What's new

What do these terms mean?

I know this is probably a newbie question, but I just don't know what these terms mean:

-Badger hair knot size
-handle size
- loft size

It says this on all brushes I see on the internet, for example,

Fan shape 22mm best badger hair knot in faux ivory acrylic handle.

Handle 50mm loft 49mm

What is being measured when it says those terms? Also, is fan shaped better and does faux ivory mean it can still be soaked, as in the handle isn't hollow like some wood handles are and it WON'T float?

I know this is probably a newbie question, but I just don't know what these terms mean:

-Badger hair knot size
-handle size
- loft size

It says this on all brushes I see on the internet, for example,

Fan shape 22mm best badger hair knot in faux ivory acrylic handle.

Handle 50mm loft 49mm

What is being measured when it says those terms? Also, is fan shaped better and does faux ivory mean it can still be soaked, as in the handle isn't hollow like some wood handles are and it WON'T float?

The knot size is the thickness of the knot of hair as measured at the base where the hair goes into the handle.

The loft height is the height of the hair from the base where it meets the handle to the tips of the bristles.

The handle height is the height of the handle from its base to the top where the hair comes out.

The knot size is the diameter of the hair 'knot' at it's base (where it goes into the handle).

Handle measurement is describing the height of the handle.

loft measurement is describing the height of the hair form the top of the handle to the top of the hair knot.

If you add the handle measurement and loft measurement together you get the overall height of the brush.

Hope that helps.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'll take that project on:thumbup1:

Thanks mate! Post it back in this thread and I will keep an eye on it to upload it into Wiki when ready. Unless you want to send it directly in Wiki! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom