What's new

What does your screen name mean?

My screen name is my initials followed by my grandmother's lucky number.

I wanted a generic "License Plate" format screen name. Three letters and three numbers, that says nothing about my race, my gender, my political leanings, my age, my location, or anything that could be used to form an opinion about who I am.

I use this same name all over the InterWebs.

Back in the days of the old AOL, screen names were new and my SWMBO came up with a variation of sidekick for her e mail called Psydkick. Well it stuck and the whole family came up with ones, leftpsyd, marpsyd, gunpsyd, and since I fly privately, and like to jump out of planes, and so forth and have a love of flight, meteorology etc., skypsyd seemed appropriate,
AOL is so stupid with their screen name assignments.

I had an account with them for a few years, using exactly the same name I have here. Then I cancelled it for a few years. When I wanted to reopen the account, they wouldn't let me use my old screen name, because according to their representative, "It was already in use by another member." No, it was in use by ME, and I wanted it back. They wouldn't budge, and I didn't want to be "dpm802A" or dpm802_99" or any of the other suggestions they made. I wanted MY name back, and I couldn't get them to understand that the "other user" was ME. I never did re-open my AOL account, purely for this reason.

Mine is the name of a Dungeons and Dragons character I had while in thr Marine Corps on deployment in Okinawa. He was an incredibly moronic but lucky Wild Mage. It was always my favorite character.

While my screen name is obvious, it's part of my email which in full is canadiandude1965 and that is still is a great source of fun for the Swedish education students that I teach English Linguistics to at Stockholm University. As soon as I write my email addy on the whiteboard, I start explaining that they now know too much information about me... my nationality, my gender and my birth year. While that, in of of itself, may not seem funny...I wholeheartedly feel that it's the way I tell it to the students that makes it funny....yeah, that's it... it's the way I tell it...:thumbup1:

At least I'm not the absolute simplest:

My actual nickname(Abby), last initial and 2 for my second attempt to register. Anyone who calls me by my actual full first name doesn't know me well enough to be on a first-name basis, and is probably trying to sell me something.

DCRIII is the initials to my name. David Charles Ross III. But everyone is welcome to call me Dave, just don't ask me what I'm doing.

yup, I've enjoyed reading this thread. As for me, ba is what my son calls me and has since about day one. I pushed for papa initially and he gave me ba. I thought it was unique and special to be named by my son. Come to find out ba is what our vietnamese friend calls her dad which I think means "dad" in vietnamese. Also, my son's best friend calls her grandma ba(not sure why) and one of his other friends calls her dad ba, so the unique has lost some of it's luster, but the specialness remains. I'll let everyone wonder about the homebrew part(hint: it has to do with brewing beer and wine at home:w00t:).

I was a young guy driving my first car--an MG Midget. One day I saw another car on the road that simply took my breath away. I gave chase and hailed the other driver. The fellow told me that his car was a Morgan. It was a dark green British-made roadster. I was hooked and just had to have one. Several months later I reasoned that if I budgeted tightly I could manage the payments on a new Morgan. So I went to the Morgan dealer and ordered a dark green roadster. These cars were (and still are) handmade to order --and required that I wait a long time for mine to be built. The anticipation was intense and I suffered greatly.

Finally after many months, when delivery of the car was due in a matter of days... out of the blue I received the shocking news that the Air National Guard unit that I belonged to was being called up to be sent to Vietnam. The Morgan order was cancelled. I never saw the car!

Twenty five years after this disappointment, I was out looking for a sailboat for my family and heard about a Nimble 20 for sale several states away. After driving all day I arrived at the owner's home and saw the boat sitting in the driveway...a beautiful dark green boat patterned after the old British canoe yawls. I was immediately certain that this was going to be my boat...not even aware of why I was so attracted to it. The name of the boat was "Truce" -- the owner said it had something to do with making a truce with his girlfriend after an argument. After all the papers were signed, I hitched the boat's trailer up to my pickup and then climbed into "Truce" to get a few hours sleep before the long trip home.

The next day I hauled the boat over the New York Thruway, stopping often to check the trailer (but really just to admire the boat some more...!) Wherever I stopped people would come over and say, "Oh, what a beautiful old wood boat!" The boat was relatively new and made of fiberglass, but it looked like it was from a much earlier era. After many stops that day, I looked intently at the dark green boat and finally remembered the Morgan sports car that I never got. In one emotional moment, the boat became the Morgan Truce.

My wife and I and two daughters lived aboard Morgan Truce for over a year while we cruised the length of the Ohio River, the Gulf of Mexico and Intercoastal Waterway. It was the experience of a lifetime.

$nimble20a.jpg

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Short for Captain P. Overboard, a nickname I used when I ran the soundboard for some friends who were trying to be a New Wave/Punk band back in the early '80s.

I like Big Lebowski and I was born in '82. Not really significant at all. Not even my favorite movie. In fact I've only seen it once, lol. I just panic a little when I need to come up with a name. Passwords are easy. I just look around me, find an object, and change a couple letters to number. Like C0ff33Mug.

College nickname. First name and part of last name.

There were two Ed's on my dorm floor one year. I joined a table of floor-mates for a game one day and one of them said "Hey, it's the Ed.....ski", and it stuck.

Top Bottom