What's new

What features do you love in a straight

I'm wondering about your favorite straights and why you love them. What makes it your favorite razor? What size is it (longer/shorter, and width)? What type of grind and point? And most importantly what feature do you love most about it?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
My favorite straights are heavily modified Gold Dollar #66's. Sorta like my entry into this year's GD Mod Competition. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-MOD-Competition-is-ON!?p=8303569#post8303569.

I like a nice bevel angle of 16 to 17 degrees. I like shoulderless. I like the shank slightly thinner than the spine so there is no problem with riding up on the hone. I sorta like a French style point. Don't care for jimps. Don't care for figured spines or gold wash or fancy etching, as a rule. I make what I like, basically.

Apart from that, I kinda like the Dovo Bismarck and similar razors, which inspired me to start down the path I have taken with my razorsmithery. I also have a weakness for thin petite American vintage razors, figured scales with nekkid wimmen on them, faux bamboo scales, covered tangs, long monkeytails, ivory scales, and such. Oh yeah I like me some Ducks, and Red Injuns. I guess I sorta just like em all. But not wedges. I find them a PITA to hone properly. Same with big smiles. Gimme a straight edge on my straight razor, please.

Last edited:
13/16s or smaller
Extra hollow grind (i like to hear whiskers die)
thumb notch (i'm clumsy)
bottom jimps (see above)
shoulder-less (nicer "lines")
barbers notch (optional, helps me do touch ups)
slight smile (renders barbers notch useless, since I won't be able to hone it now, but I still love smiles)
natural scales (not wood)

Last edited:
Like them light and nimble. Notches, jimps and the like don't matter a whole lot, either I like the look and feel or I don't. Easy to hone, so prefer no shoulder and a thinner tang. I have a couple Gold Dollars and they shave OK, just feel like I'm swinging a barn door around. Favorite is a Genco Seneca Chief.

$Genco.jpg

I am recently finding out I am liking heavier grinds, hmmm. but as far as size it would be in the 13/16" range and shoulder-less and of course unique scales.

I love them all, but there are a few things that add up to perfect for me.

7/8 Blade
Quarter Hollow
Top and bottom jimps
Good snug pins or fasteners

I routinely step outside of these and enjoy the variety, but those make up my sweet spot.

There are many features I've come to love and prefer in a straight. If I narrow it down to one it would be a proper thumb notch with proper jimps. The ergonomics and control makes the razor an extension of my hand. The aesthetics of the design draws the eye. CV Heljestrand MK thumb notches set the high water mark for me.

~Royce

I like big, heavy blades
Minimum of 6/8
Hollow ground
Don't care what scales are made from as long as its well done. Dorko makes the best acyrlic/celluliod. IMO

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
More broadly, I appreciate the utter simplicity of a traditional straight razor. No blades to snap in half or insert. The lack of any additional carbon footprint while you use and own it. Properly cared for as we know by procuring the smattering of vintage/antique blades out there; they simply last generation after generation. There is something profoundly cool about that.

Shoulder-less, acute bevel angle 15-16 degrees, smile, near spike heel and toe, full hollow, 6/8 or 7/8, no jimps or thumb notch.

7/8", Spanish point, some kind of file worked spine.
Full to Extra hollow ground, carbon steel with a hardness around 60-62.
Shoulder-less, satin finish, no jimps,no thumb notch and no bling (gold, etchings etc.)
Streaky horn scales.

Haven't got one, but it would be really sweet :001_smile

The above would be my dream straight, but to answer the OP's question of my favourite razor, it will be my 7/8" Korff & Honsberg "Dos Angelitos"
Although it got a lot of bling, it is the exception to the rule :wink:

There are many features I've come to love and prefer in a straight. If I narrow it down to one it would be a proper thumb notch with proper jimps. The ergonomics and control makes the razor an extension of my hand. The aesthetics of the design draws the eye. CV Heljestrand MK thumb notches set the high water mark for me.

~Royce
All of what Royce wrote, but I'd very much like to add the Swedish shoulderless razors as well.

If I had to nail it down to specific attributes they would be as Follows and In Order of Importance:

1: Amazingly Good Steel with the ability to take a terrific and smooth edge.
2: Ability be maneuvered easily and with exceptional accuracy.
3: Will Give me a Comfortable and Close Shave Every Time it is taken from the Storage to the Face without fail
4: Agility, Beauty, whether it be decorative or simplistic perfection.
5: Last But Certainly Far From The Least: Swedish, Sheffield, Or German Steel as these are my Top Three In Order of preference for the most effectiive blades with all of the above Qualities I treasure in a Straight Razor. Swedish being my absolute number one choice as they have Everything I could Ever Want in a Razor regardless of size, grind or anything else.

