What's new

Van Der Hagen Shave Butter?

I saw this for the first time about a week ago in a Rite Aid. I thought it was intended as an aftershave balm but I didn't read the directions.

It appears to be a shave "cream" that you apply and then rub any remaining product in to act as an aftershave. Don't think it is meant to lather at all.

I just bought it, but haven't tried. I'm searching right now to see. Don't want to apply it to my brushes without knowing.

I have tried this stuff. I got it in an orange tube from my local Target. I used it once and never touched it again. Rendered zero lather. I would never consider shaving with the stuff.

I tried it yesterday.
Not my type of product. Its a brushless and latherless, but doesn't render the same slickness as other brushless creams.
Maybe the SWMBO will enjoy it for her legs, but for my face, no thank you.

I've given this a few shaves. It's a similar product to Creamo. It doesn't quite lubricate as much as I would like and doesn't leave behind any lubrication at all. Splashing water on the face to try and do some touchups and there's nothing left behind. Creamo seems like it's re-activated with a water splash. Creamo also has a pleasant citrus fragrance while this doesn't have much of any scent.

I'll use up the tube, but it will be the one and only for me. Creamo is convenient for when I'm in a hurry, but I still prefer the brush and soap for really softening up the whiskers and comfort.

Used it for head shaving this morning in the shower and worked rather well. Scent is very nice and left dome nice and smooth. Did my usual two pass with Gillette Guard.

No lather whatsoever. Not a comfortable shave for me. The directions say to rub in whatever remains after you have shaved. Didn't care for that either. Not a fan of the (admitedly very light) scent. Can't really find a use for this one.
YMMV

No lather whatsoever. Not a comfortable shave for me. The directions say to rub in whatever remains after you have shaved. Didn't care for that either. Not a fan of the (admitedly very light) scent. Can't really find a use for this one.
YMMV

I was reading a tube of it at Target, and as I recall it contains no soap. I doubt it would lather in a blender.

I've given this a few shaves. It's a similar product to Creamo. It doesn't quite lubricate as much as I would like and doesn't leave behind any lubrication at all. Splashing water on the face to try and do some touchups and there's nothing left behind. Creamo seems like it's re-activated with a water splash. Creamo also has a pleasant citrus fragrance while this doesn't have much of any scent.

I'll use up the tube, but it will be the one and only for me. Creamo is convenient for when I'm in a hurry, but I still prefer the brush and soap for really softening up the whiskers and comfort.
Thanks for the review on this - I'm a big fan of Cremo (the original was good to me, but I'm a huge fan of the new Cooling), and saw the VDH when I picked up the Cooling. Almost bought it as well, now I'm glad I didn't stray from my favorite.

I picked some up and gave it a spin last night.

Yeah, like everyone else says, non lathering. I think it would probably be like trying to lather Elmer's Glue.

I think it has a very strong scent and it lasts a long time, even if I rinse instead of leaving it on instead of using aftershave as they suggest. It smells kind of like, I don't know, maybe Endust.

Using it, I think the closest comparison I can make is Barbasol in the tube, minus the mineral oil in the Barbasol. Subjectively, I think the VDH smells a lot better. But then again, so does a burning skunk.

Performance was okay. I got a close shave and didn't have any irritation. I think if I experiment with the water:cream ratio I'll get a more enjoyable shave. It could have been slicker.

My initial thoughts are, it's okay. Nothing bad enough to get it binned immediately, but nothing outstanding either. It'll probably end up as a change of pace product rather than a go-to favorite for me.

Performance was okay. I got a close shave and didn't have any irritation. I think if I experiment with the water:cream ratio I'll get a more enjoyable shave. It could have been slicker.
Yeah, the second shave with it went a lot better. If non-lathering creams are your thing, it's worth a try.

I was in Walgreens a few days ago, and saw this "Shave Butter". I thought I'd give it a try, so I bought a tube. Previously, I had tried Cremo Cream, but found it kind of dry, so I didn't like it that much. My go-to wet shave cream has been Lush's "Prince" for a long time, and it's got a "buttery" kind of feel to it with lots of lubrication. I have used the Shave Butter twice so far, and quite like it. I wet my face with warm water, then spread a moderate amount around about half my face at a time. I put on quite a bit, though. There's no point being cheap and spreading it too thin, then risking cuts because of insufficient lubrication causing the razor to drag and catch the skin.

The first time (forgive me for saying this), i used a disposable three-blade razor with the Shave Butter, and it gave me a reasonable shave. However, when I used it with my Merkur Futur DE (with my favorite Dorco blades), now that's when the magic happened! I did my usual two-pass technique (WTG & XTG), and I got a beautiful BBS shave with no cuts whatsoever. A couple of small weepers closed up quickly when I rinsed my face with cold water after shaving (to close the pores), but on the whole, I am very happy with how well this cream shaves. I also like its scent. I would recommend it to anybody.

YMMV

Keep in mind that, because it is classified as a "shave butter" product, its purpose is not meant to lather. Like Dr. Carver's Easy Shave Butter from the Dollar Shave Club, Van Der Hagen's product is meant to make the face slick when one shave's his face.

Top Bottom