What's new

Treet Durasharp synergy

Don't forget the Treet Black Beauties, they are a very smooth blade. IMHO, the best value, bang for the buck as far as blades go.

Shave #2 today with the Durasharp. Same Red Super Speed. Changed from Palmolive to Porasso. The shave was consistent with the first shave with a few exceptions. There was a bit more pull on the first pass, but still quite acceptable. The three pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) shave was actually a bit closer than yesterday's shave, but still not quite BBS. No irritation, but a bit of tingling after the ATG pass.

The slight variation may have come from changing creams. Porasso lather is a bit less dense than the Palmolive and this may have allowed for a slightly closer shave. However, Porasso doesn't lubricate quite as well and this may have contributed to the slight pulling on the WTG pass. No difference on subsequent passes.

All things considered, shave #2 was as solid a shave as shave #1. I'm not going to push these blades beyond two shaves, but probably could. Cost is about 6.5 cents per shave, so why bother to push it? The Durasharp still reminds me a lot of the Astra, but delivers a slightly closer and smoother shave.

Tomorrow I'll up the game a bit and see how a new Durasharp handles in my Fatip.

this morning I mixed things up and used a Personna barber/blue in my newest acquisition; a 40s US made Super Speed, the result was subtly harsher and not quite as close as the Durasharp in either my red tip flare or the UK made rockets. Could be the razor, I'll have to trade blades around to be sure...

My Durasharp shipment arrived, along with a tub of Omega and a couple of Palmolive sticks, I really can't get excited by the scent of either of these soaps, but the performance is top notch and the prices are ridiculously low, so why not tack them on to the blade order, right?!?

Omega and a new batch Durasharp this morning in my new-to-me 40s US made Super Speed gave a very nice shave, though not *quite* as good as what I have been getting from the original batch of Durasharps in either the Red tip Flare or UK Super Speeds... next step will have to be the new DS in my UK Rocket.

Omega has gotten a bit heavier on the eucalyptus compared to the first tub of it I got about a year back, but still has what I would say is a pleasant, but uninspiring fragrance. However the lather hasn't changed a bit; it's as thick and creamy as anything else I have ever used and gives excellent results.

Too many variables still, but what I am suspecting is that the US made 40s Super Speed is a slightly harsher shaver than the UK variant and doesn't give quite as close a shave when used with similar technique. Is that something others of you have found to be true?

it's totally the razor; a second-shave new batch DS in my gold Rocket yielded near BBS closeness, with much of the shave giving the sensation that there was no blade in the razor... it was that smooth.

I guess that either the US non-flare SS is just not as good a match for this blade or my shaving technique, or maybe both.

I can honestly say that the Rocket/Durasharp combo (USA Red tip Flare hot on its heels) is a revelation... I was not getting bad shaves before this by any measure, but the synergy between these two bits of hardware has really elevated the experience and results for me!

This officially makes the Treet Durasharp my *second* favorite blade right after the Personna 74* Super.

I cant believe how cheap these are in the UK, £9.60 for 200, how is that even possible?.:w00t:
I know what I be adding to my next order.

Two Durasharp shaves in my Fatip. I use the steep angle method with my Fatip and R41 - razor handle almost pointing at floor. First shave had a bit of tug on the first pass but resulted 3 pass BBS with no irritation. Day two was less tuggy and resulted in DFS with only WTG and XTG passes. The blade does not shave as close as a Feather or Spoiler, but isn't far behind. The smoothness is quite impressive. The blade is LOUD in the Fatip. More audible feedback than I can recall from any of the hundreds of blade/razor combinations I've tried. I haven't experienced the blade degrading during the second shave as some have, but I'm not pushing these past two shaves. After using the Durasharp in two razors (Fatip and SS Red) I'd have to say that this is the best "bargain" blade I've tried. Both closer and smoother than Astra IMHO. Tomorrow I'll try it in my R41.

I cant believe how cheap these are in the UK, £9.60 for 200, how is that even possible?.:w00t:
I know what I be adding to my next order.

