What's new

Valet Autostrop buyers warning

Hi, new Valet owner here. Every ebay, or flea market buyer, needs to know what I just found out. If you intend to shave with these razors, DO NOT BUY ONE WITH THE TWO COMB EDGE HOOKS MISSING! Mine has one, which seems to be ok, but I first wondered what kept the blade from rising, and removing serious flesh. I thought the comb was a closeness adjustment. It is not. If its down,or missing the little hooks, the blade WILL swivel freely. Most I just looked at again on ebay are missing the hooks. I got lucky. Cheers, Howard.

It's also very common for the teeth to be bent which is another problem. Look very carefully at the photos if buying online.

Since the Valet's came in various different models, sounds like you have a Valet VC-2.
The VC-1 had "c" shaped hooks on each side of the comb to hold the blade.
The VC-2 has just a very slight turn up where the blade corners meet, the blade is locked by pushing the locking lever down.
The locking for the VC-2 model is located at the back side if the head, if that lever is not closed all the way, the blade will pivot.
The blade pivot is for blade replacement, and stropping.
Well made razor, but they do take some getting use to as does any SE for head angle vs a DE.

I only have the VC1 model and I noticed something about this model. I have seen some that have the blade hooks pressed down tightly and others seem to be a bit more opened up (if that makes any sense). My VC1 has one blade hook pressed down tighter while the other blade hook is a bit more open.

The differences in the blade hooks do not appear to be by accident nor does the razor look damaged. I pressed the blade hook down with a pair of pliers it still isn't as tightly down as the other blade hook. I am not sure if this is common with the VC1.

Top Bottom