What's new

What is the best Pocket Knife option Under $50?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have to get a decent pocket knife. You never know when I'll have to perform a tracheotomy, or slit my own throat.

Hey Folks,

I have a quick and utterly stupid question... While closing a pocket knife- does the actual blade edge touch anything on the inside of the handle?

I ask because I've always just closed knives by pressing the lock mechanism and pushing the blade until it reaches the point where its own momentum slams it shut. It occurred to me that if the edge of the blade is actually hitting the inner wall of the handle as it slams shut- this might actually dull the blade over time.

Thanks,
Rick

I have a quick and utterly stupid question... While closing a pocket knife- does the actual blade edge touch anything on the inside of the handle?

Rick,
Not unless it is a very poorly designed knife. There are any number of different ways of doing it, but almost always some not sharp part at the base of the blade hits something that acts as a stop, and keeps the actual edge from hitting anything.
-Mo

Im surprised no one mentioned gerbers...i love there knives...they always seem to serve me well...but nothing beats my good ole' leatherman :biggrin:

Im surprised no one mentioned gerbers...i love there knives...they always seem to serve me well...but nothing beats my good ole' leatherman :biggrin:

My personal experience with Gerbers is poor. Cheap steel that won't hold an edge but they look impressive as hell at Pro Bass. If you spend any time in the knife forums HERE you'll see that Gerber, once acquired by Fiskars has gone way down hill from a quality standpoint. Apparently the Gerbers from yore were great knives, but their day has passed. (I'm sure that this will get me "flamed, but WTH).

My personal experience with Gerbers is poor. Cheap steel that won't hold an edge but they look impressive as hell at Pro Bass. If you spend any time in the knife forums HERE you'll see that Gerber, once acquired by Fiskars has gone way down hill from a quality standpoint. Apparently the Gerbers from yore were great knives, but their day has passed. (I'm sure that this will get me "flamed, but WTH).

Yea i guess i shouldve been more specific...i have the applegate-fairbairn...and thats not a cheap knife...but i do think there lower end models suck

Im surprised no one mentioned gerbers...i love there knives...they always seem to serve me well...

I have a Gerber "Gator" (a folder). It's a nice knife, but too large to be my EDC. I "had" to have it :biggrin: It sees only the occasional use, but works fine when called upon.

I have to get a decent pocket knife. You never know when I'll have to perform a tracheotomy, or slit my own throat.

I have my knife right here...close your eyes...let me help you with that...

..."trust me, I was once married to a doctor...like Hilary, that give me experience necessary to perform this operation."

My Gerber will take a nice edge, but it won't hold it very well. It's also pretty big, and I only ever carry it while hiking/camping. It's mainly to supplement my Leatherman, which is kind of a pain if you just need a blade.

The Kershaw Ken Onion is a great blade. I think I got it for about $55. The blade is about as long as a credit card is wide. Spring loaded blade, SS, solid as a rock,.... what more could you want? I've had mine for a few years, the spring is as quick as it was on the first day, and I've only had to sharpen it once after some very abusive use.

+1 I swear by my onion, you can get the smaller scallion i think for about $40

I don't think I'd say the "best" but the fact is I have put a large Buck stockman(307) through much, much more than any fireman,search and rescue,or cop will ever come close to...Their use is minimal compared to what I'm talking about....The pins stay tight and the blade works great for how it is used.....Try stripping 750 THHN cable for weeks on end at times over 15 years with the same knife.....Especially at low temperature....The torque that is put on those pins when used this way destroys many pocket knives....So much so that most linemen use a non-folder.....The example I'm talking about was bought around 15 years ago so it may be superior to what they are making today........

