What's new

What Am I doing wrong? Razor bumps no matter what I do!

I’m really at a loss. What am I doing wrong here that makes me result in getting razor bumps?? I’ve tried cold water shaving, pre shaves creams, pre shave oils, hot towel around my neck, different blades, different safety razors, different after market “anti bump” products, after shave balms, creams, alcohol based after shaves, alum blocks I don’t get it.

I take a hot shower before I shave and wash the area around my neck where I always get it. I think my hair grows diagonally up, but if I shave diagonally up I get the bumps, shave to the side I get bumps.. if I shave up? I get razor bumps. I’m sick and tired of this… anyone have any insight?? I have Shark DE blades and Wilkinson Sword DE blades, I have two different Wilkinson sword safety razors, the King C. Gillette safety razor and a Wahl safety razor..

I’ve tried Boar Hair shaving brushes, Synthetic, Badgers and Horse hair as well.. face lathering and bowl lathering …

Attachments

• IMG_5887.jpeg
    IMG_5887.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5888.jpeg
    IMG_5888.jpeg
    1,021 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5889.jpeg
    IMG_5889.jpeg
    984.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5890.jpeg
    IMG_5890.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg
    993.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5891.jpeg
    IMG_5891.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have this going on with my skin and the issue (mostly) resolved itself when improving my skincare routine. Here's what I do:

Mornings - wash my face with a gentle cleanser, pat dry, tendskin, wait to dry, facial lotion (I use cetaphil) on top
Evenings - Shower and use exfoliating facial cleanser (I use aveeno foaming), two pass shave, tendskin, balm on top

Hope this helps! YMMV, but exfoliation was a game changer on my end

What about trying to stretch your skin while shaving? Hold it down with your hand a the bottom of your neck and stick your chin out? Its a common technique when using a straight razor.

Also, could pressure have something to do with it?

I have Shark DE blades and Wilkinson Sword DE blades
Bumps can come from not so sharp blades. These two are good examples, have you tried a sharper blade? Feather, BIC etc?

I don't know if you're stretching the skin or not, but you could try bullfroging, the exact opposite. If I stretch my neck I get in trouble immediately.

You mentioned a hot shower. Remember that even though a shower softens the hair, people with sensitive skin tend to get irritation even if the shave is done with cold water subsequently. Hot water strips downs natural oils, can increase natural inflammation response and dries the skin. To be clear, these can be an issue with over sensitive skin types, not everyone.

I usually shave before shower, cold water only and I always give it some soaking time before the blade comes. Hydration doesn't need to happen in the shower.

Keep us posted.

To alleviate the irritation, try some Hydrocortisone cream available at your local pharmacy. Then like @Alex Jr mentioned, go easy with the hot water showers, and make it mildly warm. You did not mention how often you shave that area, but resting the skin after an episode of bumps is important.

And then irritation is a symptom of too much friction or a skin allergy, but I would eliminate the first one and make sure you are using something with good lubrication properties. I would not know what to recommend so maybe someone else more knowledgeable in soaps and creams can help. But I think Jack Black beard lube is excellent in that category. Hope you get it figured out!

Greetings and welcome to B&B @NorthernerShave! I am a new member as well, but have been a long time lurker.

The most sensitive, difficult are to shave is the bottom 1-2 inches of my neck. While most of my neck hair grows downward, this hair grows upward and lies extremely flat to the skin which can catch the blade. I see that you've tried many things, but don't give up.

Cold water shaving, using a sharp blade (Nacet/GSB) which I only ever use for four shaves at the most and two passes with the grain before shaving against the grain are things that have helped me. While I still get the occasional irritation, redness and slight swelling in this area, it now mostly clears up with post shave care of alum, witch hazel, aftershave splash and some type of balm/moisturizer.

The right combination to a good shave is different for everyone and IMO its the journey to find this combination that makes this a great hobby. May I recommend a recent post that I thought to be insightful on this topic by @JoWolf that you can find here.

