What's new

Two antique shop refugees

This morning I was trying to avoid going to work and stopped in at the local antique mall. I saw these two razors marked 2/$14 and ended up buying them. I didn't realize that booth had 10% off, so with tax I got them for a bit over $13 for the pair.

The white-scaled one says it's a Gemco "Fluid Steel" from Geneva, NY. Closed it's 6" long to the end of the tang, the blade 5/8" wide. The flat-sided scales are faintly veined; they remind me of ivory but I doubt they are. (Any way to know for sure?) It has some pitting, including some close to the edge, but not on the edge itself.

The black-scaled one says "Wester Bros" "Anchor Brand" "Made in Germany" with the logo of an anchor with a star on it. Closed it's 6 1/4" to the end of the tang, the blade 5/8" wide. The scales are black plastic (well, I assume it's plastic) and are contoured rather than flat. This blade is much cleaner, and in fact is still pretty sharp.

So, did I buy anything worthwhile, or is this junk? Will I be able to shave with these? (I've never tried straights, but I see them in my future. I'd still need a strop, etc.)

Thanks!

It looks like both of the razors will clean up nice; and like all straight razors they will shave as well as the edge that is put on it. If you wish to shave with them then you will need to get them honed by someone who knows what they are doing. If you don't want to send them to a "professional", I would be willing to hone them for you for free as long as you pay shipping both ways; however, you would definately still need to purchase a strop to maintain the edges. It looks like you did well IMO

Once again, I reccomend that honing is an art all can learn. Let's banish the idea that it is a mysterious art that only a select few magicians can achieve! Here you have the perfect kit for learning how to use a straight. Send one (whichever seems to need the most work) to somebody who can hone it for you, and get a strop and hone. Use the one honed by the "pro", also it will be your "benchmark" practice on the other until it is as sharp. IMHO, the most comprehensive website about sharpening is www.en.nassrasur.com/razorcentral/

Enjoy, you have two fine razors!

Thanks, all. Heavydutysg135, I may very well take you up on your generous offer. I first want to look and see what I should do for a "clean-up." I suspect if I search B&B I'll find answers, so I won't ask right now.

I do believe that I can learn honing; I've always been one to believe that if someone else can learn to do something, so can I. This time, though, I'll probably send both and learn on the next (I'm sure there will be others, right?). Thanks for the link to the razor site, there's a lot of info there.

I saw a seemingly new in box Norton stone at another antique mall last week. It didn't list the grit, only saying it was "fine." I would imagine that Fine isn't fine enough if the grit isn't stated, no?

Once again, I reccomend that honing is an art all can learn. Let's banish the idea that it is a mysterious art that only a select few magicians can achieve! Here you have the perfect kit for learning how to use a straight. Send one (whichever seems to need the most work) to somebody who can hone it for you, and get a strop and hone. Use the one honed by the "pro", also it will be your "benchmark" practice on the other until it is as sharp. IMHO, the most comprehensive website about sharpening is www.en.nassrasur.com/razorcentral/

Enjoy, you have two fine razors!

Those are fine blades that when honed and clean will give very nice shaves. Congrats!!! a great steal at that price!!!!

I don't think that honing is looked upon as a "mysterious art that only a few select can achieve". I believe what is recommended is that your first razor is sent to someone that can get it shave ready so that it will be come easier to learn the skill of shaving without having to worry about honing with the exception of maintaining the edge with a strop...much like you recommended. I know this because this is how I learned to shave and how I also learned to strop and hone my own razors as well as some razors for a good friend. Honing is by no means a magician's trick, everyone and anyone can learn to do it with practice. But I'll mention that improper technique and lack of proper tools will make it difficult to get the task accomplished.

Raf

Thanks, all. Heavydutysg135, I may very well take you up on your generous offer. I first want to look and see what I should do for a "clean-up." I suspect if I search B&B I'll find answers, so I won't ask right now.

I do believe that I can learn honing; I've always been one to believe that if someone else can learn to do something, so can I. This time, though, I'll probably send both and learn on the next (I'm sure there will be others, right?). Thanks for the link to the razor site, there's a lot of info there.

I saw a seemingly new in box Norton stone at another antique mall last week. It didn't list the grit, only saying it was "fine." I would imagine that Fine isn't fine enough if the grit isn't stated, no?

The easiest way to clean up the blade would be to use MAAS polish on the corrosion. What you saw in the antique shop was probably not a norton, it is a barber hone. In general they are good for maintaining a razor that is already shave ready, but not for the initial sharpening. Some people might disagree with me but IMO the best tool for this would be the Norton 4K/8K. Send me a pm or email if you would like me to clean and sharpen a razor for you.

