What's new

Wearever nib replacement?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In a lot of four pens, a Wearever pen sold as needing repair does in fact need a new nib. Can I substitute a readily available #6 or #5 nib ? Anyone know the proper size to use or any steps needed to adapt it to the Wearever feed?

I've got several Wearevers, spanning probably 40 years of production. The size and type of nibs are all over the place, with no real standardization. Your best bet is to try to find a nib from a similar Wearever. I doubt that modern #5 or #6 nibs are compatible.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've used Knox K26 nibs as replacement nibs for some vintage pens before. It may be close, it may fit perfectly, or it might be a total bust.

They're 26mm long and if I remember, fit a 5mm diameter feed. They come from Germany, look and write very nicely (I've only used M), and best of all -- reasonably priced.
http://www.xfountainpens.com/collections/accessories/knox

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What denotes a #6 nib? Is it one which combined with the feed fits into a 6mm opening in the section? That seems to be the size of the opening in the section of the pen in question.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm not too sure about these new sizes, sorry. I do know the modern #6 nibs are 35mm long, and I've not seen a Wearever nib that long.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would think that it would be possible to trim the length of a nib to fit. But the width/diameter/curvature would need to be the appropriate dimension. My feed is 5.74 mm in diameter, does that sound like a #6 nib? The old nib is 25.69 mm long.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've used Knox K26 nibs as replacement nibs for some vintage pens before. It may be close, it may fit perfectly, or it might be a total bust.

They're 26mm long and if I remember, fit a 5mm diameter feed. They come from Germany, look and write very nicely (I've only used M), and best of all -- reasonably priced.
http://www.xfountainpens.com/collections/accessories/knox

At first I thought this would work, but my feed is larger than 5mm.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hmm, doesn't sound like the K26 is gonna work.

I have a fine point Eberhard Faber nib that looks close (my caliper recently broke), it may work for you -- shoot me a PM if you want to try it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
For the edification of others as well as myself, can you tell me any more about the dimensions of the Eberhard Faber nib?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Well, it's somewhere between 5mm and 6mm in diameter, closer to six, like I said I have no caliper. But it rocked on a 5mm feed and looked to be more curved than a #6 nib.

Length is 26mm, gold plated steel, made in U.S.A.

$E Faber nib.JPG

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks for the info, looks like a contender. I also emailed Goulet. I noticed that the Monteverde nibs look about the right length, but don't know the dimensions.

Top Bottom