What's new

What are 5.11 products like?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've been looking at the 5.11 website lately, thinking of ordering an item or two ... and wonder what the quality/durability/&c of the garments is like. I'm thinking of trying a pair of shorts or two.

Thoughts?

I have a few pairs of their tactical pants in sage and tan and they are still good after fairly heavy use for the past 4 years. I'd say they are very good pants and I'd buy them again.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Wear pretty much every day their tactical pants, great value and they are holding up extremely well.
Got five different colors. Great for travel as well, many pockets.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wear pretty much every day their tactical pants, great value and they are holding up extremely well.
Got five different colors. Great for travel as well, many pockets.

I need to find a local distributor. I don't order clothes on line due to sizing issues. One companies inch never seems to match another companies inch :lol:

on edit: That was easy- Academy Sports carries them, and I live a mile away.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I need to find a local distributor. I don't order clothes on line due to sizing issues. One companies inch never seems to match another companies inch :lol:

on edit: That was easy- Academy Sports carries them, and I live a mile away.

I buy therm from Chief Supply, they are very good to size, you can order them by width and length. Gander Mountain has some colors.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Owens are a unique and special breed.

Yes, we are. Although I am unused to being the other Owen in the group :biggrin: Did you ever hear my story of the dream your username caused me? I dreamed my family was being pursued by a killer whale. The weird thing is that it was in Hurst, TX, (several hundred miles from the ocean) and it kept jumping at us out of trees.

"I've been looking at the 5.11 website lately, thinking of ordering an item or two ... and wonder what the quality/durability/&c of the garments is like. I'm thinking of trying a pair of shorts or two."

I have had 5.11 pants since they were Royal Robbins way back in the day. 5.11 is starting to be more available at national sporting good retailers as well. Having said that, I would make the following observations:

Their majority cotton fabric pants stay wet when they get wet via sweat/water etc. more than most cotton based pants in my exp.

Much of their line fits rather baggy and always has putting aside today's standard.

Many of the cool kids in MIL/LEO/GOVT and those who choose to emulate them have switched to brands like Vertx, Kuhl, Prana and Carhartt in the same pricepoint. (50-80 retail).

At full retail, I like the brands I mentioned above for a bit more contemporary styling and more modern fabric availability.
I also simply want to look less "tactical teddy" and more "hiker man".

On sale, check out similar offering on Sierra Trading Post, my go to site for all things outdoor clothing related etc. Give then an email and they will send you codes for an additional 15-30% of all the time over and above the initial 30-50% discount on most items.

If Budget is a real concern:
In hand, Wal-Mart sells Dickie Brand work pants ( think Carhartt) and Wrangler Brand cargo pants/shorts in the sub 25 range. I have used both in a variety of outdoor and shooting/training endeavors with solid success.

Online, LAPolicegear often has name brands at a discount and has their in house brand with a whole host of shorts and pants ( to include poly cotton blends and slimmer styles) for 20-35 per unit.

The tactical pants I got from 511, I think they are the old version of the tactical cargo pants, are not baggy and rather form-fitting. And I don't have fat legs.

Yes, we are. Although I am unused to being the other Owen in the group :biggrin: Did you ever hear my story of the dream your username caused me? I dreamed my family was being pursued by a killer whale. The weird thing is that it was in Hurst, TX, (several hundred miles from the ocean) and it kept jumping at us out of trees.

Their method of attack is appalling. Leaping from trees, crushing their prey, and scraping what is left from the forest floor with their baleen.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the replies ... I never expected to learn about Texas tree whale attacks, though!!

Top Bottom