Good luck with your journey and I hope you will soon find the right combination to solve this issue!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@NorthernerShave the answer to your problem is a straight razor. Within a month of daily SR shaving, you will be enjoying your shaves and the results.

I had the same problem as you but with cartridge razors. I then switched directly to straight razors. I was and still am too scared to try shaving with a "safety" razor.

Some great advice above!

In addition I suggest you ’map’ your beard to better understand what is happening, especially in problem areas.

I'm a senior citizen, my skin chemistry appears to have changed recently, and I've been dealing with "razor bumps" for a few months now. They are a problem on the lower right side of my neck. Fortunately for me, I had an annual appointment with my dermatologist early in my "razor bump journey", and his advice has helped. With that in mind, here are some suggestions:
  1. If you can manage it, have a dermatologist examine your skin.
  2. Use a sunblock. In my case, the dermatologist noticed sun damage in the affected area.
  3. Use a topical steroid, but use it carefully! I use a prescription steroid, but the hydrocortisone cream, which @Calyshaver mentioned, is widely available over the counter. Just be sure to follow the directions. The general rule, as I understand it, is that steroids cannot be used indefinitely.
  4. Try negative exposure razors. One of the best things I did was to use a Gillette Mach 3 cartridge for the entirety of a 10 day vacation. It did not generate the closest or most efficient shaves, but it was very gentle, and it gave my skin a chance to calm down. More recently, I've also had good results with a Timeless Titanium (Gap=0.68mm, Exposure = 0mm), and I had a sublime maiden voyage last night with a Tatara Titanium Masamune (Gap = 0.63mm, Exposure = - 0.13mm). I'm very happy with the Timeless, which could be a good daily driver for me. The Ti Masamune is still in the honeymoon phase, but I was shocked at how easily I could shave the affected area, plus it is 12 hours later, and most of my face is still BBS - a rarity for me. You might also consider a Karve Christopher Bradley (CB) with the AA, A, or B plate, particularly if you can find one in Aluminum. I had some success using the A and B plates in a brass CB, but not success to the level of the Timeless or Tatara titanium razors.
  5. As others have stated, keep your face clean, and if you find products that work for you, then use them faithfully. I wash and shave with comfortably hot or warm water, using cold water only to brace the skin at the end of the shave. I still use a number of products, which makes it hard to single one out and say "This one is great!" But with that caveat in mind, I will suggest Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Moisturizing Face Serum with Vitamin E & SPF 60+, which I use faithfully.

Good luck!

I used to get those same bumps on my neck as well. Figured out that for me it was from too hot of a shower before shaving with too much pressure.

I now have a hot shower but rewet my face with lukewarm water before facelathering. Also found I do better using light weight razors, I find it easier to maintain the right pressure.

Good luck
Be well
Jay

Try shaving not right after a hot shower, and using cold (or at least lukewarm) water during the shave. Marinating in hot water makes your skin more fragile.

I'm a straight razor shaver, so I don't know whether the experience can be transferred, but the only time I got bumps was when I was using way too much pressure.

I’m really at a loss. What am I doing wrong here that makes me result in getting razor bumps?? I’ve tried cold water shaving, pre shaves creams, pre shave oils, hot towel around my neck, different blades, different safety razors, different after market “anti bump” products, after shave balms, creams, alcohol based after shaves, alum blocks I don’t get it.

I take a hot shower before I shave and wash the area around my neck where I always get it. I think my hair grows diagonally up, but if I shave diagonally up I get the bumps, shave to the side I get bumps.. if I shave up? I get razor bumps. I’m sick and tired of this… anyone have any insight?? I have Shark DE blades and Wilkinson Sword DE blades, I have two different Wilkinson sword safety razors, the King C. Gillette safety razor and a Wahl safety razor..

I’ve tried Boar Hair shaving brushes, Synthetic, Badgers and Horse hair as well.. face lathering and bowl lathering …
Curious.