That's 8 GBP/13 USD if you aren't paying VAT and Connaught has very fair shipping prices... works out to about $9.15 per hundred! The next best value blades (IMO) are Astra SPs at $10/100 and Personna barber/blue at $12/100 and for me at least they both fall a bit short of the standard set by the DS, though both give very decent shaves in their own right.

Honestly, at this point the only blade that I like better at any price is the long-discontinued, expensive and hard to find Personna coated tungsten alloy 74* Super... while I have a fair stash of those and the almost identical Super Platinum Chromes (not to be confused with current SPCs!), their rarity makes regular use impractical and even with their 2 week to multi-month shave life they are still more expensive than the 3 cents per shave that it costs to use Durasharps!

I'd have to say that this is the best "bargain" blade I've tried. Both closer and smoother than Astra IMHO. Tomorrow I'll try it in my R41.

Once again BHarvery, you "stole" my post! Over the last few days I have compared the Durasharp to the Voskhod, my go-to bargain blade. I use the Voskhod when I travel and I don't have the time for a careful prep for a "Feather" shave. The Durasharp is both sharper and smoother than the Voskhod by a good margin. The Voskhod my last longer than the carbon Durasharp but at 10 cents a blade that is not important to me.

My plan is to start a new thread to let the throngs of Voskhod users know about the Durasharp - BUT not until I put in my order with Connaught.:thumbup:

Never let yesterday use up too much of today.
Will Rogers

another Treet carbon shave this morning, a BB in the Red tip Flare, smooth and close, but not as good as the DS and after a few days of sitting between shaves the BB has begun to rust in a few spots, the Silvers and Durasharps definitely rust less than the black version.

Two shaves with the DS in my Fatboy at 9 setting with Poraso cream. Just sorta OK. The Fatboy is relatively mild for me, even at higher settings and I think it does better with a sharper blade. The DS just seemed to tame it too much. This is also the first time I've noticed a significant decline in shave quality between shave 1 and 2. Lots of tugging on shave 2 first pass. Shave closeness not real impressive. Not a good pairing IMHO. On to the R41.

Back to the Gold Rocket with a two shave DS; yup, this is the magical combo! I keep trying other razor/blade combinations, but this and the Red tip Flare/DS combo are really working so well that everything else comes off a poor second best, with most being both less comfortable *and* not as close and a few either being as comfortable *or* as close, but not both.

I'm very thankful that my new batch of Durasharps are consistent with the results from the batch I got a year and a half back, the fact that these inexpensive blades are similar from batch to batch is another unexpected bonus!

200 DuraSharps on the way from Connaught. At 10 cents/blade delivered to the USA, this may be the best bargain in Shavedom.

The fun never ends.

2 shaves with a 2013 R41 and Durasharp.

Shave 1 was a two pass shave that bordered on BBS, but not quite. The blade tugged quite a bit on pass 1 but settled down on pass 2. Comfortable, no irritation. Pretty much mirrored the performance of the Astra.

Shave 2 was different. I decided to go with another 2 pass shave - WTG and ATG. Cold water. WTG pass produced a lot of pull, but ATG was outstanding. No pull or drag. Excellent BBS shave with zero irritation.

The DS is a winner when paired with the R41, but I did have to tolerate some tugging. No big deal, though.

BTW I decided to try cold shaving with the R41 last month and it works great with the large angle technique. If you haven't tried it, you may want to give it a shot. I do soften my beard with warm water in the shower first and then splash cold water before shaving. This produces a very close shave and eliminates irritation for me.

This morning was an Astra SP in the US made 40s Super Speed, this shave is actually within striking distance of the Rocket/DS combo, though the touch-up took rather longer and it didn't produce *quite* as close a shave in the end. I guess it pays to mix up all those razor/blade combinations until the synergistic pairings jump out...

next up; Just bought a Rocket HD, I can hardly wait to try it out, I hope it ships quickly!

Top Bottom