What's new

Tried a Feather blade today...

Although I really like some of the Gillette 7 O'Clocks, Feathers are still my favorite blade. I use a couple different Super Speeds and find the mild razor and sharp blades produce the best shaves for me. Always smooth and comfortable.

Feathers are good reliable blades. They are a little pricey compared to other blades, but they still don't cost that much when compared to cartridges. I usually use them for about 3 shaves. I can push them for more shaves, but there's that good feeling you get when throwing that new blade in.

I don't find Feathers harsh at all, especially when I use a Feather AS D-1 razor. I'll use Astras, Medical Preps, and Polsilver in some of my other razors - a Muhle R89 and a Muhle R101. I also have some EJ razors, a couple of Chatsworths, but I have not been using them lately.

Last edited:
I have 300 blades of various brands when they are gone (about 3 years) I will probably order feathers and nothing else. Even though there are other blades that work great nothing has been as good as a feather for me. I don't find them to be harsh at all just sharp and smooth.

I would love to make a sample pack of 10 blades with the brands obscured and send them to some experienced wet shavers to rank 1-10. I wouldn't tell the shavers how many brands were represented. I would in fact have 5 Sharks and 5 Feathers. I wonder what the results would be. I've been using these two blades alternately for a while in a Merkur slant and find the Sharks really smooth and long lasting, where the Feathers start out a bit rough, then settle in, but then wear out a shave or two before the Sharks. Does anyone know how to remove the printing from the blades so I can have a few friends do a blind test?

I'm sure most people in North America don't know DE razors still exist.
Swedes are good but that's a terrible price. We get our fair share of terrible razor blades in Canada. My local drug store charges $15 for a pack of Wilkinsons :blink: but there are many online shops based in the great white north to hit up.

So true. I feel like I'm being held up at gun point if I have to buy blades at a drug store.

I attacked a two day growth with a Feather just now. It sang in my Merkur letting me know it was getting the job done. It didn't bother my skin at all.

" This is NOT my first rodeo! " Yep, I've tried most brands available and the Feather wins hands down.
Wow! You must be part of a rare breed.
Feather is all I really use, unless I use a super aggressive razor. No pressure and 2 passes for a perfect shave.

I love the wrapper on a Feather blade, but no matter the razor I try them in, they bite me... Now, my Feathers look great on display, and Astra SP blades (and others) give me perfect shaves. I don't even know where my styptic pencil is anymore. For me, Feather blades are just bling for my bathroom cabinet. But you make a great point. Every face is different!! Best of luck!!

Tried a Feather for the first time today, in my R41--quite a pleasure. Maybe not for everyone, but with zero pressure and solid technique the sharpness made the shave effortless with almost 4 days of growth

aj

Top Bottom