What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I learned that the bottom back end of my razor is sharper than the middle of the edge. I usually do not use the back edge, but that is what I learned today.
I am unsure when one would use the very back of the heel.
The razor I have been learning how to hone has an uneven bevel width and the tip and the heel are much better than the middle. The bevel is very thin in the middle.
Almost time to toss the Razor and go to the next. I purchased a halfway decent lot.
What is the width of the blade? Don't toss it for that, it's a correctable challenge and one to learn as many blades will rely on this skill for getting the edge sharp across the blade.

When honing, always test the whole edge, heel, tip, and midblade are all important and useful in different parts of your shave. You need a rolling X stroke if you're having trouble with your blade, or may need to work the spine even, but don't throw out the blade until you try to learn how to identify the problem and fix it.

It won't be the last time you see this problem. Likely the spine isn't completely flat, if you tape the edge you can sharpie test the spine.

It feels like it would be so much easier with a smaller blade, I have no clue what to do with half of it that seems to be in the way all the time
Go for it! Get a shorter blade. I’ve got one that’s about 2cm shorter than a typical blade and I love it. I’ve cut myself with the toe of regular length blades a few times when I lose track of where it is, but never with this one.

IMG_2438.jpeg

I am right handed and need to learn how to better hold my straight with my left hand, all my cut are on the left cheek almost. Time to dive back in the wiki again and watch a few video, sometime a picture is worth a thousand word

I learned in my first three shaves with my straights that I'm not going to cut an ear off, nor will I slice my nose clean off my face. I also learned on the first Straight Razor Shave, after that very first downward stroke, where I had to overcome any reservations or hesitations to start, once the blade was moving and cutting, it got 10,000 times easier for the second stroke.

On my second shave, I learned that again I wasn't going to cut myself all up, I also learned I could hear and feel the feedback from the razor more so than I did with the DE razors.

On my third shave, I learned I could get closer to the beard on my right-hand side with just a bit of practice.

All in due time.

Today I learnt that I could shave my left side of the neck without cutting the jugular vein. I also learn to not try and drop the cloth strop while stropping. I wanted to just hold the leather strop and in the process I reversed the lap, edge first. Just for a short section. Luckily the nick was lower on the strop. I still have a good 12 inches of clean strop. I finished up the 60 laps with the razor. It shaved like yesterday so the edge wasn’t damaged. I will attempt to sand the nick out. It’s across the strop and not really deep. It’s like I attempted shaved a sliver of leather off. Any advice is much appreciated.

Today I learnt that I could shave my left side of the neck without cutting the jugular vein. I also learn to not try and drop the cloth strop while stropping. I wanted to just hold the leather strop and in the process I reversed the lap, edge first. Just for a short section. Luckily the nick was lower on the strop. I still have a good 12 inches of clean strop. I finished up the 60 laps with the razor. It shaved like yesterday so the edge wasn’t damaged. I will attempt to sand the nick out. It’s across the strop and not really deep. It’s like I attempted shaved a sliver of leather off. Any advice is much appreciated.
You’ve already got the right idea. All you can do is sand the nicked area flat. The small low spot won’t affect your stropping at all. Everybody has nicked their strop at some point.

“I will attempt to sand the nick out. It’s across the strop and not really deep. It’s like I attempted shaved a sliver of leather off. Any advice is much appreciated.”

If you can find the piece or if it is a flap, you can glue it with rubber cement or silicone, apply to the edges with a toothpick.

Sanding works also as does scraping with a large sharp knife or cabinet scraper.

The razor will glide over the dip.

Post a pic for better advice.

“I will attempt to sand the nick out. It’s across the strop and not really deep. It’s like I attempted shaved a sliver of leather off. Any advice is much appreciated.”

If you can find the piece or if it is a flap, you can glue it with rubber cement or silicone, apply to the edges with a toothpick.

Sanding works also as does scraping with a large sharp knife or cabinet scraper.

The razor will glide over the dip.

Post a pic for better advice.
I used 400 grit and 600 grit. It took some time, but I got it smoothed over. Just a slight indention where the nick was. I may continue to work on it to get it smoother. Do I need to condition the sanded leather with any oil? If so, what oil is recommended?

Today I learnt that I am not feeling the blade anywhere near as well with my DE razors vs my straights. I am still in the early phase of straight razor shaving, my skills are not to the level of a DFS shave, so I use my DE to touch up here and there, although I use the DE less and less every day. The difference in blade feel attributed to me nicking myself just under the lower lip while trimming up the goatee area with the DE today. I can hardly feel any blade feel now that I'm getting accustomed to the blade feel a Straight provides.

I also learnt that I should be cautious while transitioning from face to neck, I got a bite today, yet no blood was drawn. The edge is telling me to pay attention and learn more. I am figuring out the transition from face to chin more and more every day. Practice, practice.
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

I must say that I truly look forward to the shaves with the straights, not that I didn't enjoy and look forward to my shaves when I was 100% DE shaver. But there is a new sense of enthusiasm when I wake in the morning anticipating the shave to come and what I'll learn.

As long as it is smooth, you are good. I use Olive oil, it will not go rancid as some say. Many custom saddle makers use and recommend it.

Dampen the strop with a damp sponge or wet paper towel on both sides and the edges, wait 10-15 minutes for the water to absorb, then dip a folded paper towel into a tablespoon of oil and dab onto the whole strop. The water will make the leather more absorbent.

Do not over oil at one time wait a day or two for the oil to absorb, it may look blotchy at first, but the color will even out.

If needed add another cycle of oil. If you roll the strop on a hanging rolling pin, it will soften the leather dramatically.

Top Bottom