It's ok. Spyderco fans are sometimes nearly fanatical in their loyalty.... they're almost as bad as Benchmade groupies....:biggrin:
FWIW I AM in search and rescue (I'm a helicopter rescue swimmer) and perhaps I missed the memo because I have none of the above suggested reservations about Buck OR CRKT. I've had very good service from both.
Don't know who's making CRKT these days but I have a CRKT special forces M16 I bought in Iraq (the small one-it fits perfectly through a webbing loop) that has worked great for 4 years now... my all-time favorite knife? maybe not, but reliable? sure. It might not be a high end Porsche race car, more like the old Honda that you keep trying to kill so you can "upgrade" but just won't die. Same thing with Buck, Gerber, and some others not listed here.
Spydercos are also a good knife. I know an ordnanceman who has had the same Spyderco police for about 12 years. Just because Spydercos are good does not mean the others are not. Definitely consider them-they are sturdy (especially the all stainless ones) and Spyderco INVENTED the one-hand opening idea now common, along with a few other things.
I guess you have half the battle done-you passed all the 10 dollar bargains out there. I think you have in your own mind what you want in a knife already, and what you want to use it for. If you want a polite, dressy knife no need buying one seemingly built with prying tank treads apart in mind...
I recommend going to a place where you can hold the knife. Not to buy, but to find what you like first. Does the blade lock up securely? or does the blade have play back and forth?
Is the blade simply stamped with a nation of origin or does it also have the designation of the steel? (if it doesn't, chances are you are better off not knowing) you could then debate for weeks or longer (go check bladeforums if you don't believe me) on which steel is better or for what purpose. What kind of warranty does the knife have and does the maker have a good reputation? A good knife will often be guaranteed for your life with the possible exception of blatant misuse, and some makers will STILL honor their warranty.
Finally, aesthetics. Do you like how the knife feels in your hand? how does it feel in your pocket. Walk back and forth in front of the counter and see if it is something you would be happy carrying all the time or if it would bug you.
I love multitools in my line of work but I don't carry one in my pocket all the time... Do you want a knife to fend off an attacker (if so do you have the proper training for that? I recommend it...) orjust mundane cutting chores?
Multitool? SAK(Swiss Army Knife)? Tactical folder? Dress knife? Does the appearance of the knife present any issues (perhaps one of my favorite knives of all time was an Emerson Commander I got in 1998, the first year it was available-but because it was a fairly agressive, black "tactical folder" with a gimmick that makes it snap open agressively on its way from your pocket automatically, I found sometimes I had to be careful because people were alarmed by this....something to consider.
I have no real maker loyalties; buy the best knife you can afford. You will not regret it. I do tend to attempt getting a US made knife if possible but if not get the best made knife for your money you can. Quality lasts for years; junk makes your regret it for years.
So...now that I've thrown a few questions your way, what more specifically are you looking for?
John P.

Yea i guess i shouldve been more specific...i have the applegate-fairbairn...and thats not a cheap knife...but i do think there lower end models suck

Thats a sweet knife. I gave away my A-F combat folder, and carried an A-F covert for quite awhile. I highly recommend it if one is willing to spend a little more....
John P.

Oh, there IS a Leek model. I thought I was being clever and making a funny joke re: very large aliums. :blushing:

I suppose there is also a chive model?

Oh, there IS a Leek model. I thought I was being clever and making a funny joke re: very large aliums. :blushing:

I suppose there is also a chive model?

Yes (I have one - nice stealthy carry in a pair of dress slacks) plus Scallion and Shallot :001_smile Each reasonably priced and, at least in my area, locally available.

So the chive is small/light enough I can put it in the pocket of my suit pants without a saggy bulge? Hmm, that might be something to look into.

I pretty much only carry knives when I'm wearing jeans/hiking pants because then I can stick it in a belt pouch and not feel silly due to my Batman factor.

Though, if it's acceptable to wear your blackberry on your belt, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to wear a big bowie knife with dress slacks and a sport coat...

I know, I'm a bit late to the party, but this has been my favorite knife for the past 7 years:

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/259/238

it's an everyday type knife, but I've used if for everything from hunting, fishing, cleaning my nails, removing jumpers from hard drives, cutting yo-yo strings for my kids, opening cd/dvds, etc.

**EDIT: I haven't tried shaving with it though, I'd imagine it would fall waaaaay short :biggrin1:

Top Bottom