What's new

What is the fascination with Bay Rum, etc?

I have to be honest I tried to like it. Smelled it in the stores and thought that it was nasty. I even tried a little thinking that it would smell differently with my body chemistry. But I just think this stuff stinks. You could say the same for C.O. Bigelow. But to be fair I have not tried it, I just can’t get past the smell in the store. Again maybe it’s me and my wayward sensory system.
So that begs a question for me. Why do people, mostly men in this venue, like the scents of the products they use? What is the best and the worst scent in your opinion?

For me personally, I love sandalwood, some light citrus, and clean soapy scents. But have been known to venture into a woodsy very light musk smell.

Bay Rum is an old, traditional "barber shop" style scent that many wet shavers enjoy. Along with Pinaud Clubman, it's reminiscent of the scents and smells of an old barbershop. Some guys like the sort of clean cut, just-got-a-haircut sort of sense it evokes.

if you never visited an old school barber in your youth, those kind of scents may smell old fashioned or dated.

The best in this category to me is Pinaud Clubman. The worst is Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

Bay Rum is an old, traditional "barber shop" style scent that many wet shavers enjoy. Along with Pinaud Clubman, it's reminiscent of the scents and smells of an old barbershop. Some guys like the sort of clean cut, just-got-a-haircut sort of sense it evokes.

if you never visited an old school barber in your youth, those kind of scents may smell old fashioned or dated.

The best in this category to me is Pinaud Clubman.

Love Clubman, don't like afta Fresh.

I have to be honest I tried to like it. Smelled it in the stores and thought that it was nasty. I even tried a little thinking that it would smell differently with my body chemistry. But I just think this stuff stinks. You could say the same for C.O. Bigelow. But to be fair I have not tried it, I just can’t get past the smell in the store. Again maybe it’s me and my wayward sensory system.
So that begs a question for me. Why do people, mostly men in this venue, like the scents of the products they use? What is the best and the worst scent in your opinion?

For me personally, I love sandalwood, some light citrus, and clean soapy scents. But have been known to venture into a woodsy very light musk smell.

Different strokes for different fokes. Thats why YMMV is pretty much the battle cry at B&B.

I not only like the general scent of bay rum, but I also like the versatility of the scent. I like how it can range from sweet to spice, and everything in between. I have no idea why I prefer any scent over another, but it's a YMMV thing for sure.

I love the smell of Sandalwood in a burning incense stick and thought I would like it in a shave soap but I don't. I've tried it in aftershave balm and even bought some sandalwood essential oils to use with witch hazel but I didin't like it.

Bay Rum is an occasional thing for me. Clubman is an everyday thing. The Pinaud citrus smells (Vegetal, Lime Sec) are the worst for me.

I remember going to the barber with my dad and grandfather when I was a kid and I have to tell you I do remember the smell. I LOVED IT! Maybe I need to keep looking to find the right one. Being a newbie I have to say that I don't think I have smelled Clubman, at least not knowingly. I will definitely keep an open mind. I know that my tastes change with the seasons as I'm sure they do for most.

At one time I hated coffee, beer and wine and now they are mothers milk!

Onward and up I suppose.

Last edited:
Bay rum is a take it or leave it thing with me. I like the burn that you get from Pinaud, but I can live without the scent. I think that SCS and Bigelow both make good ones--the citrus adds a nice balance to it. Right now, all I have on the shelf is SCS Bay Rum with a Twist, and I'll replace it when it runs out. But I can't imagine buying any other bay rums unless my only other choice for an aftershave was Tres Flores.

I think that there are a bunch of different variations on "the collector," and we have all of them here. There are the users and the keepers. The testers and the traders. The sellers and the fixers. There's the guy who has to have the most expensive version of anything. Then, there's the guy who wants to get the most functional version of everything (I'm like that with a lot of things, including razors and brushes, but not with soap/cream/AS). Up next is the guy who wants one of everything--to cover the waterfront (maybe that's me w/AS, and there are a lot of guys like that in the frag forum). Finally, there are the guys who want all the possible versions of one thing. Like the guy you knew in high school or college who was looking for that one helmetless variant of a Boba Fett action figure where he's squinting like the sun is too bright to complete his collection. I see the bay rummers being closest to that group. To a Philistine like me, bay rum is pretty much bay rum. A true bay rummer (bay rummy?) can see the subtle differences.

What's the fascination with Bay Rum? It smells good.

Why do I like the products I use? If we're talking scents, they smell good.

Honestly, I'm very analytical by nature but I don't know any way to break it down other than that - some smells I like, some I don't.

They "nasty" scent of bay rum is what makes it nice! I just love it! I use Mike's Bay Rum shave soap and Gilbert Henry Bay Rum aftershave balm. What are some bay rum colognes you can find in stores?

I'm with the OP. I tried to like it. Bought the sampler pack from Ogallala. But the sweet cloying clove smell was an instant turn off for me. The sample pack will go in a PIF when I get around to it. I guess that's what makes the world an interesting place. Everyone's tastes are different :)

Now sandalwood, woodsy or spicy and I'm in...

I got a small spray bottle of Ogalalla Bay Rum air freshener at a Seattle meet-up a while back and loved it. So then I got some Col. Conk Bay Rum shave soap. The scent was hardly there and the soap didn't work for me. Thought about ordering some Ogalalla Bay Rum shave soap but I've read a ton of adverse comments about their shave soaps being very hard to lather, etc. So I'm still looking for good bay rum stuff. I'm thinking it might be one of those scents where it depends on the product whether it works for you or not.

I have been looking all over the place for a decent bay rum to smell and try.

I have found NOTHING locally. I might just break down and order the Clubman from amazon.

Currently my AS's include Clubman Lime Sec, Aqua Velva and a Turkish Lemon Scent.

Still waiting for my Floid Blue to be delivered as well as my Clubman Quinine Shampoo and AS. :glare:

For you Bay Rum experts...is Clubman the best one to get?

AudioNut, check out the Barclay Crocker Bay Rum sampler. There's a wide variety of Bay Rum scents - some I love, some I tolerate. That sampler is a great way to acquaint yourself with several different styles.

AudioNut, check out the Barclay Crocker Bay Rum sampler. There's a wide variety of Bay Rum scents - some I love, some I tolerate. That sampler is a great way to acquaint yourself with several different styles.

Thanks BillC!

I'll do that!

Top Bottom