What's new

Upper lip woes

Ok, so I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm having problems shaving the little dimple on my upper lip. Going WTG is fine, but when I go XTG I seem to most times catch the blade and nick myself there. Any suggestions? Is it my technique, too much pressure, or angle perhaps? That seems to be the only place left where I continually get a weeper. Please help!

In that area, I can't go XTG in the same way I can with a DE. I find that I have to go at more of a diagonal angle. If you try some diagonal angles (I go from alongside the nose, diagonally inwards towards the upper lip) you might find it a little easier. Very, very light strokes though!

You have to keep the skin taut and use very light pressure on both XTG and ATG. I do WTG, XTG, ATG Light (blade buffing: short, almost no pressure strokes), then normal ATG pass. Always BBS and rarely nick myself on the mustache area. This works with any type of razor.

In that area, I can't go XTG in the same way I can with a DE. I find that I have to go at more of a diagonal angle. If you try some diagonal angles (I go from alongside the nose, diagonally inwards towards the upper lip) you might find it a little easier. Very, very light strokes though!
+1.

I also find that if I start my stroke from farther away, it seems to glide in there a bit better - I hope that reads well.

Woo Hoo! I finnaly got it, thanks for all the help guys. My stache hair grows kinda sideways, so I went with normal WTG then a XTG WTG pass, followed by another XTG in the opposite direction that my hair grows. Felt kinda ballsy so I went for the ATG pass, some real light blade buffing to start with then just regular pass. BBS on the 'stache area! First time achieving that with a straight.

Try more agressive stretching. I only do one pass in this (and all other) areas, but it is ATG and I have not problems. I stetch until the dimple disapears.

My upper lip is the hardest like most guys. I finally solved the ATG problem. One pass N-S, two passes XTG from opposite directions to knock the whiskers down. Then I finish with a S-N approach. I use two hands to tightly control the blade. Firm up the upper lip muscle and press rather firmly with the blade flat and the edge almost not touching. Do a series of small buffing strokes and when it feels right finish with a couple full length strokes and as the blade goes up roll that part of the lip down into the blade. Can't do that with an edge that isn't top notch and can't do it until the early passes reduce the whiskers enough, otherwise the whiskers pull the skin up and you will nick yourself. Not sure this description is clear enough, but the final pass your are more moving your lip down onto the blade than moving the blade up into the lip. As soon as your edge drops off of being really sharp you will feel it in the final S-N pass as the blade won't want to move through the hairs. It will tend to hand up and then lurch, which you don't want to do when you are moving toward the septum of your nose.

Top Bottom