Where can I find the MAAS? I've never noticed it as a hardware store item. I guess a Google search is in order. Strangely enough, the stone I saw really was a Norton; it was in a Norton box, included the original paper insert, and looked like it had never been used. They wanted $20 for it, but it was only labelled "Fine," which, since I don't know any better, I am assuming is fine enough for some things but maybe not fine enough for a razor. If they had labelled it with a grit, I'd know better what I was looking at.

I appreciate the offer; I will take you up on it and contact you in the next day or two. Thanks!

The easiest way to clean up the blade would be to use MAAS polish on the corrosion. What you saw in the antique shop was probably not a norton, it is a barber hone. In general they are good for maintaining a razor that is already shave ready, but not for the initial sharpening. Some people might disagree with me but IMO the best tool for this would be the Norton 4K/8K. Send me a pm or email if you would like me to clean and sharpen a razor for you.

Seems to me the norton oil stones are labeled as "coarse" and "fine", so that may indeed be what you saw. If this is the case, they will not be as fine or fast cutting as a water stone.

Where can I find the MAAS? I've never noticed it as a hardware store item. I guess a Google search is in order. Strangely enough, the stone I saw really was a Norton; it was in a Norton box, included the original paper insert, and looked like it had never been used. They wanted $20 for it, but it was only labelled "Fine," which, since I don't know any better, I am assuming is fine enough for some things but maybe not fine enough for a razor. If they had labelled it with a grit, I'd know better what I was looking at.

I appreciate the offer; I will take you up on it and contact you in the next day or two. Thanks!

I have heard that MAAS is available in some Walgreens and Wal-Mart stores; however, I was unable to find the product in these stores when I searched. JohnP. was kind enough to give me a tube of MASS, but I will be purchasing my next tube online when I run out. I have heard that FLITZ metal polish also works well for restoring razors, but I don't have any experience with the product to confirm this. If the stone that you saw said it was a Norton then it was definately a Norton I guess; however, I don't know how it would compare to any of Norton's current offerings in terms of grits or cutting abilities.

Genco was one of the most mass produced razors in the States.
I have one that shaves as good as a Goldedge. It would be hard to tell the difference if the scales where both the same.

Flitz works just fine, also look for semichrome in a tube.

Glen

I don't think we get MAAS in the UK. I use autosol, it's a whit aluminium polish, but works fine on anything from razors to swords. Really does make a mirror polish.

My annoyance about honing being considered so mysterious is the way beginners show up with a razor they've got, and everyone immediately tells them that they must send them to a "honemeister", and not risk putting it to the stone for fear of doing damage to it. Come on, we are men aren't we? We should be able to sharpen stuff ourselves, shouldn't we? In any case, I really don't see how somebody could do an injury to a blade by incorrect honing. Not if they have read all the plentiful information about it. They may not get it sharp for a while, but they'll get the knack in the end. I do however fully see the wisdom of sending one razor to an experienced user to put an edge on it, in order to have a kind of benchmark for their own efforts.

I don't think we get MAAS in the UK. I use autosol, it's a whit aluminium polish, but works fine on anything from razors to swords. Really does make a mirror polish.

My annoyance about honing being considered so mysterious is the way beginners show up with a razor they've got, and everyone immediately tells them that they must send them to a "honemeister", and not risk putting it to the stone for fear of doing damage to it. Come on, we are men aren't we? We should be able to sharpen stuff ourselves, shouldn't we? In any case, I really don't see how somebody could do an injury to a blade by incorrect honing. Not if they have read all the plentiful information about it. They may not get it sharp for a while, but they'll get the knack in the end. I do however fully see the wisdom of sending one razor to an experienced user to put an edge on it, in order to have a kind of benchmark for their own efforts.

Steerpike, thank you for taking the time to express your opinion. Although you might not realize it, I really believe that we have essentially the same view on honing. I think that everyone who uses a straight razor should learn to hone their own razors eventually; if they don't I think that they are doing themselves a disservice. In my opinion the most rewarding aspect of straight razor shaving is the pride and sense of self-sufficiency that one gets when they get a BBS shave from a razor that they honed themself. Lynn compared this to catching your own fish, cooking it, and eating it. I also strongly believe that everyone who can learn to shave with a straight razor can also learn to hone as long as they are willing to put the time and effort into learning and perfecting the right technique, and learning to properly assess the sharpness of the blade.

The reason that I and most "experts" recommend sending at least one razor out to be honed by someone who knows what they are doing in the beginning is that it greatly increases the chance of the new user finding early success. This early success will make them much more likely to stick with straight razor shaving in the long run. As you probably know, shaving with a dull straight razor is a very miserable experience and will put off many new users. If a new user takes their razor to a stone then it is almost certain that they will not be able to get the razor anywhere near shave-ready in the beginning. I also feel that the learning curve for honing when a person finally decides to learn to hone will be greatly reduced if the person develops the proper shaving technique with a sharp razor and knows what it feels like to shave with a sharp razor.

