What's new

Tonscrial Gem v.Tonsorial Gem

It's an antique store acquisition. A Tonscrial Gem straight razor. Yes, I double, triple, quadruple etc. - checked. It's not a typo or a misspell. It IS printed that way on the show side shank. I even double-checked with my 10x Belomo - it IS 'scr' not 'sor'. There's one on Etsy that looks like mine, but it's the 'sor' variety.

What's the story with these names? Is one a clone of the original? which one is the "right" one?

Befuddled,:001_huh:
Rico

Hi Seraphim,

I already bought it.
I'm just wondering why seemingly the same razor apparently has two different (albeit similar) names.
Tonscrial Gem and Tonsorial Gem.
Mine is Tonscrial while another one online that looks like mine is named Tonsorial.
What I'm trying to figure out is what's the difference.

Rico:001_unsur

$IMG_0233.jpg$IMG_0234.jpg$IMG_0235.jpg$IMG_0236.jpg$IMG_0237.jpg

I'm no expert, but it doesn't look like a bad press of the 'O' to me. the only letter worn is the 'M' in 'GEM' cause it's close to the pivot point. Now on the show side of the tang is another question. The patent date is obscured by a stamp of 'T.N.' over it. But back to the name - the 'TONSCRIAL' looks like a clear stamp to me.

The only thing I notice is that the font used is a serif font.
TONSORIAL
TONSCRIAL

as an example. The 'C' carries a serif on the top where the 'O' won't. It the letters were individually stamped in, I could see the O stamp leaning to the left and not leaving a whole impression. Either way, it's a nice find!

The only thing I notice is that the font used is a serif font.
TONSORIAL
TONSCRIAL

as an example. The 'C' carries a serif on the top where the 'O' won't. It the letters were individually stamped in, I could see the O stamp leaning to the left and not leaving a whole impression. Either way, it's a nice find!
Nicely put. I was just going to point out the serifs were missing on the "C" So they either changed font in the middle of the word or they made a few razors with a damaged "O" stamp.

If this is a factory mistake from a damaged stamp, I'm sure there's a run of razors with the same error.
Probably a limited number. Does it change the value of the razor? Less More?

Or is it just a curiosity?

Rico

Last edited:
I would think it's just a curiosity. It's not exactly a rare razor and it looks like there is a pretty big crack in the blade near the heel which, if it's as bad as it looks, would ruin it for shaving. If it's not able to shave, it's probably not worth much.

First the show side then the obverse. (Am I using the proper terms?)

$IMG_0239.jpg$IMG_0240.jpg$IMG_0241.jpg$IMG_0242.jpg$IMG_0243.jpg

It's only letting me send 5 pics. I'll try another post.

I would think it's just a curiosity. It's not exactly a rare razor and it looks like there is a pretty big crack in the blade near the heel which, if it's as bad as it looks, would ruin it for shaving. If it's not able to shave, it's probably not worth much.

It could be made into the ultimate shorty.

Wow. Thanks Chaloney,

I just thought it was a ridge where someone stopped polishing or something.
I didn't actually try to do anything to it until a few minutes ago.
Yup. it is cracked.
So it can't be saved? Make it into a real thin razor?
I've restored DEs, But I've yet to do a straight restore.
I have four other antique store acquisitions as possible restores.
I was planning on cleaning & polishing them up, then send them out to a recommended Honemeister.

Rico

You can make it a long-shank. Look up instructions for grinding tempered steel safely and take out the shoulder. Round in a new heel and you have a decent razor, but it won't be worth anything anymore, the balance will be off, and it could be hard to hone. Probably just best to use that one as a display piece with a neat story about a limited run of misprints.

I actually keep a case of unusable equipment at the barbershop, it lets people see all of the cool antiques without having to dig through a display case every time I need to do a shave.

Hi weizemanner,

Ya, Making it a long-shank is really beyond my current skill set. I've never done a straight restore. This one was gonna be my first. But I have some others, so I'll just move on to one of them.

So, I'll take door number two, Alex. It'll be a display piece.
(Now that will give me another project making a display case for it.

Rico

Top Bottom