What's new

What are you hoarding today?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Soaps. Especially hard soaps that are discontinued. Tabac tallow, MWF, Palmolive and Wilkinson sticks, and about 30 Arko sticks for good measure.

It’s almost like the discontinuation of a long great and famous product, teaches us to hoard or at least compulsively buy?

I’m very particular when choosing an underarm deodorant. Many years ago, the long time favorite brand of deodorant I used discontinued and I wasn’t prepared.

It took me many months and a bit of time, money and research to find something else I could not only tolerate, but enjoy using. When I finally found a replacement?

That replacement discontinued also! Not to be left wanting I panic purchased and hoarded up all I could find in that brand of roll on deodorant at $7 a bottle. Purchased a few years worth and finally worked down to my last bottle.

I looked online and it’s nowhere to be found, but the rare bottles can still be had at $30 or more! Took me months again finding another replacement, which seems to get harder to find each time.

Found a replacement just a couple of months ago and the places that sell it are already starting to not restock it? It’s like I’m bad luck to whatever brand I choose because they go under the minute I choose them? I have already purchased about 30 bottles of this current deodorant and will keep hoarding it until I can’t, just because I’m simply exhausted from having to constantly search for the right replacement.

I’m trying not to have hoarding issues because of this experience, but you may see me on a reality show getting an intervention if this keeps up! :)

I have a lot of stuff*:

3 dozen DE razors (mostly vintage)
4 SE razors
1400 DE blades
600 SE blades
7 half-blade shavettes
5 AC blade shavettes
100 AC blades
4 straight razors
15 tubs of soap and cream (at least)
15 brushes
A bunch of bottles of aftershave

*Estimated numbers

I'm done buying razors and hardware, and plan to start gifting some of it. Recently, I've purchased a few jars of soap, lassoed in by some sales, but my hoarding currently is limited to my favorite aftershave:

Avon Spicy

It is the perfect codger scent, similar to Old Spice, but with a menthol component. Its wonderful, and the supply is finite - unless Avon starts making it, the supply is limited to what currently exists, and no more.

Anyway, I probably have at least 48oz of the stuff, and can't resist buying every bottle I find at local antique shops. I don't really care for the goofy bottles (cars, wildlife, screwdrivers, etc) and transfer the AS to other vintage Avon bottles, which I did buy on the 'bay:

(Center bottle is a non-Avon vintage bottle.)

20230608_161133.jpg

I also cannot resist a glass Pinaud bottle:

20230608_161050.jpg

So, short answer:

Done hoarding, but will ALWAYS buy:

Avon Spicy
Pinaud bottles
Rare razors found in the wild

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Question: How can a minimalist, like me, be a hoarder?

Restock your Proraso green, preshave cubes, and Bic blades as though they were being discontinued and your were being cloned. Also, adopt Draco’s extended family. Stockpile MREs so you’ll always have the energy to whip up lather.

The only one really stopping you from shameful, self-destructive indulgence is you

I have a lot of stuff*:

3 dozen DE razors (mostly vintage)
4 SE razors
1400 DE blades
600 SE blades
7 half-blade shavettes
5 AC blade shavettes
100 AC blades
4 straight razors
15 tubs of soap and cream (at least)
15 brushes
A bunch of bottles of aftershave

*Estimated numbers

I'm done buying razors and hardware, and plan to start gifting some of it. Recently, I've purchased a few jars of soap, lassoed in by some sales, but my hoarding currently is limited to my favorite aftershave:

Avon Spicy

It is the perfect codger scent, similar to Old Spice, but with a menthol component. Its wonderful, and the supply is finite - unless Avon starts making it, the supply is limited to what currently exists, and no more.

Anyway, I probably have at least 48oz of the stuff, and can't resist buying every bottle I find at local antique shops. I don't really care for the goofy bottles (cars, wildlife, screwdrivers, etc) and transfer the AS to other vintage Avon bottles, which I did buy on the 'bay:

(Center bottle is a non-Avon vintage bottle.)

