What's new

What are your TOP 3 SE's?

What are your top three favorite Single Edge razors?

1. Ever Ready 1912
2. GEM Clug Pruf
3. Ever Ready 1924

Honorable Mention Ever Ready 1914
$20150910_123316 (1).jpg

1. GEM Junior Bar
2. GEM Demaskeene
3. GEM 1912

Two and three might flip-flop depending on whether I want more mild or less mild.

Honorable mention: GEM OCMM

1. GEM Damaskeene
2. Schick 'G' Injector
3. GEM Jr.

Still many SE's I have not had a chance to try.

That's a tough one. By "favorite" do we mean the ones most used, or the ones that would be the most difficult to replace? Are we talking from the viewpoint of a user or a collector?

Well, here are the 3 that I use the most:

$fav3.jpg

From left: Schick early E2, Gem Cutlery Co. Damaskeene w/Matador S2 stainless steel handle, Ever-Ready 1924 w/Matador handle.

I also have an Ever-Ready Improved 1912, also with a Matador handle, that belongs in the picture, but we're limiting it to 3.

--Bob

That's a tough one. By "favorite" do we mean the ones most used, or the ones that would be the most difficult to replace? Are we talking from the viewpoint of a user or a collector?

Well, here are the 3 that I use the most:

View attachment 600052

From left: Schick early E2, Gem Cutlery Co. Damaskeene w/Matador S2 stainless steel handle, Ever-Ready 1924 w/Matador handle.

I also have an Ever-Ready Improved 1912, also with a Matador handle, that belongs in the picture, but we're limiting it to 3.

--Bob

Bob are those regular DE Manador handles? I didn't know that they would fit a SE.:blink:

Last edited:
Bob are those regular DE Manador handles? I didn't know that they would fit a SE.

Yes, they're standard DE handles. Some SE's like the 1924 and Ever-Ready 1912's have a standard 10-32 thread for the handle - same as a DE, just female instead of male. So, with the addition of a setscrew we can convert a DE handle to an SE handle.

$setscrew.JPG

The Damaskeene has a smaller threaded hole, so it was necessary to drill it out and tap it to the 10-32 thread. Of course, this means that I can no longer use the original handle.

You'll notice that the Damaskeene has some plating loss. I would never do something like this to a pristine collector-grade Damaskeene.

Anyone trying this should definitely use a stainless steel setscrew.

--Bob

My list probably changes all the time, I am indesisive but

Ever Ready 1919
Ever Ready 1912 British
Gem Junior.

Last edited:
Top Bottom