What's new

GIVEAWAY! Vintage cast iron blade bank

IMG_8837.jpeg

Found locally and originally made to be used as a coin bank for children. Am only letting it go because I found another. (Kind of like how dating was back in junior high school. :biggrin1:)

Here is a thread with more pictures right here. Entirely original paint that is quite faded and with a patina that only comes with age. This has to be 100+ years old at this point. Hefty and the real deal.

There was strong interest in the other thread so let me tag some guys there who may want to enter. Here is looking at you, @fast shaver, @Brutus, @La Malice, @dmshaver, @jayson, @ERS4, @DesertIguana, @huck1680, @BobbyB, @gpjoe, @brucered, @BigJ, @OkieStubble, @Sinnbad11, @Hannah's Dad.

This is CONUS only please and open to any and all who are here on B&B. Will let it run a few days and then random.org will select the winner.

Here is how you enter:

1. "Calculate the air speed velocity of an unladen..." Actually, let me save that one for another time. Just do #2 below here.

2. Just say, "I'm in."

Good luck to each one of you and may the winner post some pictures of his old coin bank repurposed into a new blade bank!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks for the generous offer Cap! It’s a pretty cool bank and you are nothing short of awesome sauce sir! But I’m pretty content with the cheap little white tin blade banks that I can just hammer closed with a rubber mallet when full and tossing it into the recycle bin when full.

I don’t even know if I’m supposed to toss it into recycle? Or regular trash bin? But that’s my plan? I haven’t even filled up my first bank yet after 13 years. Close, but not yet.

Any way, thank you for your consideration. B&B truly, would be a lesser place without you sir. You are an honored and highly respected member and asset to this forum. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the generous offer Cap! It’s a pretty cool bank and you are nothing short of awesome sauce sir! But I’m pretty content with the cheap little white tin blade banks that I can just hammer closed with a rubber mallet when full and tossing it into the recycle bin when full.

I don’t even know if I’m supposed to toss it into recycle? Or regular trash bin? But that’s my plan? I haven’t even filled up my first bank yet after 13 years. Close, but not yet.

Any way, thank you for your consideration. B&B truly, would be a lesser place without you sir. You are an honored and highly respected member and asset to this forum. :)
You are awesome sauce yerself my friend. This place is my favorite place. Oops. Yesterday was my anniversary, and the War Department just looked at me funny. This place is my SECOND favorite place, right behind home.

Not in, but I want to see what has replaced it in your line up!

Pretty much same size, weight and vintage - cast iron is seriously heavy! Washed it gently with just dishwashing soap inside and out so that the patina would not be altered. This one did not have the original screw and nut like the one here in the PIF so I got brass ones from Ace and I think it works. Small green felt pads on the bottom corners and it is all set.

IMG_9030.jpeg

Kind sir, I am in. Thank you for your generosity. If I win I will proudly display this piece of history. I'll even post a pic with it in my den! My current blade bank, a Metholatum jar, has never been displayed. But who wants to see a small round plastic jar? And not to date myself, but I have used mailboxes like yours to mail letters.

I'm in

I don't have a great system for old blades at the moment and I love my cast iron pans and old stuff with history in general. This would be a wonderful item to add to what I already have.

Thanks for offering this wonderful PIF!

Very generous!!

Respectfully not in, as I've been using this as a blade bank for the last year and a half.

Here I thought I was being so unique and original.

Not quite as old as either of yours as far as I can tell.

I'd be interested in info if anyone knows about an age of something like this.

Good luck to all those "In".

1687901421630.png

Top Bottom