What's new

What did you reload today?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
@Whisky, I loaded 20 rounds each of 9mm 124 gr. plated RN, Federal cases and individually weighed 4.8 gr. of Unique with Fiocchi, CCI and Federal primers. After tomorrows RSO match, I will chronograph the above mentioned rounds to see if there is any significant difference in primer types for this particular application. Just for the heck of it.
I'm interested in knowing the results. A Labrador is on my Christmas list so that I can start chronographing my reloads at an indoor range. I miss being able to shoot outdoors 11 months out of the year.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm interested in knowing the results. A Labrador is on my Christmas list so that I can start chronographing my reloads at an indoor range. I miss being able to shoot outdoors 11 months out of the year.
Be aware that there is now the unit from Garmin to consider as well.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@Whisky , as promised, I chronographed 20 rounds each of 124 gr, plated RN over individually measured charges of 4.8 gr. of Unique powder in Federal cases, primed with CCI, Fiocchi and Federal primers. I used my SIG P365 pistol and the Labradar chronograph. I was a bit surprised by the performance of the CCI primers, perhaps another powder choice would have had different results. But obviously, both CCI and Fiocchi are not as consistent as Federal primers. The results:

CCI
Average 932 FPS
High 979 FPS
Low 858 FPS
ES 121
SD 28.9

Fiocchi
Ave. 884 FPS
High 954 FPS
Low 792 FPS
ES 159
SD 39.7

Federal
Ave. 984 FPS
High 1009 FPS
Low 962
ES 46
SD 14.3
The above results makes me wonder if Unique is too slow burning for use in short barrels and whether a faster burning powder would have resulted in more uniform results. Regardless, there is certainly a difference in performance in the primers used.

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
That’s interesting. The Federal primed loads are the only ones that are close velocities I’m seeing for 4.8gr of unique. The Fiocchi loads dropped down into .45acp velocities.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That’s interesting. The Federal primed loads are the only ones that are close velocities I’m seeing for 4.8gr of unique. The Fiocchi loads dropped down into .45acp velocities.
Also keep in mind this was from the 3.1 inch barrel of the P365, previously when I chrono'ed that load from my Glock 19, I got about 75-100 FPS greater.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I may repeat this exercise with Win. 231 powder and shoot from my G19 to see if the ES and SD tighten up any.
It’ll probably be after the holidays but I hope to do a lot of load work up. I have Fiocchi, CCI, Federal, Winchester, Wolf, and Aguilla primers to test.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I may repeat this exercise with Win. 231 powder and shoot from my G19 to see if the ES and SD tighten up any.
I began working up a 9 mm load with Win 231 powder and Federal primers and cases. I chrono'ed them with the Labradar and shot through my Glock 19. It came as no surprise that as I approached the max load, ES and SD values shrank. Under a 124 gr. plated round nose bullet, 4.4 gr. of Win. 231 is about max. YMMV. I will continue with this loading for the purpose of comparing primers, but it is a bit snappy for routine practice and informal competition use. This load with Federal primers gave an average velocity of 1055, ES of 32 and an SD of 9.1 for ten rounds. Temperature was about 37 degrees, don't know if that had any significant effect.

Win. 231 is a more consistent performer than Unique for the 9mm.

I probably would have never gone to the trouble to do all this if it wasn't for the Labradar being so easy to set up and quick to get into operation. Our range has steel plates at 100 yds. and with the red dot on the Labradar unit, alignment is quick and easy. I then shoot at the plate, doesn't matter if I hit it or not. So no time wasted setting up a target. Easy peasy.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The Garmin Doppler Chrono is on my wish list to Santa. Midway lists them as backordered and expected in stock around Dec. 14. Everywhere else says 4-16weeks. We’ll see what happens. Apparently Cabelas and Bass Pro get them in but don’t advertise them and don’t sell them online. May need to swing by Cabelas in the next few days.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I repeated the chronographing of a 9mm load of 4.4 gr. Win. 231 with different primers, 20 rounds each. Temperature was 72 degrees.
Fiocchi
Ave. 1024
Hi 1057
Lo 997
ES 60
SD 18.3

CCI
Ave. 1026
Hi 1051
Lo 1005
ES 46
ED 13.7

Federal
Ave. 1045
Hi 1077
Lo 1022
ES 55
SD 14.1

The CCI primers were much more consistent with Win. 231, as were the Fiocchi.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Loaded about 150 9 mm and de-primed a few hundred (coffee can full) 9 mm cases in preparation for wet tumbling yesterday.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Normausa has Argentinian made SPP for $49.99, I’m set but it’s a killer deal for anyone that needs SPP.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Back in the game! Was shooting a lot of 9mm last year, which is cheap.

With this new 32 S&WL revolver, a set of dies cost the same as a box of ammo, so.

100 Starline brass, 100 Fiochhi once-fired brass, 78 gr HiTek No18 Cowboy projos from MBC ... hate buying bullets. Having fits trying to get a really good 32 mold, still. There aren't nearly as many mold designs in 32, or .313. Need a Keith or wadcutter.

zxcc.jpg

Haven't settled on a powder load yet, prolly Red Dot.

Also got a new Lee bench priming tool. I do like it. Uses the holders I already had.

zcxc.jpg

AA

I just reloaded some 52 gr Bergers in 223 AI with N132 and Re7. I also loaded some 68 gr Eubers in 6 br to verify recent results. Both for 100 yard benchrest fun. Also beginning to play with annealing and depth variation. I don't compete though, except with myself.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Went with 2 grains of Red Dot, 78 gr HiTek RN. This should clear the barrel. :c6: Mr. Expert Caster here once got one stuck in the barrel of a Colt. Ah, the importance of a thou ...

In impatience and disgust, ordered a Lee mold in a design I don't love, but was in stock. I probably don't need a tiny, pea-sized Keith-style slug anyways. It's a proprietary Lee 90 gr SWC design I had trouble casting in 9mm... It looks like it will work. People don't hate it. I really do prefer steel Lymans, but actually have worked OK with Lee molds in .452.

zxdvv.png

Any recommendations for a new sizer system? The Lee kits I like don't come in .313.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A hundred more of 32 S&WL.... Same load.

🤔 At $40-44 box, my tired arm feels all right. 😉 Because that's the one that reaches for the wallet... But those dies paid for themselves quick, and I haven't even started casting....

AA

Top Bottom