What's new

Tried blade buffing today

I didn't even realize what blade buffing was till I read about it on here - but I've been doing it for a while apparently. I have a fairly sharp jaw bone so buffing helps there. I also buff my upper lip and chin. You can also buff ATG where it permits. This is mostly with a slant.

I J-hook above my Adam's apple and buff above my upper lip. Futur set at 1.5 or an Aristocrat G4 set at 4 with a Crystal Platinum blade.

LEMS

I agree, I have cut myself worse with J Hooking than with blade buffing.. though with everything else in DE shaving, practice makes perfect!
+1 but after some practice it's a go. I J hook and buff with my slants. Also, at the conclusion of my buffing strokes, I will go in all directions over a rough spot. These techniques are especially useful in the area at the corner of the mouth and upper lip.

All the "advanced techniques" as Mantic59 calls them work.

It is up to you to figure out where on your face to use them.

Many around here squeeze that ultra thick/rich lather out of the brush and use that during the touch ups/blade buffing passes. I'm a fan of blade buffing. Works well especially while you are mastering your technique.

+2
Just did it today and every time I shave.

+1

I do the Gillette slide going ATG on the left side of my neck and it works really well.

Another +1. Some hairs can not be cut even with buffing. A slide takes care of them. I am using this under the jaw bone and under the chin.

Last edited:
I've only seen one other person blade buff (military communal heads, I don't look at people shave in my spare time) with a cartridge razor. It looks (and sounds) like he's trying to scratch an itch. Really bugs me honestly. Only puts on a single thin coat of muck in a can, but goes over and over the same area very rapidly. Haven't considered it with a safety razor.

before I blade buff I use a little cream of some sort (anything seems to work), then re-brush some shaving cream over top of that.. seems to cut down on my irritation a lot! Blade buffing is a GREAT technique, really cuts down the 'hard to shave' areas of my neck, on the sides...

I was glad to discover this technique. It helps with a couple of trouble spots -- and more than that, eases my OCD symptoms. :)

I've only seen one other person blade buff (military communal heads, I don't look at people shave in my spare time) with a cartridge razor. It looks (and sounds) like he's trying to scratch an itch. Really bugs me honestly. Only puts on a single thin coat of muck in a can, but goes over and over the same area very rapidly. Haven't considered it with a safety razor.
It has been almost 7 years that TheScapel has posted , he may be a participant any longer.

can you post a link? I cant find it!
Look at Mantic's video's again, the ones on advanced shaving.

The J-hook is good, but I've found that his Gillette slide really gets those hard to get whiskers. At least for me it does, YMMV. But look at those video's again, and go easy with them until you get them solid. :thumbup1: :thumbup:

Top Bottom