What's new

What Are Your Food Goals for 2015?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Now, now, wait a minute...those are good names. What about the oval?
What about the oval?...................The Beast or Big Bertha.

I cooked my first reverse sear steak today, after reading so much about it here over the past few days. Very nice.
Think this would be good for the extra thick cuts.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
What about the oval?...................The Beast or Big Bertha.

I cooked my first reverse sear steak today, after reading so much about it here over the past few days. Very nice.
Think this would be good for the extra thick cuts.

What, when, where, how? I'm trying to imagine what it looked like.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
What, when, where, how? I'm trying to imagine what it looked like.
What, - reverse sear Rib Eye steak
when, - Last night
where, - Home......that's where the best steak are.
how? - In the oven first, low and slow, rest then sear in a pan for the win.
I'm trying to imagine what it looked like. - Perfection, sorry no photo's.........it's in my belly.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My brother invited me to his annual cook-off competition in Cuero, Texas. The theme is Raging-Cagin. The meal categories for the competition are brisket, gumbo, chili, beans, pork spare ribs, margarita and Calcutta. I have no idea what margarita and Calcutta is.

The question is, what should I make for the competition? I wasn't really planning on entering the competition, but just to supply a good meal for the guys while they cooked and hung out....Crap
:w00t:

Maybe I ought to update my cooking goals list to include a competition?

Unless you are taking your smoker to the competition I would pass on trying to do anything that requires you to really know your smoker. Unless you're just that good :001_cool:

What are the ground rules for the beans? You could take some Texas Caviar or make some Chili. Are you entering the competition for sure?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Unless you are taking your smoker to the competition I would pass on trying to do anything that requires you to really know your smoker. Unless you're just that good :001_cool:

What are the ground rules for the beans? You could take some Texas Caviar or make some Chili. Are you entering the competition for sure?

I talked with the Brother today. He is committed to the brisket. So, that leaves chili for me, which is great because I might just have a small idea about how to make it;) It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun and my first time to enter.

Last edited:
My wife and I have agreed that 2015 will be a year alternating nights in the kitchen. I cook, she cleans one night and vice versa on the next. Our goal is no repeats. Something new every night. We've delved into Italian, Greek, Moroccan, American, Thai and French cuisines so far. It's been delicious and quite fun. As an aside, it gives added merit to dining out and proves MUCH more of a reward for the both of us, when we do. Doing this, so far, has helped in different avenues of our home life, as well. It has been keeping things level. More time to get things you want/need done, guilt free. Also we get the chance at an attempt to impress each other with our surprise meal choice for the night. My personal goal is to find the strength in myself to keep this up, as it has been nice forming a tighter bond with my best friend and partner, since we started this.

Last edited:
My wife and I have agreed that 2015 will be a year alternating nights in the kitchen. I cook, she cleans one night and vice versa on the next. Our goal is no repeats. Something new every night. We've delved into Italian, Greek, Moroccan, American, Thai and French cuisines so far. It's been delicious and quite fun. As an aside, it gives added merit to dining out and proves MUCH more of a reward for the both of us, when we do. Doing this, so far, has helped in different avenues of our home life, as well. It has been keeping things level. More time to get things you want/need done, guilt free. Also we get the chance at an attempt to impress each other with our surprise meal choice for the night. My personal goal is to find the strength in myself to keep this up, as it has been nice forming a tighter bond with my best friend and partner, since we started this.
I like this idea, especially no repeats. Food is an expression of love, and any opportunity to express your love and appreciation to the one you love should be taken.

Well said, sir. Well said. And thank you!
You're welcome!

So tonight was the Moroccan Lamb Stew. It was just OK. I'm not sure what went wrong or if it was just a bad recipe. Maybe it just didn't live up to the (very high) expectations in my mind. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1422149787896.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422149787896.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 32

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I met my Brother at a Restaurant in a little German town called Fredericksburg. For the first time I ate Grilled Blue Marlin. Sorry no pics...I forgot. Visited some wineries too. It was a good day.

I think a good goal is to eat fish, I've never tried, just like the Blue Marlin.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I met my Brother at a Restaurant in a little German town called Fredericksburg. For the first time I ate Grilled Blue Marlin. Sorry no pics...I forgot. Visited some wineries too. It was a good day.

I think a good goal is to eat fish, I've never tried, just like the Blue Marlin.

Have you ever been to Der Lindenbaum? The have a fantastic Sauerbraten. Bring cash or check, though.

Top Bottom