How often are you shaving?

Thinking out loud.

Could that be part of the reason?

@NorthernerShave the answer to your problem is a straight razor. Within a month of daily SR shaving, you will be enjoying your shaves and the results.

I had the same problem as you but with cartridge razors. I then switched directly to straight razors. I was and still am too scared to try shaving with a "safety" razor.
Off the subject.

You shave with a straight, but fear safety razors.

You are braver than I.

I use SE safety razors, 1924 shovel head.

I fear the straight.

Good advice, though. I hope it helps him out.

@rbscebu beat me to it. You might seriously want to look at a straight razor and get it pr honed before using.

Shaving bumps can be an allergy to one or many products. I don’t use pre-shaves and don’t like highly perfumed soaps or other skin products.. try getting some hydrocortisone cream (not ointment) and put that on there and don’t shave that area for two or three days.

Another reason people get shaving bumps is because the razors that they use cut the hairs down below the skin level and then the hair can’t grow back up properly. A good straight razor will take good care of that problem. A mild Henson razor will also be a good thing to try because they won’t stretch the hair and cut down below the skin level and give you a bumps.

The other thing that causes shaving bumps is poor technique with a safety razor where you end up, scraping the skin instead of cutting the hair. Here a Henson mild razor will help you, as you just put the flat on your skin and keep it there. but the thing that will help you also is a straight razor. You don’t have to be afraid to use a straight razor like I was. I’ve heard all the horror. stories and that’s just what they are stories. If you want to learn learn, there’s a lot of good folks on this forum that can guide you. It’s not difficult and all of the shaves that I’ve had with a straight razor. I’ve only nicked myself four times and had one very minor cut. That’s it. I’ve cut and Nicked myself many more times with a safety razor so called. A straight razor does not cut down below the skin level and if you leave the angle properly, it won’t scrape your skin.

1. Use a new fresh sharp blade, such as a feather, Kai, nacet
2. Use as few passes as possible on that area, until you get some improvement( in example no more than 2 passes per week, on irrated area.
3. Only go with the grain on that area in the beginning
4. Try not to use any pressure on that area. Let the weight of the razor do the work.
4. Use only chemical free shaving soap, creams and post shave products. Fragrances in example can aggrevate irrated skin.

5. Apply a Wet hot towel to the area. This will hydrate the skin, and soften the wiskers as much as possible. I would hold the wet towel to your face at least a minute.
6. avoid any pre shave Products..less products make it easier to figure out what is causing the irration
6 use a post shave product Made for sensitive skin

1. Use a new fresh sharp blade, such as a feather, Kai, nacet
2. Use as few passes as possible on that area, until you get some improvement( in example no more than 2 passes per week, on irrated area.
3. Only go with the grain on that area in the beginning
4. Try not to use any pressure on that area. Let the weight of the razor do the work.
4. Use only chemical free shaving soap, creams and post shave products. Fragrances in example can aggrevate irrated skin.

5. Apply a Wet hot towel to the area. This will hydrate the skin, and soften the wiskers as much as possible. I would hold the wet towel to your face at least a minute.
6. avoid any pre shave Products..less products make it easier to figure out what is causing the irration
6 use a post shave product Made for sensitive skin
This is what I was Gona say.
Something else mentioned further up, but I would also add rest your face from shaving for a little while till the irritation has cleared and in the mean time CTM = Cleanse, Tone and moisturise everyday. The Ordinary do a great simple hyaluronic toner. I use this after shaving too and it really helps rehydrate the skin, you only need a few drops and It's scent free too.
Then after letting my skin sit some more I apply a light balm before heading out.
Hope this helps.
Let us know how you get on

Couple things that helped me massively..

1) Shaving with cold water.
2) Using gear that gives me a close but not TOO close result. Enough that I need to shave daily. Any closer invariably invites trouble for me.

Best of luck!!

Top Bottom