What's new

Titan Stainless Straight from Japan - thoughts

Got mine back from Seraphim on Saturday and have shaved twice with it, thanks much for the great work. I didn't mind the scales as I'm new to straights either way.

I still use mine for a few days stretch at a time alternating between my two GD's, they all still shave like they did when I first got them. Wonderful shave, I can't knock it, it's very close.

It has performed well, great razor, once it's been honed up properly. I will not hesitate to buy another if I need one, I paid 37 bucks for mine, these look to be finished a lot more.

I'm thinking of grabbing one, would be my first straight razor... If I did, can you gentlemen recommend someone to send it to for proper honing?

I will again state that we are talking about a razor here. There is no mystery or rocket science involved. It is a hunk of heat treated steel ground into a certain shape.

They can take cheap carbon steel from Goudong Province and bang out $3.54 GDs, or they can spend the extra $5 a pound and load up the assembly line with higher quality Japanese steel and sell the resulting razors for $30 each. The grind looks very similar to a GD 66, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what they did.

If it makes someone feel better to send Dovo $150 for a hunk of stainless steel ground to a similar shape because they have a German guy at the industrial press pushing the "on" button, instead of a Chinese guy in Ningbo doing it, more power to ya. For me, the end quality is nowhere near worth the $146.46 difference in price.

Yes, some of the true high end razors out there have significantly more refined craftsmanship than either a GD or a Dovo. But I'm trying to compare similar items for the sake of this argument.

I completely agree with your point of view. I personally own 4 Chinese made razors GD66. GD200, GD208 and TITAN VG-10 and I have to tell you all of them are great shavers and TITAN is exceptional shaver. It is truth that all of them required simple modification of stabilizers but for the price you can not go wrong.:thumbup:

Actually the rust is less of a giveaway than the magnet test imho. Stainless will rust (though going to rust in 1 yr just sitting in a normal environment is a bit odd), but unless I'm mistaken even if it gains some magnetism from hardening, it will still only attract magnets weakly compared to other steels. This baby sticks to the magnet as hard as any other razor I own.

Actually it's not correct. I have induction kitchen range and I can use only MAGNETIC stainless steel cooking pots.:thumbup:

Titan razors are made by a company called Titan1918. Everything I find about them is in Russian. Their website is in Russian. So I'm thinking they're a Russian company lol. Could It be that they're just distributing through Russia?

They are made in China. You may find them elsewhere though. Theyre a very nice blade If you like thin and dainty scales, they may not be for you. They shave great though. I have the bloodwood VG 10 one.

Top Bottom