else snatched it up. I suspect because the buyer saw the long term value of said razor. That razor is likely worth 25% or more than what he paid just a couple of years ago. Some saw price gauging, while someone saw value and a great addition to his or her den. This person took a risk, but is now being rewarded.

My point is this, when you have a shot in life, take it. Life is a beautiful thing, precious and all too short. You either take your shot and assume the risk that goes with it or you keep shuffing along and wonder “what if”. I say… go for it.

What say you?

And with that, my humble little collection, less all the soaps, aftershave etc... It ain't much, but it's all I've got (for now)!
IMG_2043.jpeg

Disclaimer... I am not promoting reckless or irresponsible financial behavior. YMMV!

Very nice collection. I have spent a lot of money on vintage and modern razors. It brings me joy. If you enjoy your razors then all is well.

Very nice collection. I have spent a lot of money on vintage and modern razors. It brings me joy. If you enjoy your razors then all is well.
Thanks zed117. It too brings me joy and I guess that is why I posted my message. Whether it razors or whatever it is that puts a smile on your face, do it while you are able. Take chances and enjoy the ride.

I don't know which thread your talking about, but I think most B&B posters think of B/S/T as a place to make reasonable, fair trades and purchases, not a place to make gains. E(vil)-bay is the place for that, from their perspective, I think. Unless someone's faculties are impaired, I don't care what others pay/spend for an item, except for in an envious way when someone finds a great deal. It does surprise me sometime what someone will pay for in item, especially when it has a plastic case that should've been thrown away long ago. :a30:

Nice collection BTW

Price threshold for any item, be that razor, soap or fancy bowl, is when you're forgetting to enjoy the item in question because the price was unreasonable.

I'm not against making extra or even income out of shaving gear. Enjoyment would be of different kind then compared to simple joy of lathering up.

You can't take it with you so acquire whatever makes you happy! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm not a collector, but I do like to have a few options in some regards, and I've had excellent results without spending large sums of money. As such, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum to many here.

Here's my guideline prices that I like to work within:

£35.00 for a brand new razor
£15.00 for a vintage razor
£15.00 for a brush
£0.05 per shave for soap/cream
(I prefer to verify with samples, rather than full soaps)
£0.01 per shave for blades
(Again, verify with individual blades or tucks, rather than buying bulk)

Those prices wouldn't be absolutely rigid, if I found a product spending a little extra on, but I've found I can get fantastic shaves at lower prices than those, so I have no desire or incentive to try to justify spending more.

Just my opinions, and not trying to sway others here.

Thanks for a great post, you sure have started well on this journey - have a fine collection going already!

I’m right there with you - buy what you want and pay what you think is fair. I love my collection too!

All the best, Thomas!
Peter

Thanks for all the thoughts. I love that I am seeing both sides of this discussion. The message being, spend what you want or feel comfortable to enjoy this hobby.

I love the BST, BTW... To my point, there is a Wolfman WR1 on BST as I type, that is very expensive. But per the seller, less than he paid, which I think is great. It's still expensive, but he is doing what he can to make it work for both the buyer and seller.

On the flip side, I see razors go for $10-$20 on BST that are great value and are razors that I would love to have if I had the room to keep them all.

Compared to what I have spent on razors, blades, brushes, and soaps in total, my friend has spent on one watch. And that watch is not the most expensive one he has.

Very nice looking collection of razors and brushes, @It's Hedley!! I'm one of those shavers that enjoys both the vintage and the modern. My wife doesn't quite understand that I like "trying, using, experiencing" the various razors, although she's come to accept this behavior. I think razors hold their value and the B-S-T is a great forum to sell them on. On the other hand, my life philosophy has been not to part with something that's made me happy.

Compared to what I have spent on razors, blades, brushes, and soaps in total, my friend has spent on one watch. And that watch is not the most expensive one he has.

To each his own, right? Watches, cars, houses, razors. I have a friend who never gets rid of his toys, much like @Grundi. My dad once told me... "the only difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys". There may be a few other differences, but I have always remembered the saying.

I am in a situation where I will most likely have to part with some of this collection when my wife and I retire. We plan on being nomad retirees, living in one city/country for awhile and then moving on. Will be hard to do with a satchel full of razors, brushes, soaps, AS etc!

Too much is when you are afraid to use it. And, if you are afraid to use it, it’s not really yours-you are just holding it for the next owner.

I am in a situation where I will most likely have to part with some of this collection when my wife and I retire. We plan on being nomad retirees, living in one city/country for awhile and then moving on. Will be hard to do with a satchel full of razors, brushes, soaps, AS etc!
That sounds like a great retirement plan. A month here and then a month there, you'll have time to see, taste, and experience the area, then move on, with the option of staying longer (or shorter). With cellphones typically having nationwide calling as part of the standard package, you'll be able to stay as connected as you want. (If you're planning a motor home adventure, AAA/RV and KOA's will take a lot of the travel stress out of the equation, so that you can focus on the experience).

Too much is when you are afraid to use it. And, if you are afraid to use it, it’s not really yours-you are just holding it for the next owner.
Your wisdom applies to the big picture... don't be afraid to take your shot in life whenever the opportunities arise and certainly don't be afraid to use a razor!

That sounds like a great retirement plan. A month here and then a month there, you'll have time to see, taste, and experience the area, then move on, with the option of staying longer (or shorter). With cellphones typically having nationwide calling as part of the standard package, you'll be able to stay as connected as you want. (If you're planning a motor home adventure, AAA/RV and KOA's will take a lot of the travel stress out of the equation, so that you can focus on the experience).
Now which razors make the cut?! Well, I have a few years to contemplate this conundrum.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
If you have to ask "How much is too much?" for either price or a collected mini-horde/stash of goods, chances are that you already know the answer yourself. :lol1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Remember to kiss your wife! You have a keeper there. Enjoy life, and take big bites is my philosophy.

my kit has a bit of both extremes. just the way it turned out. for now, i am glad i am getting the opportunities to handle and use some fantastic gear.

The only thing i wish i had was a really great way to display kit like a small spa/ museum-ish / workshop room thats not a typical bathroom that probably most of have.

Top Bottom