What's new

W&B Questions

Picked up this W&B going to restore or might send to Joe blade seems mostly surface, Want Lynn to look at the edge for me. But my questions is I know it is hard to tell without having it in your hands but if maybe you have one what are the Scales? I thinks I can get them looking real nice with new pins and redone blade I think it will look classic. Also are the Scales Original or redone? Thanks in advance
View attachment 7723

I'm by no means an expert, but the scales appear to be antler or bone (I'm leaning towards the former). Nice specimen in any case, post some pics when you get it back from Joe and Lynn.

Another opinion that it's either antler or bone. Bone has a tendency to mottle or turn yellowish as it ages, but antlers can turn a brownish type color.

Ha -I was watching this one - nice score. 98 or so, afair...

Didn't the description say elephant ivory / crust? I am willing to take this at face value. Why are you doubting it? Old bone often develops small dots - I don't see this on these scales

Cheers
Ivo

edit: I think they are original. PM Traveller on SRP - he knows and has more W&B than almost anybody, I think. He should be able to help you more

I posted over there to it did say that I am just trying to confrim from and expert

Robert Williams is also an expert on bone, horn, and ivory (among other materials)

I am not an expert but I'd say it looks like old ivory (I have a number of ivory and bone-handled razors). The yellowish color can be polished off - if you wanted this. I don't think I would...

Good thing is that the seller said he'd be happy to refund $ if not satisfied, including shipment (I was paying attention :)

Good luck
Ivo

I like to leave the scales alone if they are still intact and in good working condition. I use the same metal polish (Flitz) on the scales as I do on the steel. The pins and washers should polish up a bit as well. There is a ton of steel left to work with, so after the blade is restored you should have no trouble getting a good edge on it. You can start by using 600 grit paper and work up to 1200 grit to get that thing a gleamin.

Glen

Top Bottom