What's new

What Grit / Micron Size Is Required to Enjoy a Good Shave?

I have a good test case for the conversation about barber hones. I happen to have in my possession a pristine example of a Lakeside barber hone which is reputed to be on par or better than the fabled frictionite hone. It is reportedly capable of 12-15k If anyone is interested in investigating and doing research let me know.

We are not allowed to post outside links, but if you google "lakeside barber hone" you will be able to read about it. I can post a picture of it when I get home just tag me and let me know if you all want to see it.

I also have a Pike Swaty, a Raven, and a Craftsman hone all have good reputations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
That's part of the mystique with all naturals. They are all the same in that they are all different :)

I have multiple SB and Trans arks and the edges off each of them, although very similar in look under magnification, ride my face a little different.

That's part of the mystique with all naturals. They are all the same in that they are all different
I have a 7ds that was honed on 7 different jnats. Sure they shaved differently, but that may have been lather differences, for all I know.

Many variables. I think 3 micron is about the threshold for synths. Stropping material (not pasted ) has a lot to do with this also. As does leather. I can take my razor up a notch by doing 150 laps on clean leather. It's all of the above. Grit is a small part of it though. And let's not forget shave technique. Angled stroke is what I use. And that maximizes imo the blades cutting ability.

After reading this thread I pulled out my Naniwa 3/8 combo and went to town! I finaly got a good shaving edge dialed in after doing some zero- pressure strokes on the 8k side using some bottled hand soap as a hone buffer. It was surprisingly sharp...

Top Bottom