What's new

Using arm versus wrist and fingers

I've noticed that when shaving with a safety/DE razor, my stroke is usually based on arm movement. However, sometimes I'm inclined to use wrist and finger movement. This is most noticeable when shaving under my jaw and on my neck.

When writing with fountain pens, you are strongly encouraged to write with arm movement, not wrist or finger movement. This is particularly so with Spencer and Palmer handwriting. Does the same advice apply to wet shaving? In other words, should I try to use arm movement alone for all shaving strokes and minimize wrist and finger movement?

I also know that with safety/DE razor shaving, you are encouraged to use the weight of the razor to guide your shaving stroke. (That's fine for WTG passes but what about ATG passes?). Does that effect whether to use the wrist, fingers or arm?

For me, they are fundamentally different mechanical actions. Writing is on a fixed plane, and within constrained parameters (page, lines, etc), whereas shaving is over a series of different planes (cheek to jaw, for example) with transitions in between. So it makes sense, intuitively anyway, to me to use a combination of arm movement for the longer stokes, and wrist and occasionally subtle finger movement to deal with tricky transitions of trouble spots where contours change abruptly (Gillette slide around and under the nostrils).

Interesting thought, though. I'll pay more attention to this tomorrow at the mirror! :)

For me, they are fundamentally different mechanical actions. Writing is on a fixed plane, and within constrained parameters (page, lines, etc), whereas shaving is over a series of different planes (cheek to jaw, for example) with transitions in between. So it makes sense, intuitively anyway, to me to use a combination of arm movement for the longer stokes, and wrist and occasionally subtle finger movement to deal with tricky transitions of trouble spots where contours change abruptly (Gillette slide around and under the nostrils).

Interesting thought, though. I'll pay more attention to this tomorrow at the mirror! :)
Excellent response!!!

Top Bottom