What's new

Transferring Lables from Plastic to Glass

Hi Gents,

A little bit of wisdom I'd like to impart to you all, regarding the tricky business of transferring a label from a plastic vessel to a glass one. Apologies if this has been stated before.

I've tried the blow-dryer method, and that does work, but it is time consuming and still tricky to get right. Here's my alternative method:

Clean glass vessel outside well, removing oil, dirt, etc. Transfer A/S to glass vessel so the original plastic container is empty.
Boil some water.
Pour boiling water inside plastic container, maybe 3/4 the way full. It may start to distort, but that's OK. The key is to heat the label glue, which should start to peel, and subsequently become very easy to unstick from the plastic container.
Peel off label smoothly, and then quickly transfer it to your clean glass vessel. Sometimes the edges may furl up, but just keep them firmly pressed down onto the glass, and eventually the label should stick.

Voila! Your label is now transferred with most of the glue with it!

Cheers,

Ryan

Yessir, although I've only tried this with skin bracer bottles, I'm sure it would work with other brands as well.

cryhavoc, it seems to work really well, and I for one really dislike pastic bottles for aftershave. Not only does it seem cheap, but I also can't help but wonder what is leaching into solution over time (especially with older bottles!)

I agree with you - something seems to settle or mellow in glass it seems. The skin bracer musk I found, for example, was in plastic. Didn't smell super out of the plastic bottle, but in glass even after a few days began to smell nice, somewhat like AV musk.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the tip! Any pictures of the transferred labels?

Hi Luc!

There's a thread called "June Acquisitions" in General Shaving Discussion that shows the musk bottle. I will say that with skin bracer labels there unfailingly seems to be a single wrinkle that appears on the label with transfer, although it is more pronounced in picture than in reality.

And I tried the reverse - a "Prora-Velva" special for my travel kit ...

$Proraso in Plastic.jpg

... because I hate traveling with glass.

Same techniques apply.

Interesting to note that this works in glass too! I guess the key is high heat evenly distributed across the container. Thumbs up!

I've only tried with skin bracer bottles but I'm assuming the concept holds true for AV as well!

I just realized something today about the newest Floid bottles that I have (the 400 ml of Vigoroso and "The Genuine" Italian version). The labels on the big 400 ml glass bottles are stick on labels as opposed to the old screened on labels of the old 400 ml Floid Blue and the old "The Geniune" bottles. I got to thinking that when I use up all of the Floid and (of course) order a new replacement bottle, I could peel off the Floid labels and use them for whatever else that comes in a plastic bottle that I would like to have in a glass bottle. Off the top of my head I was thinking about putting my favorite Thayer's Lavender Witch Hazel in there..... or maybe something like Pinaud Clubman or Skin Bracer that you can't get in glass bottles anymore. The 400 ml Floid bottles are the coolest and if you have an atomizer for it.... even better.

Ben

Just added three 400 ml bottles of Floid Grey Hair Tonic to a large order with Gifts and Care. I was paying for the big shipping rate anyway so it didn't cost me anymore to pay to have these shipped. 3 bottles for around $25. I've never tried the Floid hair tonic before, but my hair is starting to go grey and at that price I couldn't resist because they are the same thick, heavy glass 400 ml bottles that the Floid aftershave comes in. When I've used up the hair tonic I have plans for re-using these glass bottles. My latest thought has been buying a cheap bottle of Alcolado Glacial (The Penguin) and putting it in one of these bottles. I've never tried "The Penguin", but from what I have read on here it's just about the coolest blast of menthol there is with Osage Rub very close as well. I've also read that the plastic bottles that Alcolado Glacial come in are very cheap and shoddy. It's hot in Ohio right now and I could use a blast of cheap menthol right about now..... but I will be patient until I get my bottles. It will probably be til next summer by the time I use up all the Floid hair tonic anyway. Oh well, big plans for the future.

Ben

Top Bottom