What's new

Was in remission, but just had a relapse...

I got into wet shaving a little over 11 years ago and joined this site. Enjoyed every minute of it and remember how civil and respectful everyone was. Went through a period of figuring out what worked best for me with a bunch of different razors (vintage, modern/current production, and even a short stint with straight razors), creams, soaps, blades and brushes. I had the disease! After experimenting for a bit I paired down to a couple razors, a few creams/soaps, one brush and one brand of blade.

Over the last few years I fell off the wagon so to speak, got a little busy (or lazy) and either didn't shave and just trimmed myself stubble with an electric trimmer, or on the rare occasion that I did shave, it was with my 20 year old Braun electric razor (gasp!).

I have a bit more time these days since I finished going to school full-time getting my graduate degree and simultaneously working full-time, so the other day said to myself, "man, I really miss a nice shave."

I only had one cream left (GFT Coconut), one brush (Semogue 1250), found a couple boxes of Astra SP blades and the two razors I have held onto (Mergress XL and a Merkur 37C slant). Had a great shave with the XL, and figured for old times sake I'd check out B&B. Shortly after that I received word that my disease was no longer in remission!

I ordered a tube of Proraso Red. I remember that cream always treating me well. Have had a couple shaves with it and was as good as I remember it! Then I ended up ordering some Cella which will be here tomorrow. Despite all the experimenting years ago, this was one I never tried, and I'm a sucker for tradition so I figured what the heck!

Next, I figured I'd try a different blade since I really didn't remember all the blades I tried in the past, but somehow settled on the Astra SP. Tried a Colette Platinum and that blade did not work out as well as the Astra SP.

Now I find myself wanted to get an old Gillette Super Speed (red tip) for old times sake! I've also been tempted to load up the cart and try a bunch of new soaps and creams, but so far have exercised restraint and really do like keeping things somewhat streamlined and simple, but I am not sure if I will be able to, as the disease seems to have the potential of making a strong comeback this time!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
do-it.gif

Welcome back!

I know the feeling, I had to stop buying so much shaving gear myself. After eating breakfast one day, I walked into my master bathroom to shave and it just hit me...this is out of control ! I probably have 60+ razors, 100 soaps, 30+ brushes and lord only knows how many blades. I do love it though, every shave is great !

I certainly have learned a lot about different products and artisans though, wow. I am truly amazed how many fantastic artisans we have. I am also amazed how this hobby has so many high quality but very affordable products. The lather from a cheap stick of Arko is FANTASTIC ! And all the great high quality but very affordable gear on the www.italianbarber.com, wow.

After some of the replies and going through other threads, I don't think I have as big a problem as some others here! Cabinets, closets and ROOMS full of gear!

I was getting worried because I recently ordered a few classic soaps/creams (Proraso Red, Arko, Cella) to compliment the only cream I currently had been using for a while (GFT Coconut Oil). Also ordered a new brush (Semogue Mistura; will now have two brushes) and a couple razors (40's Super Speed, RR Game Changer .68, Muhle R41, but already got rid of the R41; wasn't the same as the 2011 version I used to have) to compliment the two I already have (37C Slant, Mergress XL) and a small blade sampler (bees using Astra SP for years exclusively). This will keep me busy for a while...

Same problem exists with wristwatches, cameras, camera lenses, etc.
these are hobbies!!
Just look at your wife’s mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick, lipliner, moisturizer collection, then take a well deserved deep breath.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Same problem exists with wristwatches, cameras, camera lenses, etc.
these are hobbies!!
Just look at your wife’s mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick, lipliner, moisturizer collection, then take a well deserved deep breath.
Yeah, but other than the 50mm f/1.8, the cheapest camera lens I own was $600 and that for a refurbished lens.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tend to beat myself up about my excessive shaving purchases but the truth is that what my wife spends per ml on face cream far exceeds the price of any shaving soap on the market. With what she considers reasonable for a handbag I could buy three Wolfmans, two Toggles, a Double Ring, and still have change for a steak dinner - every night for a week 🤣

I tend to beat myself up about my excessive shaving purchases but the truth is that what my wife spends per ml on face cream far exceeds the price of any shaving soap on the market. With what she considers reasonable for a handbag I could buy three Wolfmans, two Toggles, a Double Ring, and still have change for a steak dinner - every night for a week 🤣
I'm in the same group: I think my wife tolerates/supports the limited purchases I do because then she'll feel better about her beauty related supplies. The first few years I purchased quite a few razors (all vintage) and brushes but that waned in the past 6 months (I think I bought three straights in January on an antiquing trip), but I've never gone into buying a lot of different blades or soaps. My son was visiting over Easter and said he needed a shave. Knowing he preferred efficient single edge razors, I gave him my MicroMatic OC, and advised him to use a light touch; he didn't. But he did gain an appreciation for the MMOC, so I've been looking for an example for him. I found a nice clean MMOC in an ivory colored bakelite case complete with both blade cases. That wasn't a purchase per se because it was a gift... until I remembered that he isn't as fastidious about taking care of the other razors I've gifted him. In good conscience, I've decided to pass my current MMOC in the green bakelite case (minus blade cases) down to him and keep the ivory set for myself. Wait a minute, he doesn't have room to store a bakelite case...

Last edited:
Top Bottom