What's new

Tobs Jermyn street - now in soap form!

I'm desperately trying to hold out (have more than enough soaps to last me for the next 3 or so years) but I don't like my chances ... Can't resist that Jermyn St ...

Just got mine today.... whipped up a test lather from it... OH MY LORD. JUST AMAZING. Can't wait to shave with this soap tonight... the lather was everything in Xillions ' pics and more. WOW.
I know, right? What in the world did they do to make it so much different from their other soap? The lather even feels different.

I just got my order in today and decided to shave before going out this evening. All I have to say is WOW. The slickness of the soap was almost too good to be true. The smell of the soap was of course very good exactly matching the scent of the AS and cream but the performance really blew me away. I'll have to get back to you guys after tomorrows shave to confirm that it wasn't a fluke. Off to celebrate my buddy's birthday smelling like a winner!

I have Dr. Harris Arlington shave soap and I like that soap alot. I just finished my shave with Jermyn st soap for the second night in a row. I loaded my Simpson Classic 1 off the puck (held in my hand) for around 30 seconds. then in a pyrex bowl I proceeded to add drops of water into the bowl while swirling.
This pic is around 3/4 done
$IMAG1049.jpg

and here is what I shaved with

$IMAG1051-1.jpg

I had a great shave but not nearly as slick as last nights miracle shave sent from the heavens. Although it wasn't the shave to make me sell all my soaps, the soap still provided plenty of lather (I did 3 passes with touch-ups) and provided great protection to get me through my shave all the while smelling like that Jermyn Street fragrance I love so much. Top quality shave in my book.

oc_in_fw: I'll shave with my Dr. Harris tomorrow and give you a comparison.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
oc_in_fw: I'll shave with my Dr. Harris tomorrow and give you a comparison.

Cool- I love my Arlington, and would never give it up. This scent description seems intriguing, and if it even comes close to Harris performance I will buy it (eventually)

I have NEVER gotten lather like that out of a soap. Any soap... even Tabac. I get pretty good lather, no doubt... but not like that.

Edit: This is my 100th post. lol.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have NEVER gotten lather like that out of a soap. Any soap... even Tabac. I get pretty good lather, no doubt... but not like that.

Edit: This is my 100th post. lol.

Practice lather- seriously. I used Arlington for months before I finally decided to just keep adding water in practice and see what happens. Once I understood that DR Harris can take a bit of water, my lathers and shaves got better. Soap is cheap- play around and learn what works for each.

Congrats on your 100th post! :clap:

I wonder if I could get that lather out of another soap. I just switched my lather making process to something like Marcos method but less precise. Controlling the amount of water when building the lather seems to be the key to awesome lather. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the Arlington shave in the same bowl and same process and we'll compare.

See you tomorrow :thumbup:

I must say that it looks very intriguing. I've tried other TOBS soaps, and not been overly impressed, but this Jermyn Street seems different. I took a look at the ingredients for any hints as to why it might be making such an abundant lather, and the only thing I can come up with is that it contains some emulsion stabilizing agents. There's nothing like SLS to help generate volume, but the stabilizers (which are contained in other cosmetics) may help. I will get around to trying this.

I must say that it looks very intriguing. I've tried other TOBS soaps, and not been overly impressed, but this Jermyn Street seems different. I took a look at the ingredients for any hints as to why it might be making such an abundant lather, and the only thing I can come up with is that it contains some emulsion stabilizing agents. There's nothing like SLS to help generate volume, but the stabilizers (which are contained in other cosmetics) may help. I will get around to trying this.
I don't understand it either, but it is totally different. It's probably 2nd to Arko in the "ease of lathering" department. Maybe TOBS should reformulate their sandalwood soap to make it equal.

Alright I just finished my shave with my puck of Dr. Harris Arlington and it was great! (thanks oc-in-fw) I wet the puck a bit with around 10 drops of water and then proceeded to load the brush for around the same 30 seconds I used for the TOBS. The first thing I noticed was that the soap was accumulating on the brush much quicker and thicker than the TOBS did but I just rolled with it and when the 30 seconds passed I the proceeded to add drops of water (2 drops at a time) into the pyrex bowl while swirling. The lather took some time to form and it seemed for the amount of soap the brush picked up the output of lather was dismal.

$IMAG1059.jpg

I have to say I did 3 passes and I had no extra for touch ups or anything which was kind of a bummer.
I am thinking that I might have taken too much soap or added too little water.
I should have heeded oc_in_fw's warning that the soap was bound to be thirsty.
Well anyway it was another great shave regardless. I missed smelling that Arlington scent :)

My TOBS Jermyn St puck arrived yesterday, and needless to say it didn't stay in the wrapper long!

This morning's shave was its first outing ... And it was a very enjoyable outing. It certainly made a decent amount of lather from what wasn't a particularly heavily-loaded brush (and actually contained too much water to begin with). The shave was smooth and enjoyable and my brush felt like it had been washed after I rinsed the soap out (which doesn't happen with my tallow soaps). I think my lather was a bit runny, so tomorrow I'll use a drier brush and load a bit more. The puck is hard as a rock, so I'm predicting that this soap will last a LONG time!

One more thing - after I had finished in the bathroom and applied both Proraso AS and moisturiser, my wife commented that I smelt nice (she enjoys the Jermyn St scent)! Thanks TOBS, the scent in this soap seems to last!

Top Bottom