What's new

Today's finds, all Sheffield steel

Thought I'd share my finds from today, and see what the general consensus was on them. Any help dating them/etc would be greatly appreciated. Please excuse the cell phone pics. All are before any clean-up.

1. George Butler - "Yorkshire Bite"

A wedge, that measures between 5/8" & 6/8" wide, with most of the etching intact. Scales appear to be original horn. Stamped "YB18" on the non-show side of the tang.
$george butler yorkshire bite.JPG

2. Frederick Reynolds - "The Celebrated Hollow Ground"

Measures just a hair over 5/8" wide, etching is still clearly legible. Faded/discolored horn scales, lead wedge.
$Frederick Reynolds the celebrates.JPG

3. John Elliot's "Celebrated Razor"

Measures just over 5'8". Full hollow, horn scales (possibly not original?), lead wedge.
$John Elliots celebrated.JPG

4. Wade & Butcher - "Celebrated Hollow Ground"

Measures between 5/8" & 6/8" wide. Horn scales, lead wedge. Interesting diamond shaped grind with etching on the spine.
$wade butcher celebrated hollow.JPG

5. Wade & Butcher - "Famous Keen Shaving Bow Razor"

Pretty stoked about this one. Measures between 6/8" & 7/8" wide. Horn scales, lead wedge.
$wade butcher keen bow razor.JPG

the 2 razor is post 1890's the john Elliot and # 4 wade is pre 1890's lack of "England stamp" on tang denotes this. as a guess the wade with the spine stamp is a very early wade and butcher.that is about as close as can be determined by the stamps any import later 1890's has the country of origin stamped as well.very nice finds I like wade and butchers.

Very nice find!
Where did you get them from?
Looking forward to seeing them clean :thumbup:

A local antique shop had them. Paid a little more than I'd generally like, but wanted them enough to grit my teeth and pay asking price.

Hoping to start the clean-up process this weekend. I'll post results when I get to them.

A local antique shop had them. Paid a little more than I'd generally like, but wanted them enough to grit my teeth and pay asking price.

Hoping to start the clean-up process this weekend. I'll post results when I get to them.

HEY which shop? :)

Hone those and shave them!

HEY which shop? :)

Hone those and shave them!

MacLellan's on Agricola. They probably had 50-60 there that I dug through, and these were the ones I pulled out. There was a fair bit of junk in the lot. There were only one or two others there that I was on the fence about, the rest, I felt good about leaving behind.

MacLellan's on Agricola. They probably had 50-60 there that I dug through, and these were the ones I pulled out. There was a fair bit of junk in the lot. There were only one or two others there that I was on the fence about, the rest, I felt good about leaving behind.

Sounds like I should make the trip. I haven't been up there in a while.

A few of the barber shops in Dartmouth have some very nice stuff but want $200ish for their razors.

Sounds like I should make the trip. I haven't been up there in a while.

A few of the barber shops in Dartmouth have some very nice stuff but want $200ish for their razors.

Let me know if you do! I'd be willing to tag along to see if you can pick anything out that I missed with my inexperienced eyes!

Top Bottom