What's new

What is everyone's opinion on Titos vodka?

Titos > Grey Goose.

Yes, I have had both. Grey Goose should cost no more than Titos.

I agree. Grey Goose is a fine vodka but it's not superior to Tito's in any way except marketing and reputation. Certainly not worth the price.

I will say, however, that the flavored Grey Goose vodkas are among the least chemical-tasting of any I have tried. Stoli is pretty close.

Prior to 2020, in the USA vodka was defined as a neutral spirit "without distinctive character, aroma, taste, or color". The last part was dropped a couple of years ago. I suspect that was due to lobbying by the distillers who like to tout the superiority of THEIR specific brand. How can you distinguish one vodka from another if vodka has no distinctive aroma, taste or color?

Many vodkas produced in the USA are produced by diluting 95% ethyl alcohol produced by huge grain processing companies. Most of the alcohol from those plants is added to gasoline. Differences between vodka brands is largely due to the water used for dilution and the type of processes used to remove impurities. But still, much lot of the difference between brands due to marketing, including bottling and labeling.

Smirnoff vodka, with its Russian sounding name, is distilled in Plainfield, IL located southwest of Chicago.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've never tried Titos... but I did a comparison test of Grey Goose, Chopin and Belvedere a few years ago... Belvedere won for me... If I'm going cheap, I usually buy Russian Standard.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've heard good things about it, but have never tried it. One of my favorite vodkas is Luksusowa...Polish potato vodka. Reasonably priced. I'll have to give Tito's a try.

Last edited:
I usually like to just make a vodka only martini shaken with ice and strained into a chilled glass when judging vodka. There are flavor differences based on what was in the mash (potatoes, corn, grapes, etc.). There are also differences in smoothness which is subjective and best determined on the first couple of sips. If at the first few sips it tastes like ice water it is a smooth vodka. A smooth and reasonable priced vodka is Blue Ice. If I every add anything to the vodka (other than olive juice or olives) such as when making a bloody Mary I just use the cheap stuff, usually Burnetts.

IMG_3400.jpeg

I like Tito's but my favorite vodka is Reyka from Iceland. It's offered at a similar price point to Tito's but I think it's smoother and tastier, imho. I enjoy it over ice, in a martini and with mixers; also straight-up.

In 2015, Titos faced a class action lawsuit over their claim that their vodka is handmade. The case was settled out of court a few years later.

The "handmade" claim may lead people to think that this is a small producer of vodka, but that is not the case. They make some 100,000 gallons per year in multiple stills in a huge plant in Austin TX.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Wow! Serious necropost! I like it, though, because it reflects the evolution of my opinion of Tito's to some extent.

When Tito's first got underway and even when this thread started, Tito's was pretty good stuff. Honestly, I don't know if I was more impressed with the product or just that pretty good vodka was made in Texas, but that didn't change the fact that it was pretty good stuff.

These days, though, I look at Tito's like I look at Chili's club sandwich. While there's nothing particularly wrong with it, there's also nothing particularly right with it. If you're looking for something inexpensive and that won't offend (and especially if you want something from Texas), then Tito's is perfect. If you want something with any interest or character, well, you ought to look somewhere else. At least, I look somewhere else. However, if I order a vodka based cocktail and am asked "is Tito's okay," I'm probably going to say "yes."

I don't drink much vodka, but I do like what comes from Dripping Springs (another Texas outfit). Their vodkas are pretty much "handmade" and are excellent.

I give Tito great credit for breaking ground on Texas distilling, by the way. I can't imagine that was a small or easy task!

I like Tito's fine. Very clean and virtually flavorless with a bit of bite to my palate. I may be misremembering , but maybe a slight corn nuance to it. I do not pretend to know vodkas all that well though.

Top Bottom