What's new

what are some problems you see in my stropping here

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Is that a shell strop? I ask because your strop surface is awful shiny. Got a picture of it? I struggled for years with ineffective stropping. Too light of a touch and a very polished shell strop. Now I climb on my Tony Miller horsehide and strop like I mean it. Eureka. A really big Eureka for me.

Your stropping will get better with practice. Practice with a butter knife. Practice keeping the back of it on the strop while flipping. Eventually you will be able to flip without taking the spine off of the strop and readjusting grip. Remember, consistent pressure in both directions. Since I seem to be stropping declined until recently, I'm curious to see what others have to say. I'd say you're off to a good start!

Is your stropping not doing the job? If I were you I'd practice and then add some torque into the strop after I was real comfortable with the strokes and flipping. Don't laugh, I was really dumb struck by it all when I started. The flips were scary and the razor kept wanting to come off the strop at the end of the stroke. Yes, it gets better....

Hard to tell much from the video, your hand is in the way.

You want to flip with your fingers, not your wrist.

Hold the razor by the corners of the tang, on corner in the middle of the thumb pad, opposite corner in the second joint of index finger. Flip using the thumb, like flipping a switch.

Strop in one direction, stop, flip, start forward motion in opposite direction and land the bevel on the strop once the razor is moving.

This will prevent any nicks or cuts and softly land the razor on the strop.

Pressure and strop tension look good.

Your wrist should remain nearly motionless, the strop should be pulled firmly allowing no sagging. There should be enough pressure to keep the entire blade flat against the strop the entire time without lifting the blade from the strop. It appears from the video that there is some hesitation during the movement indicating some lack of confidence which will improve with continued practice. Just slow down and practice perfect movements. Stand square to the pivot of the strop with the strop pulled firmly into your side at about waist height. Relax, keep your knees slightly bent, and remember to breathe.

Top Bottom