What's new

Two Differnet Kinds Of Feather Blades???

Those are being sold by Pauldog, a member here. They are the older blades. See my blind test above for the differences.

Joe

Read the whole thread, so that explains it. My friend and I are after some Feathers like the ones we used in the sampler, which would be with platinum. I guess the only option is Classic Shaving.

I bought 250 from Pauldog just when we all became aware that there were two different kinds of Feathers. After initially thinking I liked the newer ones better, I decided I wasn't sure. Now about 9 months later, I'm still not sure, and I'm glad I bought them. Many (probably myself included) think the newer ones may be a little sharper but the older ones a little smoother.

He'll probably selll you a smaller quantity if you want to just try them first and then decide.

I bought 250 from Pauldog just when we all became aware that there were two different kinds of Feathers. After initially thinking I liked the newer ones better, I decided I wasn't sure. Now about 9 months later, I'm still not sure, and I'm glad I bought them.

I have both Pauldog's bulk 250 and 100 of the newer boxed Feathers from Classic Shaving, and I agree. Just when I think there's a difference, I try the other and get a great shave with either one. They're both Feathers, both certainly shave like Feathers and nothing else, and both are top-notch. The only difference I've seen is that the new Feathers sometimes last one extra shave for me, but not consistently.

Yet, the most shaves I've ever gotten from one DE blade was from one of Pauldog's Feathers, in my slant. Six solid shaves. I must've been on my game, or somebody had a good day at the factory, because normally my limit is three, with either type. Four if I push it, and I generally don't.

I have both Pauldog's bulk 250 and 100 of the newer boxed Feathers from Classic Shaving, and I agree. Just when I think there's a difference, I try the other and get a great shave with either one. They're both Feathers, both certainly shave like Feathers and nothing else, and both are top-notch. The only difference I've seen is that the new Feathers sometimes last one extra shave for me, but not consistently.

Yet, the most shaves I've ever gotten from one DE blade was from one of Pauldog's Feathers, in my slant. Six solid shaves. I must've been on my game, or somebody had a good day at the factory, because normally my limit is three, with either type. Four if I push it, and I generally don't.

Do you change a blade as soon as you realize you're pushin' it (after your first stroke), or do you complete the shave that's not so good and change it before the next? I thought you'd always want to just change it every so many shaves so that you don't actually let it get to the point where it's not good. It's too much trouble to change a blade mid-shave or to suffer a tugging shave.

Do you change a blade as soon as you realize you're pushin' it (after your first stroke), or do you complete the shave that's not so good and change it before the next? I thought you'd always want to just change it every so many shaves so that you don't actually let it get to the point where it's not good. It's too much trouble to change a blade mid-shave or to suffer a tugging shave.

I've changed blades a few times right in the middle of a shave, after a few strokes. Usually it doesn't help - if it's that bad for me, it really means I'm just having a "bad shave" day, and my technique is off. A marginal blade will feel like a cheese grater, and even a fresh blade will feel much rougher. I stop at two passes, skipping my ATG pass. Still very presentable. Next day, the very same blade will often feel just fine, it was me who improved.

Usually, I change blades based on the memory of my last shave. I know a blade is "going" when the first two passes are good, but my ATG pass on my neck noticeably skips or drags and requires pressure to get results. Blades are relatively cheap, and I know that if I try to "push" one more complete 3-pass shave with a blade that is past it's prime, my neck will pay for it with irritation on the ATG pass. Not worth it to me. When a blade doesn't glide for me anymore, it goes. Sometimes it's just me, usually it's the blade.

A simple question, are the NOS feather blades the second best blades available today? yes? or no?

I think that is a hard question to answer.

If you want the sharpest blade possible I would stick with the new feathers (that is at least my experience between the old and new Feathers).

I found the older Feathers to be much more forgiving and last longer than than the newer ones (but nowhere near as sharp). I would put the NOS Feathers as sharper than IP's and Derby's which I use regularly but they are also more expensive than those two. So you gotta try a few and decide for yourself. Pauldog is pretty flexible in terms of how many he will sell you. Good luck.

When my dad went to thailand i asked him to buy me some razor blades that he might find in stores, he brought back some Astras, Gillettes, and Feather blades.

I thought the Feather blades were fakes because the packaging was totally different than the yellow insert that i always see. Reading this topic made me go open the pack of blades to see if they are the real thing, as soon as i took the carboard insert out i realized that they are real Feathers, since they have the white waxwrap with blue feathers on it, and the blade has the feather icon on it.

The next time he goes to Thailand i'm going to ask him to pick me up a box of 250 or two next time he goes.

member pureslab is selling the new feathers on the buy and sell forum. I bought 100 from him 2 nites ago. He swears they are exactly the same!!!!! (only black in 5 packs) Hes been selling them in Thailand for years.
He also states the reason there not being sold in the US as of yet is that the "distributor" had to buy millions plus and needs to run out of the old ones! (the distributor packages the blades)
Hope this helps:thumbup:

cheers

Just a quick update.

I have heard back from classic. There seems to be some confusion. Classic claims that Feather told them that the blades with the old style printing(the blade on the right in the pic up top) have not been made since the late 80's. That makes sense for the blades from Paul but NOT for the blades from classic! If that is true then classic is selling old blades. I don't think that is the case though. I think there has just been a mis-communication between classic and the guys in Japan or classic is just blowing me off with a tall tale and hoping I don't care. I've emailed the pic back to classic and asked them to confirm what they have been told. If I don't get an answer soon my plan is to have a guy I know in Japan investigate. I'll have him buy some blades locally, take pics and then call & email Feather for an explanation. Since he is fluent in Japanese I expect he will get a better answer.

Joe

As I said, pure slab is in thailand. He states the US distributors have millions of blades in old stock. See for yourself
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93970:biggrin:

For what its worth I didn't know about Pauldog when I bought these the other nite, I found pureslap on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160340718925

He had a 99% with over 1700 sales in Thailand, so I bought some, sorry pauldog, hes since raised his shipping price $5 to $7.5 on the bay still $35 here but $10 higher than yours

cheers

Last edited:
I have been banging these blades out like a Catholic Schoolgirl on Prom Night

So here is a mini comparison of what are essentially the exact same blade

proxy.php

I think here in Asia these are used more often and more frequently then say back in USA hence the availability - above you will notice the two types of packaging in question

The yellow box can still be found here in some places that are holding old stock - I ask one place to dig around for me and they pulled out a few.

Otherwise it is the Red & White Box that is currently stocked and sold

proxy.php

Packaging of the blades

proxy.php

Unwrapping the packaging reveals the same blade ???

proxy.php

The Saga Continues

proxy.php

Hope this helps

They really know how to confuse things.

Thankfully our source is close enough to the land of the rising sun to investigate w/o going out of his way.

$35 shipped is a great price on a 100 pack of Feathers; I had noticed that other blades which are close in sharpness had been creeping up in pricing since Feathers were no longer able to be bought in the 100 packs. This should help stabilize the market somewhat.

marty

Top Bottom