What's new

Vetiver

Just wondering what vetiver smells like, I read that its an Indian fragarence, I really do like the smell of my Indian creams, and I'd like to branch out with different aftershaves. Any help would be appreciated.

I am fairly new to vetiver scents. Difficult for me to scribe scents in general and even more so with vetiver. It comes from a grass (the roots of the grass actually) but I wouldn't say it is "grassy". More like earthy, mossy and even smoky. I don't know if this helps but I found these descriptions on the topic...

- woody earthiness
- deep, shadowed, astringent, earthy like newly tilled soil, and balsam-woody. It can be warm like tobacco leaves, it can have a crushed-green leaves freshness, or it can be cool like lemon verbena.

I've got some vetiver essential oil and it smells a lot like smoke, kind of like the good scent of burning tobacco.

Why not try some samples? I suggest the Fine options.

Yes! I have both the "Clean" and the "Fresh" vetiver AS samples. It is a coin toss between the two and each has its fans. Fresh seems a little sweeter, lighter and "fresher" while the Clean is a tad smoky or more earthy. Both are very nice.

I have been told that Geurlain Vetiver smells like pure vetiver after it dries down. The Fine aftershave vetivers both smell similar to that to me at least a little. I have never actually smelled real vetiver roots though.

Their are many vetiver fragrances out there with different smells all together.....I would suggest sampling some before committing.

Vetiver smells like dirt. Not a rotten decomposing dirt smell, but a fresh, earthy, clean-dirt kind of smell.

Most of the Vetivers I've smelled (including Fine Clean Vetiver) while earthy/ grassy/mossy, have a very pronounced "soapy" accord as well.

Most places that sell essential oils have sample bottles you can try. I did this with vetiver - put a small dab on my wrist and smelled it throughout the day to see what I though. I kinda liked it.
I got a sample of Fine Fresh Vetiver and while I can smell the vetiver in there, it's also very bright and sweet. My wife told me I smelled like honeysuckle many hours after application. Not sold on it just yet.
Good luck!

Vetiver Oil, an essential oil sourced from Sri Lanka also referred to as Vetivera zizanoides. Vetiver oil is steam-distilled from the roots of the vetiver perennial grass, a tall and thin plant typically grown in tropical climates. The oil produced is 100% natural having a characteristic fresh, woody scent. Vetiver oil is a viscous essential oil and is dark brown in color.

Vetiver oil, classified as a base note essential oil, is sought after for its appealing earthy fragrance. Many spas and personal care companies use this natural oil is a diffuser to create a relaxing ambiance. It is a desired ingredient in the soaping industry and used to manufacture perfumes, lotions, toiletreis and various cosmetic products. Its unique aroma is especially sought after in the formulation of natural herbal products

After trying a few I picked up a bottle of L'Occitane Vetiver.

Very nice scent, good lasting power. Have had compliments on it.

If you can, visit some stores and give the different ones a try.

After trying a few I picked up a bottle of L'Occitane Vetiver.

Very nice scent, good lasting power. Have had compliments on it.

If you can, visit some stores and give the different ones a try.

L'Occitane Vetyver is my go-to scent. Getting ready to spray some on before going out for the evening, in fact.

Top Bottom