What's new

Toronto, ON, Canada

OMG i live like 5 minutes away from there! do they have any razors? Im still a newbie...but im in the market for a Merkur HD...think they have it?

Anyone know where i can get my hands on (i.e. physically and not digitally lol) on the merkur HD and possibly a decent brush....perferably up in woodbridge or around UofT St. George?

I think Truefitt and Hill has Merkur. And possibly Toronto Barber and Beauty Supply (which is right next door to the Terminal Barbershop, where you can get a hot towel straight razor shave)

-possibly- also at Sleuth & Statesman

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
OMG i live like 5 minutes away from there! do they have any razors? Im still a newbie...but im in the market for a Merkur HD...think they have it?

Anyone know where i can get my hands on (i.e. physically and not digitally lol) on the merkur HD and possibly a decent brush....perferably up in woodbridge or around UofT St. George?

Fendrihan (www.fendrihan.com) is located in Mississauga and has extremely quick turnaround. I'm not sure if their new place has a store front but I did note someone here said they were able to pick up their order.

Not sure if this is the thread for tobacco stuff in the TO area, but for those who are interested there is the new Victory Cigars store on King Street East in Oshawa with various tobacco, cigar and pipe stuff. I'm no longer a smoker so I didn't memorize what he had. Various cigars, some Brigham pipes, Zippo lighters and some nice humidors. There were some corncob pipes on display. He said they would probably be good to use with a snowman. I guess he doesn't think much of those ones, although he has contacted The Missouri Meerschaum Company to see about representing them here.

My wife's from Barrie and her cousin (and our godchildren) live in Toronto so this weekend part of my birthday festivities was checking a few places out for gear. My fave three spots:

1. Truefitt & Hill in Scotia Place on King. Figured that one of the best birthday presents I could ask for was a straight shave here, and I got it. Man oh man was it amazing. Actually got a shave from the owner of the place, and it was awesome to talk shop with him for a while. Of course they sell all their own stuff there, but I was surprised it wasn't that much more expensive than it would cost for me to buy off Amazon back in the States. And they had refill pucks of Kent/MWF for around $20 CDN. Biggest impact on me was that when I die, I think I want to be buried in a tub of their West Indian Limes ASB.

2. Crabtree and Evelyn in the Eaton Centre. Priced as I would expect, but it was nice to finally get to smell all the ASBs I've been hearing about. Way too pricey if you ask me.

3. The Bay in the Eaton Centre - I was utterly surprised walking through there to see a L'Occitane kiosk. I usually go to the actual store in the Oxmoor Mall in Louisville, KY (about an hour from where I live in Lexington), but lo and behold, a tiny little shop in the middle of a Bay. Didn't have a great selection of men's stuff (compared to the store I'm used to), but enough for one to get a feel for how amazing most of that stuff smells.

For a Merkur HD you can also get them at TBBS which is on the north west corner of Bay and Dundas. The prices are high (not sure if they're about $50 like Fendrihan or more), but you can see them in person before you buy.

The best brush to start with is the $15 Omega and Proraso shaving creams available at most Shoppers Drug mart.

Dropped by the Richmond Hill location of Toronto Barber Supply the other day.

$10 for Clubman and $8 for a bottle of Boosters Bay Rum

Very fair pricing.

I'm going to check them out next week, thanks for the 'heads-up':thumbup1:

I can't speak for their other locations (Bay&Dundas, Mississauga, Orfus Rd) but the pickings were slim at Richmond Hill.

In the Pinaud line they had Clubman, Lilac Vegetal plus Talc, and 2 hair tonics.

The Boosters was a better selection with 6 or 7 "flavours"

Plus a bunch of barber grade shave creams in huge tubs. Picked a tub and will check it out soon.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Have a look at the wiki shaving supplies (see my signature)

I've been looking all over trying to find a barber who still gives straight razor shaves and the nearest I could find was in Toronto (well, one in Whitby, but we won't talk about that).

Then last week I discovered my regular barber, a block away, does them! Yesterday I got a straight razor shave there ---using one of my own razors--- for $10. Not as good an experience as the one at the Terminal barbershop in TO, but still quite nice.:thumbup1:

Passed by a new place in the Annex called "Monsieur". Haven't been in but from the website it looks good and they have straight shaves for $25.
proxy.php

Someone asked, about the store in the exchange tower, and I was just there the other day.

It is called Sleuth and Statesman. They have a very decent selection, when it comes to some products, and a modest supply, for others. They still had three Merkur razors, which is two more than Personal Edge at the Eaton Centre Had last time I checked.They also had one padded strop. They also had three straights.

What they did have in impressive abundance, were brushes, stands, and soaps. I bought a stand for my Wapienica, and a bowl of Geo F Trumpers soap. I also got a Silvertip badger brush By Rooney for half off!

They were very nice people, who had an earnest desire to help. They also had some impressive discounts (50 percent off some items).

I'd go for the brushes alone. The salesman, informed me which models had the best hair for the cheapest prices (e.g. "that one is more expensive, but your paying for the handle), this one has a cheaper handle, but better hair")

For brushes, I believe they have everything you could want.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Someone asked, about the store in the exchange tower, and I was just there the other day.

It is called Sleuth and Statesman. They have a very decent selection, when it comes to some products, and a modest supply, for others. They still had three Merkur razors, which is two more than Personal Edge at the Eaton Centre Had last time I checked.They also had one padded strop. They also had three straights.

What they did have in impressive abundance, were brushes, stands, and soaps. I bought a stand for my Wapienica, and a bowl of Geo F Trumpers soap. I also got a Silvertip badger brush By Rooney for half off!

They were very nice people, who had an earnest desire to help. They also had some impressive discounts (50 percent off some items).

I'd go for the brushes alone. The salesman, informed me which models had the best hair for the cheapest prices (e.g. "that one is more expensive, but your paying for the handle), this one has a cheaper handle, but better hair")

For brushes, I believe they have everything you could want.

Have a look at the shaving supplies in Wiki if you want to look what's around you...

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Canada_Shopping_and_Suppliers

I stopped by Tobacco Haven the other day and saw that it was closed or it had moved. The windows were all boarded up which isn't a good sign.

Anyhow, there is a spot in Jackson Square in Hamilton that just opened up not long ago that carries Edwin Jagger products and some other stuff. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's a straight up men's salon that offers hot towel shaves for $25.

Top Bottom