What's new

To the Bourbon Drinker...

I'm very much into bourbon and have tried a wide variety, keeping a mental list of my "Top 5". What would yours be? I'm talking bourbons you have actually tried. Everyone has heard of Pappy, but not many (including myself) have had the privilege to try it. My current list (it's fluid) would look like this:

1. Weller 12 Year (Haven't been able to find for years, though)
2. Rock Hill Farms
3. Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection (OESF)
4. 1792 Full Proof
5. Henry McKenna 10 Year or Col. E.H. Taylor Small Batch (I call it a draw)

Close Runner ups: Yellowstone, Old Weller Antique 107

What does your list look like? It may help me find something new to try!

Cheers!

So I've been exploring bourbons this year: 2017 - My Year of Bourbon

So far, my list looks like this (and I've modified it since my last thread update -- like your list, mine is fluid).

1. Angel's Envy
2. Russell's Reserve 10 year
3. Basil Hayden's
4. Woodford Reserve
5. Elijah Craig (Eagle Rare is a close, close 6th so far)

That said, I still have many, many bourbons on my list to try. Col. Taylor, Four Roses and certainly Blanton's are high on my "to try" list but I'm having a hell of a time finding Blanton's up here.

In no particular order:
  • Blantons
  • Four Roses Single Barrel
  • Woodford Reserve Double Oak
  • Wild Turkey Russell Reserve Select (may be hard to find but superb)
  • Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
it was hard to limit it to just five.

In no particular order:
it was hard to limit it to just five.

Amen to that. And great call on the Kentucky Spirit. I haven't had that in years but it was really exceptional.

I'll keep an eye out for the Russell's Reserve Select.

In no specific order:

Woodford double oak
Willett Pot Still
Stagg Jr
McKenna 10 yr BIB
Four Roses SB

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Amen to that. And great call on the Kentucky Spirit. I haven't had that in years but it was really exceptional.

I'll keep an eye out for the Russell's Reserve Select.
It is one of the best. Very deep and rich. I can get it at our local store for $56.

As the previous posters indicated it is difficult to list "just" 5. Anyway my current top 5 are -

1. Bookers
2. Elmer T. Lee (hard to find lately)
3. Russell's Reserve 10 year old
4. Jim Beam Signature Craft 12 year old
5. Elijah Craig

All of these are IMHO excellent "sippers". I use other bourbon if a bourbon cocktail is my tipple of the evening.

In no specific order:

Woodford double oak
Willett Pot Still
Stagg Jr
McKenna 10 yr BIB
Four Roses SB

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'd love to get my hands on some Willett Pot Still. My favorite bottle out there, but sadly it's avoided the shelves near me in Michigan

Hmmm.... Off the top of my head...
1. George T. Stagg
2. Blanton's
3. Booker's
4. Elmer T. Lee
5. Noah's Mill
The last bottle I purchased, Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, is up there, too... Don't think I'm forgetting any...

Rye's are becoming very popular right now.

Pikesville Rye
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel
Old Grandad 114 (A Sleeper-Very Cheap)
Willett Straight Rye Whiskey
Makers Mark Cask Strength

I was very surprised at how good the Old Grandad 114 was. A little hot but with a cube of ice it was great.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'd love to get my hands on some Willett Pot Still. My favorite bottle out there, but sadly it's avoided the shelves near me in Michigan

What part of MI are you located? There are quite a few spirits that aren't widely available in The Mitten, but they're still around if you know where to look. The UP, on the other hand, is probably a different story.

And, welcome to B&B!

Makers 46
Blantons
Bookers
Rare Breed (Wild Turkey)
Clyde Mays

Honorable Mention (Because it's my every day bourbon): Even Williams Black Label

2nd Honorable Mention -- Pappy van Winkle 15 year -- I've had it, it was delicious and if money was no issues, I'd buy a bottle, but I don't think ANY bourbon is worth that much.

What part of MI are you located? There are quite a few spirits that aren't widely available in The Mitten, but they're still around if you know where to look. The UP, on the other hand, is probably a different story.

And, welcome to B&B!
I'm in the Detroit metro area. I have found a few locations that seem to specialize more in bourbons than the typical liquor store. Some bourbons, I am told, are not "available" in Michigan, such as Noah's Mill.
Do you know of any good spots around Detroit?

favorites right now.

These are daily drivers.
-Four Roses Private Selection OESF
-Jefferson's Rum Cask
-Russell's Reserve Single Barrel
-Jack Daniels Barrel Proof
-Knob Creek Cask Strength.

Favorite ever would be
-2009 Pappy 20yo Last of the Stitzel Weller
-Jeffersons Presidential 17yo
- William Weller Larue Had many bottles and they consistently nose out Stagg. I love an aged Wheater.
-Parkers Heritage Cognac Barrel
-Bookers 25th

favorites right now.

These are daily drivers.
-Jefferson's Rum Cask

Favorite ever would be
-Jeffersons Presidential 17yo
- William Weller Larue Had many bottles and they consistently nose out Stagg. I love an aged Wheater.
-Parkers Heritage Cognac Barrel
-Bookers 25th

Now that, sir, is a fine looking list! We share a taste for the higher proofed bourbons.

favorites right now.

These are daily drivers.
-Jefferson's Rum Cask

Favorite ever would be

waiting for good occasion to crack it open!

proxy.php

Some bourbons, I am told, are not "available" in Michigan, such as Noah's Mill.

My sister shipped the Noah's Mill to me from CT. I saw it in my local ABC in SW FL yesterday, though, for $59.

I went in looking for Weller's. That was the only empty spot on the bourbon shelves.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm in the Detroit metro area. I have found a few locations that seem to specialize more in bourbons than the typical liquor store. Some bourbons, I am told, are not "available" in Michigan, such as Noah's Mill.
Do you know of any good spots around Detroit?

Not around Detroit. I'll try to check with a few buddies of mine who live in the city though. Most of the places that I know of with a good selection are in the Greater Lansing Area, and a couple near Saginaw.

Top Bottom