What's new

Under the Radar Colognes

Nice blurb on Valetmag about some "Under the Radar" Colognes. Just wanted to know if anybody has tried any of these?

"Your cologne should be personal. And while there's nothing wrong with the big brand-name fragrances neatly stacked along department store cases, there is something to be said for nosing beyond the cologne counter for one that's a bit less ubiquitous. After all, you don't want to smell like the latest magazine scent strip or even worse, spritz on the cologne your significant other's ex used to wear (trust us, that causes some problems). Herewith, five of our favorite fragrances that fly under the radar. Crafted in small batches, they're made with integrity—and the chance that someone else will show up smelling like you is nearly nonexistent."

Hanging Rock Creek

$hangingrock_grande.jpg
Earthy yet quiet, this light spritz is inspired by its picturesque namesake in South Carolina. It's a warm scent of fragrant woods like palo santo that's freshened with herbs and lavender.

Sombre Negra
$sobre_negra_mens_cologne_by_yosh_fragrances_mens_gift_ideas_grande.jpg

Handcrafted in San Francisco by olfactory artisan Yosh Han, this is a sturdy but elegant cologne that's grounded in deep, traditionally masculine notes like smoked cedar, tobacco and vetiver.

Man of Aran
$41Q9Ep8htxL__SY450_.jpg

We discovered this fresh, sea-tinged scent on a motorcycle trip through western Ireland, at the very perfumery where they blend and bottle this mossy, citrusy and sporty cologne using all natural oils.

Bravado 2
$bravado-2-edc.jpg

An adaptation of the original Bravado cologne introduced by Baxter back in the early '70s, this summer scent blends a crisp, citrusy sweetness with a peppery base of cypress wood.

Saltwater
$saltwater_cologne_1_grande.jpg

This subtle fragrance is influenced by cologne recipes from the 1920s with notes of clary sage and musk blended with actual Atlantic sea salt for a fresh marine authenticity.

I know each one of these fragrances are unique but what other type of fragrances do these smell similar to (or somewhat close to for comparison? I'm always out there looking for new scents! Thanks for sharing these!

Haven't even heard of any of these, although the descriptions sound great (of course :001_rolle).

I would especially like to sample the Sombre Negra.

This subtle fragrance is influenced by cologne recipes from the 1920s with notes of clary sage and musk blended with actual Atlantic sea salt for a fresh marine authenticity.
PGS Whiskey is my favorite aftershave and on my next order I'll have to remember to add a bottle of this Saltwater Cologne.

The Portland General Store colognes likely fly under the radar, as they are ridiculously expensive.

4oz (118 ml) of Creed Green Irish Tweed $285. $2.42 per ml.

15ml of Portland General Store Saltwater Cologne $70. $4.66 per ml.

It's just shy of twice as expensive as the Creed!!

I refuse to believe the Portland could possibly be that good!

**Creed pricing via Walgreens.com

Portland General Store stuff is great ... for 30 minutes until it fades away to nothing. I've spoken to the owner, who says it's so expensive because it's all natural. I told her that for that price, it needs to have some longevity. We didn't see eye to eye on this.

Bravado 2 is good stuff. Casual and interesting.

Top Bottom