What's new

What have you “settled on”?

It’s been a while gents!

Hope you’re all well.

Tell me about some of the creams, soaps, blades or even razors that have given you that moment of ”Yeah... this what I’m using from now on.”

For me it’s the following:

Daily Razor - Wolfman Open comb
Beard remover (when I haven’t shaved during days off)- RR Wunderbar Slant
Blades- Nacets

Now this isn’t to say I won’t try out the other blades I have or use my other razors. But these are my usual go to’s. My ”I’m not fooling around set up” if you will.

I don‘t have a brush that I’ve found to rule out all other brushes, but my Omega Jade handled boar is usually on deck.

Soaps and creams… the search continues. Proraso is probably my favourite for those days I just want a no nonsense shave. I’m a big fan of Razorock products and usually rotate through my collection. I like to have matching aftershaves as much as possible. I keep a bottle of “mentos“ shave gel in the locker at work if I need to get cleaned up quickly.

What say you, gentlemen? What do you keep using or reaching for? What‘s staying in your rotation?

I haven't settled on any one thing/s. I have about twenty soaps and creams, a good half dozen aftershave balms (not including the stash of Shulton Old Spice), thirteen razors (11 vintage, 2 modern) in rotation, and eleven brushes (4 badger, 4 boar, 1 boar/badger blend, and 2 synths). I use something different daily from that collection of gear. The only thing I might use 2-3 days in a row is a razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Astra SP blades for DE, Kai Mild PINK for AC, Personna PTFE for Gem.

Boar brushes.

Nivea Sensitive Men balm.

Soap is somewhat changeable -- I like to make my own so only the scents will differ. I also have a fondness for using a two-dollar bar of Yardley Almond and Oatmeal when between batches.

O.H.

Nowadays I use Stirling exclusively and switch between a 2 synth brush rotation / 2-3 straight razor rotation with a few drugstore splashes. Scents seem to change with the seasons.

Not about to sell off anything because it will be fun to revist things but it's been nice to really simplify it all and not have so much stuff out. Say I want to revisit a different brush, I'll probably pack away 1 that's out to take it's place. Itching for some badger love soon so I'll probably put away the T2, for example.

My answer is boring, but it works for me. This is my baseline setup. Everything sort of revolves around this combination of hardware and software.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, R6
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: TOBS or Proraso
Aftershave: Homemade Everclear / Witch Hazel / Menthol / Citrus Oils mixture
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft 24mm
Alum: Osma Bloc

I have a ton of razors and blades to play with, but I always come back to this baseline setup. I'm sure my answer will change someday, but this is what I've settled on for now.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I’ll specify my most used combination because of my away from home time.
Gillette Slim razor
Wilkinson German blade
Proraso white bowl
Switched to the Trafalgar 3 brush
Proraso green aftershave
Proraso white balm

Now that I’m growing a beard for hunting season and neck shaving I’m using a vintage Schick injector with modern Schick injector blades and various soaps. The Schick injector makes following my beard line easy.

I’ve only been at this for a year, but I’m starting to settle on some favorites.

Razor
Favorite: Henson AL13 medium
Contender: Henson AL13 aggressive

Blade
Favorites: Voskhod, RK
Contenders: the 200-300 blades I haven’t tried yet, haven’t tried enough, or last tried a few months ago when my technique was even worse than it is now

Brush
Favorite: my new AP Shave 24mm G5C synthetic
Contenders: none, really; I’ve only used the G5C twice, but it already seems to be a cut above my other 2 brushes

Soap
Favorites: Southern Witchcraft Samhain, Mama Bear dragon’s blood, Proraso green
Contenders: other SW and MB scents, Stirling, Captain’s Choice cream, pretty much anything that lathers and has a bold scent as long as it’s not too foody, too floral, or tobacco.

Aftershave
Favorite: Nivea balm
Contenders: Stirling unscented menthol and unscented glacial balms

Rockwell 6S (no. 3 plate)
Feather blades
Nivea sensitive balm
Williams aqua velva (EU version)

I'm leaving the soap/cream blank, as I have a stockpile to plow through, but I'm currently using up one product at a time.
I'm glad I got the Rockwell early as I haven't felt the need to aquire a new razor since!

I haven’t settled on anything yet. I tend to gravitate to some items more than others though.

For razors it’s almost always a straight razor now. The 6/8” full hollows see the most use. I still appreciate a DE for portability, durability and ease of maintenance though. It can be a good option when you’re away from home and traveling light.

I play around with different finishers but always come back to Arkansas’s and diamond pasted balsa. A Jnat, Thuri, Coti or Charnley can be a nice thing too though. I run a few razors full time with those finishes.

Shell Cordovan is the clear preference for strops. Others will get the job done but Cordovan is in a league of it’s own.

Always a natural hair brush. Mostly badger but there’s nothing wrong with good boar either.

I tend to prefer creams but will go for a hard soap on the weekends when I have time. Sticks are nice for travel.

I always have a lather bowl on hand but sometimes I only use it to park my shaving brush. Creams get bowl lathered, hard soaps get face lathered.

That’s where I’m at now. Things are always evolving.

Last edited:
Slick soaps, sharp blades, synthetic brushes, big heavy grind straights, vintage over modern, hot over cold, Osma alum, Speick aftershave, quality over quantity, an open mind and a willingness to keep learning, gratitude over yearning, face over bowl, and pretty much anything before Arko.

Top Bottom