What's new

Vintage Simpson Butterscotch ID help needed

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I just picked up this vintage Butterscotch Simpson on BST and need help IDing model and approximate age. As you can see, it's very Persian Jar like, but the proportions differ from the modern PJ

Markings (engraved or stamped):
Front above sticker, looks like OB3 but might be OE3 (looks most like OB)
Below that is Best Badger
Reverse side:
MADE IN ENGLAND
G MEELS (very difficult to make out for sure)
PHILADELPHIA

Dimensions:
21mm knot
58mm handle
44.6mm loft
104.6mm overall
34.7mm diameter base
35mm widest diameter at curve

I Googled G Meels and couldn't find anything but am guessing it's a Philadelphia retailer or barber.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• $2011-09-10_14-13-44_420.jpg
    $2011-09-10_14-13-44_420.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 122
G Meels of Philadephia search at least shows there were Meels in Philadelphia dating to pre-Revolutionary time. But found no more.

Georg,

I believe you have an OB8, there. It probably was "Gimbels" and not G Meels. That was a department store chain that went out of business 20-25 years ago here in Philly. Strawbridges was also a Philly area chain that went out of business in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

captp

Bob, that's a good bet there. I remember Gimbel's, we had one in Harrisburg many years ago at our first indoor mall. The space between G and M is perfectly smooth, as is the first E in the space where it would make a B. A lot of wear on the lettering makes it very hard to read.

Do you have any idea what the OB sands for, or is I just OB?

Thanks

If you scan through fidjit's butterscotch thread, you'll see OB8. Unfortunately, I don't know what it stands for.

captp

Thanks, Bob. Took some searching, but I found it. It was an OB3 (pretty sure it's 3 not 8) that Phil (luvmysuper) has or had. I think mine may have been Phil's brush; the wear on the label looks identical.

At least we got the "OB" part right. It's a beauty, and may have been the inspiration for the shape of the 2009 LE brush.

interesting. was there something special about the simpson-philadelphia relationship? are there examples of this "rebranding" of sorts in other big cities?

v.

Top Bottom