I have to say I agree as well, and that it applies to many things in life besides honing. Too many people don't get past the hesitance and actually try something. I'll try most anything if I have the tools it needs (and sometimes even without). People are their own worst enemies; they doubt their own abilities. I can't tell you how many people are amazed that I'll make homemade pasta. Geez, if you can play with Play-Doh, you can make pasta. Or sushi--it takes some dexterity, but it's doable. I rebuilt my own Alfa engine without ever having touched one before (but I made sure to get the information I needed). My wife has been amazed at the things I'll repair that she'd normally throw away. Plumbing, electrical . . . all you need is knowledge and to get past the initial hesitance. You can learn to do anything, if you want to (and yeah, I can understand if someone just doesn't want to).

Sure, I'll be able to learn to hone my razors. But yes, I want to see what a properly sharp razor is like first. Plus, my wife's car, we just learned, needs a new transmission ($2,200!), so I think I have to delay buying a hone. Can't delay the strop, but the hone I can wait on. (Maybe I'll come across a deal in the meantime.)

Yeah, so true, self sufficiency and all. Now all I need to do is learn to forge my own blades, kill a badger, make soap from its' fat, and use bathtub gin as an aftershave!

I think that having one blade tuned up for you by an expert is a great idea. I also think that there are too few straight razor users, which makes learning a challenge- you can't get your grandfather to show you how to sharpen it and use it correctly, and sharpening (while probably an innate skill of all men :wink:) is one that really needs to be taught to you, rather than just read about. Watching a video is a good plan, but one to one tuition would be ideal.

Yeah, so true, self sufficiency and all. Now all I need to do is learn to forge my own blades, kill a badger, make soap from its' fat, and use bathtub gin as an aftershave!

:biggrin: Now you know I don't mean to go that far, but people don't even try the simplest things sometimes.

I think that having one blade tuned up for you by an expert is a great idea. I also think that there are too few straight razor users, which makes learning a challenge- you can't get your grandfather to show you how to sharpen it and use it correctly, and sharpening (while probably an innate skill of all men :wink:) is one that really needs to be taught to you, rather than just read about. Watching a video is a good plan, but one to one tuition would be ideal.

I'm not sure who around here I could have show me. I went to the local barber for a shave once, and while it was a wonderful experience (hot towels, lotions and all), the shave itself was less than stellar. I had to go home and shave again. He's since retired anyway, but other than begging a barber to show me how to hone (and hope he knows how!) I haven't a clue where to seek assistance. I really do pretty well researching, asking questions of folks online, trying, and learning from my mistakes. Much of the time, it's the only option available to me.

...to show me how to hone ...I haven't a clue where to seek assistance. I really do pretty well researching, asking questions of folks online, trying, and learning from my mistakes. Much of the time, it's the only option available to me.

I think most people learning the art of the straight razor are in the same position, and it must put a lot of folks off it, I feel sure of this. You are lucky to have a barber friend to help you out, by all means go and ask him for advice.
Other than that, the Razor Central website has the best information I have yet found, it's a good start. If someone with experience has honed a razor for you, you know what it is you are looking for- both in doing the tests such as the hanging hair, and in the way it feels to shave with it. Just get stuck in until you can make a blade that sharp, with a little patience you will get there.

I was taught to sharpen knives and tools, to "shaving" sharpness, though as we all know, theres a difference between a "shaving sharp" chisel, and a razor that will provide a comfortable shave. Fortunately for me, the only razors I bought (antiques) were in reasonable nick, it only took a few strokes on a pasted strop to get them working. When I realised they would need to visit a stone some time (one by one, they started to give poor shaves, and I stopped using them), I looked on the internet, and found a wealth of information on how to do it, so I studied hard, a bit of trial and error, and all my favourite old razors came back to life! I also discovered the recent interest in wetshaving, which led me to exchange my stick of Palmolive for a bowl of Trumpers Sandalwood, boar for badger, and Witch Hazel BP for a bottle of DR Harris Sandalwood, and it all became a lot more fun.

So yes, it may be tricky without tuition, but it can be done, so don't be put off, just be prepared to work on it for a bit.

I had an instructor once who said this:

I'll now demonstrate something. You've not seen it before. And you will have two choices: you can either watch and think, "I'll never be able to do that" or you can watch and think "I'll be able to do that". And it does not matter which one you think. It really doesn't. Whichever you think whichever you decide: you'll be right.

He went on to say:

That's in fact the choice you have with everything in life, when you see something new, you can decide "I'll never be able to do that" or you can decide "I'll be able to do that". And each and every time you'll be right.

Best lesson I've ever learned.

Top Bottom