What's new

Wade and Butcher in Ivory

This blade has been on my bench for a long time. I snagged it off of that popular auction site because it rang all my favorite bells. 7/8, Top and bottom jimps, and a heavy grind. I liked the blade well enough to sink it into some ivory scales with an ebony wedge. More of a spacer than a wedge really. I left the ivory as thick as possible to balance the heavy blade and didn't want to ask to much flex from the ivory.

$20160113_162905_001.jpg$20160113_162958.jpg$20160113_163626.jpg

This blade has been on my bench for a long time. I snagged it off of that popular auction site because it rang all my favorite bells. 7/8, Top and bottom jimps, and a heavy grind. I liked the blade well enough to sink it into some ivory scales with an ebony wedge. More of a spacer than a wedge really. I left the ivory as thick as possible to balance the heavy blade and didn't want to ask to much flex from the ivory.

View attachment 629848View attachment 629849View attachment 629850

It's beautiful in every respect. Excellent!

One thing puzzles me. Did you dye the Ivory ? I've never ( besides vintage pieces ) seen "new " Ivory be that yellow.

One thing puzzles me. Did you dye the Ivory ? I've never ( besides vintage pieces ) seen "new " Ivory be that yellow.

Send my way for proper disposal.

Absolutely excellent work Brian:thumbup1:

Yeah, that's real nice

A prefect combination

THANK YOU! Thank you so much everyone! Sorry to be so slow. I was out of town for a few days. I didn't do anything to the ivory to change the color. They of course assured me it was preban ivory and that is the color when it arrived. I have no idea how long it takes ivory to start to yellow, but as soon as I saw it I knew I would make the white box to take pictures. Now that I am back home I will hone it up mow some whiskers soon.
$20160113_162929_001.jpg$20160113_163028.jpg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Excellent looking razor and I love the scales. I think you did the right thing by keeping them a little chunky. The color is great on them as well...not expected from new ivory.

Excellent looking razor and I love the scales. I think you did the right thing by keeping them a little chunky. The color is great on them as well...not expected from new ivory.

Thank you! The blade is a heavy grind and on the fat side of 7/8 so I thought thicker scales made more sense. I would have been sick to grind away that ivory. I have shaved with it several times now and the balance is wonderful. I have several Wade and Butchers, but this blade ticked off every box that I wanted. 7/8 or larger, heavy grind, top and bottom jimps. When I saw it I snapped it up so fast I nearly cracked my keyboard. Then it took me a year to work up the nerve to make the ivory scales. I read every word I could find from MyCarver on working with ivory. It is actually a surprisingly easy material to work with, but so expensive that I really took my time. Thank you again!

Top Bottom