What's new

Want value? Bid on gnarly!

Getting the razor of your choice can be a challenge, since there seem to be more and more DE shavers every day and the classic tools just aren't being made anymore - a perfect example of supply and demand at work. Well, on another forum, I belong to a brotherhood we call the C.B.O.A. - Cheap B*st*rds of America :lol: and I suppose I could pay some of the high prices I see at auction, but I'll squeeze those nickels until the buffalo bellers! It's just my nature...

This Fat Boy is a recent example - the listing photos were brutally honest, and so was the description: "Estate find, needs cleaning". How true. It looked like the plating was either nearly destroyed, or that the razor had been painted, or who knows what. The razor chamber looked like a blade had crawled up in there to die and rust into oblivion. Seems that the photos scared away most of the bidders who normally flock to Fat Boy auctions and drive the prices up to $60, $75, or more. I scored this one for $26.50 shipped.

So the razor arrived in yesterday's mail and got the standard barbicide treatment, followed by an overnight soak in Dawn and hot water. This morning, while waiting for the shower to warm up, I used my thumbnail on whatever was coating the handle and TTO knob. Seemed like wax and 90% of it flaked off with nothing more than that. I gently scrubbed the knurling with a brass brush to get the remainder that my thumbnail couldn't reach.

I then took an electric toothbrush (please don't tell my wife I used hers :lol:) and attacked the rust. Remember that these razors are brass and nickel plating - they don't rust! - so any rust you see will almost certainly be surface rust. Don't let that scare you away when you see it in an auction photo. I then tossed it into the ultrasonic bath and let it run while I was in the shower.
View attachment 525591
View attachment 525592

This is what it looked like after 2 runs in the u/s bath. The razor hasn't been disassembled or polished, yet, but it would certainly be auction and user grade ready as it sits. Not bad for no more than about 5-10 minutes of invested time, so far. I'll break it down and u/s the parts after we get back from vacation in a couple of weeks.
$100_1056.jpg
$100_1057.jpg

Moral of the story? There is an incredible amount of knowledge, support and inspiration for razor restorations on B&B - up to, and including, major surgery - but it's amazing what can be done with nothing more than a hot soak, toothbrush and ultrasonic bath, if you're not afraid to try.

You want value? Bid on gnarly, knowing that you'll have the support of the members of B&B to make your new acquisition sparkle!

Getting the razor of your choice can be a challenge, since there seem to be more and more DE shavers every day and the classic tools just aren't being made anymore - a perfect example of supply and demand at work. Well, on another forum, I belong to a brotherhood we call the C.B.O.A. - Cheap B*st*rds of America :lol: and I suppose I could pay some of the high prices I see at auction, but I'll squeeze those nickels until the buffalo bellers! It's just my nature...

This Fat Boy is a recent example - the listing photos were brutally honest, and so was the description: "Estate find, needs cleaning". How true. It looked like the plating was either nearly destroyed, or that the razor had been painted, or who knows what. The razor chamber looked like a blade had crawled up in there to die and rust into oblivion. Seems that the photos scared away most of the bidders who normally flock to Fat Boy auctions and drive the prices up to $60, $75, or more. I scored this one for $26.50 shipped.

So the razor arrived in yesterday's mail and got the standard barbicide treatment, followed by an overnight soak in Dawn and hot water. This morning, while waiting for the shower to warm up, I used my thumbnail on whatever was coating the handle and TTO knob. Seemed like wax and 90% of it flaked off with nothing more than that. I gently scrubbed the knurling with a brass brush to get the remainder that my thumbnail couldn't reach.

I then took an electric toothbrush (please don't tell my wife I used hers :lol:) and attacked the rust. Remember that these razors are brass and nickel plating - they don't rust! - so any rust you see will almost certainly be surface rust. Don't let that scare you away when you see it in an auction photo. I then tossed it into the ultrasonic bath and let it run while I was in the shower.
View attachment 525591
View attachment 525592

This is what it looked like after 2 runs in the u/s bath. The razor hasn't been disassembled or polished, yet, but it would certainly be auction and user grade ready as it sits. Not bad for no more than about 5-10 minutes of invested time, so far. I'll break it down and u/s the parts after we get back from vacation in a couple of weeks.
View attachment 525593
View attachment 525594

Moral of the story? There is an incredible amount of knowledge, support and inspiration for razor restorations on B&B - up to, and including, major surgery - but it's amazing what can be done with nothing more than a hot soak, toothbrush and ultrasonic bath, if you're not afraid to try.

You want value? Bid on gnarly, knowing that you'll have the support of the members of B&B to make your new acquisition sparkle!

Yes, I saw and bid on that one. I got busy and forgot about the ending of the bid. It looked like a good candidate to clean up nicely.
Good job. I was wondering if a fellow member had bought it.

My ultrasonic bath does not do nearly so well. Maybe I am doing it wrong!

Your likely not using a brass bristle bush and scrubbing the razor. A toothbrush is good but nothing like a good brass brush.
and Dawn dishwashing liquid is by far the best. Scrubbing Bubbles is ok, and CLR for hard water build up. Vinegar used in the ultrasonic cleaner is good, but the ultrasonic itself makes the most difference. Very few ultrasonic jewelry cleaners work well enough for razor cleaning. The better ones are small parts cleaners, ammo cleaners are better, and professional level parts cleaners are the best.

i have a cheap off brand parts cleaner that has a low and high speed and a timer dial. It's pretty good. Got it at a local flea market some years ago. It's made in China and a copy of a brand name parts cleaner. And does well on razors. Gets gunk out that scrubbing alone does not, but disassembly is by far the best bet.

The one I have is the China made copy of this one;
http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Commer...997&sr=8-45&keywords=ultrasonic+Parts+cleaner

I just realized, Kendal an older company is now buying the cheap China made copy I bought of their machine several years ago and selling the copy as their own. (interesting) Their larger models used to be American and German made. But they may all be made in China now.

The key thing with these small units is to get one that has dual or multi frequency capability.
I really good one can be had for around $100 if you look. It will be all metal interior and exterior have dual or multi frequency capability and a timer. The real high quality ones with built-in heaters and larger capacities also have a frequency conversion control. This allows you to set how quickly the frequency changes which makes a difference in whether the gunk inside beaks loose and stays inside or breaks loose and comes out.

They are fascinating machines that can do awesome cleaning jobs if you know their capabilities and limitations. And we haven't even mentioned the various combinations of ;Water - hard, soft, DI or distilled,pH, Surfactants, Wetting agents, Dispersants, Emulsifiers, Saponifiers,Optional ingredients, Sequestrants, Inhibitors, Buffering agents, Defoamers, and the application or removal of heat.

I used to work in a Jewelry store and was apprenticed for Jewelry repair and cleaning by a guy who believed in the power of education in learning how to use a tool as well as how the tool works.

It was fun and educational:blink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom