What's new

What Am I doing wrong? Razor bumps no matter what I do!

A good straight razor will end bumps forever (not a shavette). They are actually very gentle once they are professionally honed.

Am I the only person who thinks that @NorthernerShave's neck looks fine?

As somone with pale, sensitive skin, I often have worse irritation than this despite >10 years of traditional shaving practice, especially when I shave for several days in succession.

I almost never get weepers, but I have come to accept a bit of irritation as the cost of doing business. Good prep and very sharp blades help, but even then it takes only the slightest deviation from flawless technique for the follicles around my jawline or neckline to look irritated. Even a WTG pass can do it if the blade isn't up to snuff, and I don't have to feel sore to look sore.

It's still massively better than the days when I used cartridges, but the only way I am going to be 100% irritation free for 100% of the time is to grow a beard...and that ain't happening.

So, my advice would be not to worry about it. I can barely see a problem, and I doubt anyone else can either.

Am I the only person who thinks that @NorthernerShave's neck looks fine?

As somone with pale, sensitive skin, I often have worse irritation than this despite >10 years of traditional shaving practice, especially when I shave for several days in succession.

I almost never get weepers, but I have come to accept a bit of irritation as the cost of doing business. Good prep and very sharp blades help, but even then it takes only the slightest deviation from flawless technique for the follicles around my jawline or neckline to look irritated. Even a WTG pass can do it if the blade isn't up to snuff, and I don't have to feel sore to look sore.

It's still massively better than the days when I used cartridges, but the only way I am going to be 100% irritation free for 100% of the time is to grow a beard...and that ain't happening.

So, my advice would be not to worry about it. I can barely see a problem, and I doubt anyone else can either

Congratulations. Is it your neck? No. The whole point in shaving is to be happy with the results, which I wasn’t happy with the results so I was asking for others opinions, which if people didn’t see anything or think is bad they wouldn’t have all responded with tips and tricks.

So maybe quit being a goblin and quit stirring the pot.

Well I’ve tried all your guys advice with skincare changes, a much sharper blade, and it helped tremendously.

What I actually found that helped a lot, was not showering before hand. I found if I just start splashing my face with super cold water and really work it in, use a pre shave, super sharp blade like a feather, use cold water for the lather and to soak my brush in and rinse my blade between strokes with cold water, it seemed to add the final touch in no irritation?

Not sure what it was about taking a shower before hand, but I’m guessing like some of you said it softens the whiskers too much and it drags over and pulls the hair instead of cutting it, even if I use cold water after a shave.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with their tips!

So maybe quit being a goblin and quit stirring the pot.

Alright, calm down, dear! I was asking a legitimate question and hopefully offering some reassurance that it isn't as noticeable to other people as it is to you. At least, that's what I thought I was doing but I can see I probably got the tone wrong.

Perhaps I should have said, "Don't worry about it too much because it isn't very noticeable, but don't stop looking for improvements". Maybe that would have been more acceptable as well as more reflective of my true position (because I am always chasing perfection too). Hopefully, you at least took something of help from my account of my own experiences, as you say that you went to a much sharper blade. At least that bit was intended, even if I got the rest so catastrophically wrong.

Top Bottom