It should be noted that my absolute best shaves have always been from Swedish Blades and most of them have been from the shoulderless variety with the exception of the C.V. Heljestrand MK*31 which has given me the most perfect shave I have ever achieved.

The Most Perfect Blade I Have Ever Used:

C.V. Heljestrand Magnus Kendall 31

$20160606_172929.jpg

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Antique, quarter hollow, 6/8, ivory scales.

My current go-to, that ticks all those boxes, is this French Hamon Fabricant.

proxy.php

French tip
Shoulderless
6/8
Shaves smooth
Holds an edge well/long
Closes well on center
Decent scales
Easy to maintain
Easy to hone

I don't know how you guys are coming up with the edge angles? I guess it can be done mathematically, somehow, but........does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? I guess what I'm really saying is that it doesn't matter if you know what the bevel angle as long as the razor shaves well for you. Bottom line, I don't know why that seems important to some but it isn't important to me. :tongue_sm

Mike

..... I don't know why that seems important to some but it isn't important to me.

Finding the bevel angle is quite easy with a couple of measurements and solving a right triangle. A narrow/small angle can produce a sharper cutting edge, but the edge will be more fragile and dull more quickly. A wider angle will stand up to heavier beards and will be more durable over time and need less maintenance. You are correct to say "as long as your razor shaves well, it doesn't matter". Sometimes, even when you hone the bejeezes out of a blade it still won't shave well and many times the blade geometry (bevel angle) is the culprit. A good example is a "Gold Dollar", out of the box it has a very wide spine that makes it difficult to get a really keen edge on the hones. Sanding or grinding away some of that massive spine width makes them hone and shave well. Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Finding the bevel angle is quite easy with a couple of measurements and solving a right triangle. A narrow/small angle can produce a sharper cutting edge, but the edge will be more fragile and dull more quickly. A wider angle will stand up to heavier beards and will be more durable over time and need less maintenance. You are correct to say "as long as your razor shaves well, it doesn't matter". Sometimes, even when you hone the bejeezes out of a blade it still won't shave well and many times the blade geometry (bevel angle) is the culprit. A good example is a "Gold Dollar", out of the box it has a very wide spine that makes it difficult to get a really keen edge on the hones. Sanding or grinding away some of that massive spine width makes them hone and shave well. Hope this helps.

Ronnie

Wouldn't a wide spine give you wide bevel instead of a narrow bevel? Maybe I just cant visualize it right now, getting late, going to bed. :bored:

Mike

I don't have a preference provided they exceed 5/8 and are perfect under every angle.
My pleasure consists in cleaning, maintaining, beholding and shaving. It's my daily zen moment. A great journey.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wouldn't a wide spine give you wide bevel instead of a narrow bevel? Maybe I just cant visualize it right now, getting late, going to bed. :bored:

Mike

A thick spine gives you an obtuse bevel ANGLE. A thin spine gives you an acute bevel ANGLE. A bevel angle that is within a reasonable range will make for an edge that is easy to hone, very keen, but that does not "topple" readily. A very obtuse bevel angle makes an edge that is not overly aggressive which can be a good thing especially for a newbie, but might not satisfy a more experienced and skilled shaver. A very acute bevel angle allows for a very keen edge, but one that is very fragile and that can be overly aggressive and harsh unless steps are taken to gentle it down a bit. So yes, as long as the razor shaves well, then the bevel angle is obviously acceptable. A "better" bevel angle might be somewhat more acceptable though. And if a razor does not hone and shave well, then the bevel angle is one possible culprit that could be easily checked. After a while you get where you quickly recognize by eye a bevel angle that is too acute or too obtuse.

There are factors that swing the ideal bevel angle for a particular blade, such as grind, steel, temper, etc. but the sweet spot is generally around 16-1/2 to 17 degrees. Less than 15 degrees often gives an unsustainable edge or one that is very touchy to shave with unless it is honed with tape. At around 20 degrees or more, a razor can perform somewhat sluggishly though again this is often acceptable, depending on the needs and preferences of the user. A stock GD66 is typically around 19.5 degrees. A ZY just over 20 degrees. Hone either of those razors to the best of your ability, and then compare them to a thin razor such as a Henckels 401 and the difference is quickly apparent.

Bevel angle is not the only factor but it is one that is easily measured/calculated and somewhat easily eyeballed, with experience. It is just one of many factors that makes an edge better or unbetter.

Q: What features do I love in a straight?
A: Yes... =)

If the question was what features do I dislike, I guarantee you it would an extremely shorter list than my likes =). Now if the question were for preferences I'd say that I prefer smaller blades. A modern measure 6/8 is about as big as I want. I don't truly have a preferred grind, but will admit to a weakness for extra hollow 'singing' blades... I love the feedback! Points? No real preference, as long as it isn't too brutal... Very sharp spikes in my collection have been known to be muted ever so slightly... =)

Top Bottom