What's new

Vie Long Epsilon 2 band

Picked the brush up this morning and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Knot looks pretty sparse and does not look to be all that large. I won't be able to check it out till 7 tonight, but I'm not all that pumped for it currently. Backbone is good though and the other items in my order are pretty awesome. Never expect aqua balsamica to smell the way it does.

Derek, did you order a brush similar to the one on the far right of Chris' (xillion) photos, above? It would be hard to imagine that one of those knots at 50mm would be sparse and underwhelming.

Last edited:
Derek, did you order a brush similar to the one on the far right of Chris' (xillion) photos, above? It would be hard to imagine that one of those knots at 50mm would be sparse and underwhelming.

I ordered the correct one. I'll be checking everything when I get home.

I guess it was just the low loft and relatively thin hairs throwing me.

Quick impressions are that the backbone is good and the tips nicely soft. Not gel tips.

A more detailed review to follow, but a few images.

$uploadfromtaptalk1458787251536.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1458787259457.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1458787264969.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1458787271032.jpg

Great to hear, Derek! Boy, if you had thought that 27-28/50mm knot was sparse, then I would have loved to see what kind of knot you thought was dense. :biggrin1:

I hope you enjoy the brush.

I actually think it's a medium density, but that low loft makes it feel so dense. I'm looking to shave with it tomorrow, stink or no stink.

Here are some comparison shots.

View attachment 643748

View attachment 643749
From the left:
Vie-Long 75th Anniversary Limited Edition Two Band
24mm knot
55mm loft

Shavemac Two-Band D01
22mm knot
46mm loft
Fan shaped

Epsilon by Vie-Long
26mm knot
50mm loft

I own a Vie-Long 75th anniversary limited edition brush and I love it. It is just different enough from my custom Shavemac two-band brush, it has a bit more backbone than the Shavemac, that I can justify and really enjoy owning both.

Tim

Actual shave today was very nice. The brush is quite stiff, but I really don't notice since the tips are so much softer than the rest of the hair shaft. Lather release was a bit miserly, but nothing I would worry about. The brush does not seem to be shedding anymore hairs. Still got a funky naphthalene scent to it that I assume is from the epoxy off gassing. Should be another couple days before it loses the funk. Handle is comfy and not too light (something I've read was a change).

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave and more so for the weekend when I can take some decent photos.

I traded my first Gen 27/50 for a second gen 27/55 and am very glad I did! What a fantastic knot this one has! The handle is a spectacular faux horn with beautiful character. I like it so much I'm shaving with it again tomorrow. It makes great lather and is not as light as the Gen 1.

I've had a couple more shaves with this knot. The tips are VERY soft. I'm betting at 55mm, one would not feel the hint of scritch that they have. At 50mm, I'll notice it every now and again, the hint of tiny needles running over the skin. Most of the time though is spent feeling a luxuriously soft knot with a strong backbone. Highly recommend this knot if you want soft tips that are not gel or gel-like. No regrets with this brush. I'll continue using it before posting a final review. I'm going to also try to figure out a way to take some nice photos of it for the review (tiny bathroom is not conducive to photos).

So i thought to give this brush another chance and been handlathering with it every other day for about a week now and it feels like it has gotten little bit softer. Probably going to give it another two or four hand lathers before i try to face lather with it again.

About those soft tips that everybodys 2-band Epsilons have mine feels almost like pure badger at the moment. Might just be because the backbone but i hope it would soften a little bit.

So i thought to give this brush another chance and been handlathering with it every other day for about a week now and it feels like it has gotten little bit softer. Probably going to give it another two or four hand lathers before i try to face lather with it again.

About those soft tips that everybodys 2-band Epsilons have mine feels almost like pure badger at the moment. Might just be because the backbone but i hope it would soften a little bit.

Pure badger from who? Pure varies too much to guesstimate what you are feeling.

Pure badger from who? Pure varies too much to guesstimate what you are feeling.
I used to have a Whipped Dog in pure badger. It was too scritchy for my face so i sold it. Ok, my Epsilon wasn't that bad when i face lathered with it last time but still quite close to that WD in pure badger.

I also have Simpsons Case in best badger what has quite scritchy tips but my Simpson Duke 1 in best is super soft with a nice scrub. I understand that even if the animal is same the hair can still be somewhat different on face feel.

I should just try face lathering with it next time when i'm going to shave to see if it still feels too scritchy for my taste.

Last edited:
I've had a couple more shaves with this knot. The tips are VERY soft. I'm betting at 55mm, one would not feel the hint of scritch that they have. At 50mm, I'll notice it every now and again, the hint of tiny needles running over the skin. Most of the time though is spent feeling a luxuriously soft knot with a strong backbone. Highly recommend this knot if you want soft tips that are not gel or gel-like. No regrets with this brush. I'll continue using it before posting a final review. I'm going to also try to figure out a way to take some nice photos of it for the review (tiny bathroom is not conducive to photos).
Derek, good to hear you are enjoying the brush and you can always go outside for your photos. :thumbup:

I wouldn't associate this brush with pure badger, buy YMMV. Good luck and you should contemplate selling the one you have and getting the 55mm one. :001_smile

I wouldn't associate this brush with pure badger, buy YMMV. Good luck and you should contemplate selling the one you have and getting the 55mm one. :001_smile
I've been thinking about the 55mm version and maybe someday i'm going to make the switch.

Top Bottom