View attachment 1667730

I also cannot resist a glass Pinaud bottle:

View attachment 1667729

So, short answer:

Done hoarding, but will ALWAYS buy:

Avon Spicy
Pinaud bottles
Rare razors found in the wild
Three time a year there is a huge flea market a couple hours from here. One year l saw a glass Clubman bottle in the first tent we came to. Said l dont want to carry it around all day and will grab it on the way out. Yep it was gone when we came back and havnt seen one since.

I'm currently in the post-hoarding stage of the disorder. My hoarding days are behind me, now I have to use all this stuff up (before death, hopefully). Soaps in the hoard include Speick tallow, Tabac tallow, Fine tallow, Klar Seifen, Golddachs, Provence Sante and Cella Extra Extra Bio (I got good deals on some of these, so stocked up). There are others, too, but fairly small quantities of those.

:laugh:
I have far more Tabac than I will ever be allowed to use ...

For my part, I was recently in the 2022 GRUYERE, and am currently in the 2023 GRUYERE.

Speick shave stick was reformulated to vegan in 2022. I found an unknown stash of the tallow version, and bought the entire stock during the restock period.

I am contemplating dropping out of the 2023 GRUYERE to stock up on tallow MWF.
The Kent pucks smell better...

I've got around 250 Polsilver Stainless, which doesn't sound like much of a hoard, but I only use a DE once a week, and rotate lots of other blades. These are unquestionably the best blades I've found, but I get equally good shaves from Wizamets, Kai, Israeli Reds and others.

If nothing else, it's taught me that hoarding may fill a psychological need, but it's sort of pointless; other products are just as good, and even if you're convinced they're not, the difference is marginal at best. Particularly given the amount of time you actually spend shaving...
I too have amassed a healthy stash of PolSilvers, Reds, and Wizamets. Really love those blades, but in all fairness I was strictly a DE shaver when they were procured. These days, I rarely conduct a shave without the Straight as my primary instrument, relegating the trusty DE for a single touchup pass; thereby exponentially increasing the depth of said stash.

Three time a year there is a huge flea market a couple hours from here. One year l saw a glass Clubman bottle in the first tent we came to. Said l dont want to carry it around all day and will grab it on the way out. Yep it was gone when we came back and havnt seen one since.

I found one about a week ago at a large indoor antique shop. It was very close to the door, and I found it about a minute after I entered the large store.

I grabbed it and held onto it like grim death as I waded through the rest of the store. 😄😄😄

And when I go to large flea markets and antique shows I carry a small sling pack. Gun shows too, if allowed.

Restock your Proraso green, preshave cubes, and Bic blades as though they were being discontinued and your were being cloned. Also, adopt Draco’s extended family. Stockpile MREs so you’ll always have the energy to whip up lather.

The only one really stopping you from shameful, self-destructive indulgence is you
While deployed in Iraq, my favorite MRE was the beef stew unit.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Soaps. Especially hard soaps that are discontinued. Tabac tallow, MWF, Palmolive and Wilkinson sticks, and about 30 Arko sticks for good measure.
Wow. That is the good stuff.
Just ordered some 500 Wizamets to bring my stock 1.7k btw Iridium is 4.9k per ounce today.
You need to up those numbers, those are rookie numbers
I have far more Tabac than I will ever be allowed to use ...

The Kent pucks smell better...

I too have amassed a healthy stash of PolSilvers, Reds, and Wizamets. Really love those blades, but in all fairness I was strictly a DE shaver when they were procured. These days, I rarely conduct a shave without the Straight as my primary instrument, relegating the trusty DE for a single touchup pass; thereby exponentially increasing the depth of said stash.
I have soured on the idea of MWF after seeing how they treated Kent.
See, it’s not HOARDING… it’s an INVESTMENT. 👍
It's only hoarding if SWMBO finds out.

Top Bottom