What's new

Vintage and unusual aftershaves: Post your photos

I found these yesterday at a local thrift store for a dollar each. The Burley is cologne.
$20151110_095424.jpg

Those are some really cool antique aftershaves that's been posted. I would definitely buy them if I found them, but the Dr. Sheldon Cooper type germophobe in me would be reluctant to ever use the juice. I just have an image of a previous user bleeding after a shave and splashing the cuts with some aftershave lotion while going back and forth from hand to bottle.

I know, I know...time has destroyed all bacteria and the alcohol content of the aftershave has probably done the same, but I can't get erase the image. In public restrooms, I'm someone who grabs paper towels BEFORE washing my hands so I can close the faucets with them after washing, then pushes the door open with my feet or elbows.

Those are some really cool antique aftershaves that's been posted. I would definitely buy them if I found them, but the Dr. Sheldon Cooper type germophobe in me would be reluctant to ever use the juice. I just have an image of a previous user bleeding after a shave and splashing the cuts with some aftershave lotion while going back and forth from hand to bottle.

I know, I know...time has destroyed all bacteria and the alcohol content of the aftershave has probably done the same, but I can't get erase the image. In public restrooms, I'm someone who grabs paper towels BEFORE washing my hands so I can close the faucets with them after washing, then pushes the door open with my feet or elbows.
You're right. Time and alcohol have killed everything that you need to worry about.

I've got several pieces that I have yet to post. These two are among the most unique. Hai Karate chess pieces. The King and the Knight.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447176309.507064.jpg

I found your new avatar.

I saw that one before I posted the video. I would have posted the image but only if I found a gif file of the spraying. Too bad there's no episode of Sheldon taking a shave. His sterilization process for all the tools and accoutrements would be hysterical. His aftershave, soap, cream tube, razor, blade, bottle of witch hazel, etc. would probably all be in a locked cabinet.

so you wouldn't be interested in a half-used puck of shaving soap I have laying around? (j/k I'm with you on this for the most part)

Don't worry.... Soap is self-cleaning!

I wonder if this could also pertain to a shaving soap that's been sealed after use. Interesting that the article discussed that razors should never be shared but no mention was made of disinfecting. Is the method of scrubbing a used razor with alcohol, hot water, & Barbicide the equivalent of the type of disinfecting that a dentist's metal tools go through? I've read some here also use Scrubbing Bubbles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/sharing-gross-hygiene-personal-care_n_3983568.html

$soap_bacteria.gif

Here is one by Stanley Home Products, or Stanhome, as well as a couple of sample bottles by Fuller. Stanhome's door-to-door sales force, like the Fuller Brush sales men and women, were legendary following World War II. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown$Chairman After Shave Four Ounce Bottle Stanley Home Products.JPG$Fuller Brush After Shave Sample Bottles.JPG

Cash_Stronomer; I have divided a lot of my period shaving accessories between Stanhome and Fuller- both companies have quite an interesting history and certainly left their mark on the post WW II shaving culture here in the US. In fact-my twin brother and I grew up using Stanley hair brushes! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

That was such a simpler time when people would actually look forward to a personal interaction with the Fuller Brush man or the Avon lady ringing the bell with the latest catalogue The internet and interactive TV like QVC and HSN has eliminated the need for it. No one has time anymore to answer the doorbell. That time is sadly spent checking the smartphone for texts and tweets. I walk down the street and it seems like no one even picks their head up from their phone as they're walking.

Anyone remember when the encyclopedia salespeople would come around? My folks bought the World Book Encyclopedia and I actually used to enjoy reading those detailed history articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least Avon never really went away. There's a few of the girls around Campus at work that sell these things and drop around catalog's, so I could have shopping done and items brought to my office.

And now I'm not very happy I just put a horrible thought in my head and probably made my 'disorder' worse! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom