What's new

Was given my Grandpa's brush, looking for help

Hello, all. Everytime I have looked for help on something this place comes through. I hope it happens again.

My Grandpa has been gone for 10 years but no one remembers him using anything other then an electic shaver. I cant ask him about so so... what do I have? How old? Knot type?

Anybody have any place to help or just know the knowledge?

Thanks for any info ya'll have.

KM

20210808_154222.jpg

That is a boar knot. Rubberset was a major, well respected maker. It looks usable, with some cleaning. The brush generally appears to be in good shape. I would guess mid-century.

oldschoolshavingbrushes dot com was a website devoted to Rubberset shaving brushes. It is still backed up on the internet archive. Edit this link and you should get there.

web.archive dot org/web/20181227192707/http://oldschoolshavingbrushes dot com/

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Here's a thread at B&B where a fellow just restored one this past January.

Thank you for the info. I am on my phone and cant seem to get the link to work. I will try it on my work computer and see if i need to do a little tweeking to the address.

I searched the site and found that restoration post before I posted. I will probably ask him how that knot was coming out. I think I have a knot that isnt in a vrush right now that I want to put in it.

I did create a layher with it as it sits. Both with shampoo and disinfectant soap. I have loaded off a puck yet. Maybe tomorrow morning. It just doesnt seem like it is a great knot. It has a bunch of broken hairs and honestly it looks rough. Maybe just once to say I used the same set up as Grandpa.

Thanks for the info and for any other that geta dropped.

KM

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I believe you are going to have a bunch of hair fall out. Not being used for 10 years is not a good thing for the pig hair. It becomes very dry and brittle.

This brush hasn't just not been used for 10 years. Talking to my aunts, uncle and father, this brush hasn't probably been used since the 60's or 70's. I am 39 now, he passed 10 years ago at 80 and no one remembers him using this style set up to shave with, only electric.

Thanks for that website, I will poke around there and see if I can find an era it was produced.

My hopes is to sand the handle, stain and varnish it. Reknot it and turn it into my rotation.

KM

I reknotted one very similar to that with a Finest Badger knot. It works very well. I like long handled brushes.

I also reknotted my grandfather's brush. An old Erskine. I put a really nice Silvertip Badger in it. It is a nice tribute to my grandfather.

Another vote for a reknot! That brush deserves to be used! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

+1 Wholeheartedly! I'm sure it can be done quite easily and with fantastic results. If you do go this route, please be sure to post pictures.

That being said however, I opted not to restore my father's brush. I have fond memories of him using it so I decided to leave it as he last used it. Instead, I managed to find an identical one for me to use that I'll have redone with an updated knot. His razor however, I will get refurbished.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thank you for the info. I am on my phone and cant seem to get the link to work. I will try it on my work computer and see if i need to do a little tweeking to the address.

I searched the site and found that restoration post before I posted. I will probably ask him how that knot was coming out. I think I have a knot that isnt in a vrush right now that I want to put in it.

I did create a layher with it as it sits. Both with shampoo and disinfectant soap. I have loaded off a puck yet. Maybe tomorrow morning. It just doesnt seem like it is a great knot. It has a bunch of broken hairs and honestly it looks rough. Maybe just once to say I used the same set up as Grandpa.

Thanks for the info and for any other that geta dropped.

KM

From the 49 series pictures in the archive, it looks like these were available from the 1910's through the 1940's at least, so you may have a hard time pinning it down much narrower than that.

Well I took the plunge and removed the knot and started the restoration. I am in the market for a onot though. I had a knot that fell out of a brush and purchased it as a 24mm knot. It measures 22mm on the nose. This opening is 27.2 mm. I set it in there but it is just too much.

So a 26/25 knot is needed from what I can tell.

I am yearning for another silvertip. I have one, my only badger, and love it.

If anyone has purchased one, i would love to know your thoughts.

Also, once finished I will get you all some pics.

Thanks. KM

A 26 mm knot is likely what you want. A 25 mm is usually not as common. I recently opened up a handle that measured exactly 25 mm to accept a 26 mm knot. What you measured may be big enough for a 26 mm knot without any additional clearance. I'm not sure of a source as my two usual sources don't have any 25 mm or 26 mm Silvertip knots at the moment. I did buy a 26 mm Silvertip knot from Maggards two or three years ago and it is a nice knot. I liked their Silvertips better than the Silvertips I have bought from The Golden Nib.

I would suggest you do whatever you are going to do with the handle before you install the knot. It will be a lot easier to sand the wood part and refinish it now as well as anything you may want to do with the hard rubber top part.

I haven't purchased a knot yet but the sanding and staining have taken place. A coat or two of varnish is now on it. I have also polished just a minor amount on the ferrule. I am trying not to change the look of it too much, I want it to stay "original" but I also want to use it.

It isn't a show piece by any means, but more a daily driver.

Maggard's is a site I haven't checked, I am not sure why either. Thanks for the idea there.

As far as 25mm knots, I have found a few and that is why I asked. I will probably by the 26mm only because there is so much more of them

KM

A 26 mm knot is likely what you want. A 25 mm is usually not as common. I recently opened up a handle that measured exactly 25 mm to accept a 26 mm knot. What you measured may be big enough for a 26 mm knot without any additional clearance. I'm not sure of a source as my two usual sources don't have any 25 mm or 26 mm Silvertip knots at the moment. I did buy a 26 mm Silvertip knot from Maggards two or three years ago and it is a nice knot. I liked their Silvertips better than the Silvertips I have bought from The Golden Nib.

I would suggest you do whatever you are going to do with the handle before you install the knot. It will be a lot easier to sand the wood part and refinish it now as well as anything you may want to do with the hard rubber top part.

I found the time to look back and find the current contact information for my main knot source. He has moved away from ebay and currently is on AliExpress. He changed his store name from ACE to ABCRE Store. I ordered a couple of knots today, a 26 mm Silvertip and a 26 mm High Mountain. Over the years his knots have been consistently high quality with very competitive pricing.

Virginia Sheng is also on AliExpress as Virginia Shaving Products or VigShaving. Similar quality and pricing as ACE (ACBRE).

You want a 22mm or a 24mm knot any bigger won't go in, as the 24mm was a tight fit on mine inside the ferrule is a brass liner to protect the ferrule hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I have a knot that had fallen out of a brush a s I never reglued it. I was told it was 2rmm but I measured it and it measures 22mm. It honestly, to me, feels too small. That would lead me towards 24mm which your saying is the dkrection i need to go. I have a 24 in my cart at Maggards now. I will probably pop on that this weekend once i decide if i need anything else.

KM

Top Bottom