What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Seventh shave with the Timeless Ti, second time with the .68OC plate.

Pre: Hot shower
Razor: Timeless Ti .68OC Matte with Crown handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: AP Shave 26mm SilkSmoke bulb
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Stirling SDM AS followed by Stirling unscented balm

Well, this was shaping up to be an amazing shave. A Perma-Sharp and the .68OC are an excellent combination. First pass WTG on the face was incredible, but then operator error intervened and resulted in some problems. After the face pass, I moved onto the neck and was shocked by how rough and uncomfortable it suddenly was. Turns out that I was so busy marveling over the perfection of the pass on the face that in my distraction, I went straight into a first-pass ATG pass on my neck, which is never going to work out well given the chaos of my neck whiskers. Oops and ouch. I haven't done something like that in a long time and actually had to dig deep into my cabinet to find a styptic pencil. Lesson re-learned.

Date27.04.2024
366 daily shaves
118/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW LCGillette Rubie Plus (2)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (💯)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Splendid Saturday Shave with a mild yet very effective NEW Long Comb. Excellent razor.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

An old acquaintance who became a friend:

Yintal Bronze
BIC CP (24)

1712333158376_1.jpg

Saturday morning.

Gold Dollar 66 6/8 round point straight razor
Nom Carl pure badger brush
Razorock Black Bay soap
Brut Original aftershave

Cheap and cheerful. This one's my "reference" GD66 - the first one I bought which I'm keeping while the others have weird things done to them.

Screenshot from 2024-04-27 08-42-10.png

Smooth enough, but felt like it could be closer. Then again, it's one of my earlier edges and working around the stabiliser turned out to be something of a knack. The "reference" designation means I'm not likely to wave stones or film at it unless there's no alternative - it gets a run around the seatbelt webbing + Silverline white strop before finishing on leather when it comes out.

Nom are the cheaper Muhle brand, but I've always liked them (I also have one of the synthetics), and the Carl has a triangular section handle that makes it distinctive. Black Bay is a great soap, and once you've got used to the idea of sticking your brush into something that looks like a pot of mushy peas and rubbing pale green lather around your face, it takes some beating. Current production Brut, but it smells close enough to the original "original" to pass as original.

A good shave, verging on spectacular when the low cost of the items is considered (a straight razor for less than £5 new? Someone's having a laugh). I'll call it a "9".

GRUME 27 April 2024

Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report

1714215798329.jpeg

TODAY’ SHAVE AND CLEANUP:

Water
Razor(s)
Shaving Blade
Buffing Blade
Prep
Soap
Brushes
Rain (small
container)
Prep Cold Shave Hot​
KCG Shaving
VDH Buffing & tight spots​
Bic Chrome
#54 of 100
Shave
King C. Gillette
6 of 10
Cube 2.0 Menthol
Left Timeless Blue Bowl​
Noble Otter BARRBARR
Right
Timeless Blue Bowl​

Noble Otter​
1 Prep
2 Lathering

Passes
Quality
Rating
Nicks
Weepers
Stubble
2​
BBS​
10.0​
0​
0​
Very Light​

Comments: A near perfect two pass shave with only token buffing required for a smooth face feel. My BARBAR soap is nearly exhausted but I should be able to finish April with it. A tub of Noble Otter Lone Star is waiting under the sink counter.

Cleanup:
  • Rinsed & dried face
  • Witch Hazel Dickinsons f/b buffing
  • A/S Aqua Musk f/b buffing
  • Omega Alum stick
  • Deodorant: Mennen Speed Stick

Top Bottom