What's new

Trying to find a new boar..

So I received a gift card to West Coast Shaving for my birthday, and I really want a good boar brush. So far all I can really pin it down to is the Omega's. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thats a nice Omega you're looking at but before you buy check out the Semogue boar brushes at Traditional Shaving. The owner is one of our vendors and he has some great prices plus he is very helpfull. I just placed an order this morning for a Semogue 1520 boar brush and he's shipped it already. It's coming from Dublin Ireland so I should get it within 5-7 day's if it goes through US Customs quickly. My other two recent orders arrived within ten days for the first one, and seven days for the second one. With airmail shipping my brush cost me just under nineteen dollars. If you see something listed on Traditional Shavings sister website that you want contact Chris and he will list it on the Traditional Shaving website.

Clayton

Last edited:
The only boars available at WCS are the omegas...so pick whichever looks best to you...IMO all the knots are very similar, but the smaller ones felt better to me. The splayed more easily, but the pro49 is popular for a reason.

Better yet, buy the cheapest one with the knot size you want, and immediately send it to one of the custom brush guys and have them make a better handle, but use the quality knot.

I have an Omega 31025 boar brush and what a shaving imo brush. Lots of lather, especially with Cella.

I have read that the pro 49 is a pretty good brush, I think I might pick that one up. I have also heard great things about the Semogue brushes, I think I'll have to buy one when a new paycheck comes in!

Unfortunately I think anything but badger brushes West Coast Shaving lacks a little bit in. I love their store, I buy from them often, but in terms of boar brushes I personally think you are better off going with Vintage Scent and a Semogue brush or rolling to Show Box Shave for their GIANT selection of Omegas. One of the reasons is because I am not a fan of the unbanded boars West Coast sells (I really prefer the look of unbanded).

If I HAD to choose one from them (because I am a team player and I know you have a gift certificate);

this one
or this one

Because I like shorter lofted brushes.

For looks I would get;

this one

Cause I like the handle.

I liked the 11575, smaller loft & knot made it easier to use for face lathers & the handle is long enough for bowl lathers. You could always add the 13522 for face lathers and the11575 for bowls, and owning two would allow enough time for them to dry between uses.

My favourite brush is the 10048. The knot is phenomenally good when it has been broken in and the size seems perfect for me. The only downside is that the handle is hollow but it's a great shape/size so I'm not upset by it.

Shoebox has the best selection of Omegas. I have the 48 Pro and liked it so much I just got the #31025, which right out of the box was ready to go with no breaking in. Once soaked and lathered up, it has a soft, luxurious feel that now has me going to it over my badger brushes. I use it for soaps, creams, and face lathering.

I bought an Omega 48 eleven years ago and it still looks like new. I think it works better with soaps than a Badger. I use the Badgers for cream.

I'm honestly waiting for Semogue to put out something new! Leon posted somewhere he testing out this prototype of the Caravela knot in a SOC handle and i'm waiting for that. I'm just waiting to see what there going to put out. And I believe that will be last SB purchase for a while b/c i'm saving up for school now!

Scene you're set on an Omega from WCS, the 31064 is a clear choice. Great looking, great performing boar brush. Nice chunky acrylic handle, good knot - you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom