What's new

To those that use Cremo brushless

A quick question for my US friends: can the Cremo STICKS be used with a brush? Will they lather up properly as any other stick or are they supposed to be used brushless only?
IME, the sticks do not work with a brush. The stick leaves a slick film when applied to a wet face. However, it cannot be whipped into a lather. I use the Cremo stick when traveling, so I can still get a great shave without having to carry a brush and bowl (I prefer to bowl lather with my Captain's Choice bowls).

So I tried again this morning with just Cremo as the shave cream and applied it like you suggested.
This time, right before I put the blade to my face, I ran my hand quickly under the faucet and rubbed water over the Cremo.
Finally!
It was actually slick this time!
It performed like it was supposed to for two WTG passes which is all I do for daily work shaves.
Now if I can just repeat whatever it is that made it work today from now on.
Thanks!
YAY!
Glad it worked for you! 😊

A quick question for my US friends: can the Cremo STICKS be used with a brush? Will they lather up properly as any other stick or are they supposed to be used brushless only?

I have never seen one for sell on the shelves, at least here in the South. Have been wondering myself how they performed.

Never seen one here in the Midwest either.
You can use a brush or not with the sticks. I have the different " flavors" when they were sold at Walmart. Target also carried them, I don't know if they still do..they work mostly like other shave sticks on the market.. I got a Really good lather from them .. I mostly used them with a brush. I also am gonna have to check target and see if they still carry them as I would Love to have More of them...

IME, the sticks do not work with a brush. The stick leaves a slick film when applied to a wet face. However, it cannot be whipped into a lather. I use the Cremo stick when traveling, so I can still get a great shave without having to carry a brush and bowl (I prefer to bowl lather with my Captain's Choice bowls).
I have gotten Great lathers with the shave sticks using a brush..

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

You can use a brush or not with the sticks. I have the different " flavors" when they were sold at Walmart. Target also carried them, I don't know if they still do..they work mostly like other shave sticks on the market.. I got a Really good lather from them .. I mostly used them with a brush. I also am gonna have to check target and see if they still carry them as I would Love to have More of them...
Gentlemen, thank you both for answering my question. :cuppa:

Still had not been having consistent shaves with Cremo.
It either worked VERY well or not at all.
And trying it with a brush was a definite disaster LOL.
I happened to come across a video of geofatboy called "No Brush Lathering One-Handed Minimalist Shave!"
He used Proraso, but the first thing he did was to put the almond amount on his hands and rub it in his palms making a much more consistent "lather" to apply than I had been doing by just trying to evenly spread it out on my face and then shave.
Then he "vigorously worked the lather" into the areas of his face that he was shaving, added a bit of water, and went at it.
So I tried this with Cremo again for the last three days and it has FINALLY consistently given these great slick shaves that I have heard about for years.
To think it was simply the way I had been applying it this whole time.
And then I find THIS on the Cremo site where it has probably been up for years lol.
I had also been having trouble with Jack Black Beard Lube based on @SalS recommendation of how great it was. I thought I had a bad batch.
Same exact thing as with the Cremo - when I applied it differently than I had been, I got a great super slick shave.
So if anyone has been having issues like me - give this a try!

1696007992580.png

For years and years I have heard about how incredibly slick Cremo is.
I've bought it several times and it just goes unused and I can't remember what turned me off of it.
I wanted it for those days I need a quick NO BRUSH shave.
And not to be used as a pre shave.
Simply what they intended, rub it in, "activate it" with water whatever that means, and shave.
I just can't get it right apparently.
It's about as slick as some random lotion that my wife might have left around.
My friend brags about how he lightly wets his face, rubs in Cremo, and gets the slick ingrown free shave that it's supposed to.
Is mine broken? 😂
The two or three times that it did get close to this was accidental.
Any one who uses this brushless and can send pointers my way, they will most certainly be welcome.
I'm ONLY using this for my quick shaves that are specifically not meant to be used with a brush, but I'm willing to bet someone will come on here and tell me to use one anyways 😂
Use more water, it is very slick. I used it for about the first 4 months when I first started wet shaving. It did a good job.

Still had not been having consistent shaves with Cremo.
It either worked VERY well or not at all.
And trying it with a brush was a definite disaster LOL.
I happened to come across a video of geofatboy called "No Brush Lathering One-Handed Minimalist Shave!"
He used Proraso, but the first thing he did was to put the almond amount on his hands and rub it in his palms making a much more consistent "lather" to apply than I had been doing by just trying to evenly spread it out on my face and then shave.
Then he "vigorously worked the lather" into the areas of his face that he was shaving, added a bit of water, and went at it.
So I tried this with Cremo again for the last three days and it has FINALLY consistently given these great slick shaves that I have heard about for years.
To think it was simply the way I had been applying it this whole time.
And then I find THIS on the Cremo site where it has probably been up for years lol.
I had also been having trouble with Jack Black Beard Lube based on @SalS recommendation of how great it was. I thought I had a bad batch.
Same exact thing as with the Cremo - when I applied it differently than I had been, I got a great super slick shave.
So if anyone has been having issues like me - give this a try!

View attachment 1724993

Tried the above method with the Trader Joe's Shave Cream and got the same extra slick result with it also!
I actually may end up using this more than Cremo.
Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 11-12-38 Honey Mango Shave Cream.png

Brushless creams/gels like Cremo and Jack Black Beard Lube are not intended to be lathered because basically they are already emulsions that activate once water is introduced. Soaps on the other hand are one step backward, whereby the emulsion is created by vigorously mixing water and soap. Lather is just a useless by product insofar as the shaving process is concerned. Does nothing at best.

What’s sets JB and Cremo apart are silicone and polymer lubricants when mix with oil and water creates the softening and slickness. Using a brush with these introduces air that essentially renders all the technology usesless.

The lack of air in these products is why they are superior to any soap or cream by any company that requires a brush.

Top Bottom