What's new

Tips and general comments from a beginner DE shaver (a month old shaver)

Hello to all of you,

Spending 15 minutes every two days, in solitude just to glide a sharp blade down my face, thinking about nothing but this micron sized world, where the hairs that have been produce by tiny factories under my skin, that are being gently sliced by the tip of a blade that has now become an extension of my arm, while my full body is submerges in a cloud of aromatic molecules, has made an impression on me. I have recently started working independently, and have the liberty of managing my own schedule. However, soon my daily routines and structure went out of hand. I figured that obsessing myself with DE shaving could be a good way to create a new routine. This was a not only a success, but I also realized how calming and meditative (I do not throw this word around) these 15 minutes can be. Just by seeing the vast community of wet shavers, I am quite positive there are others who agree.

I would like to leave some comments and tips here particularly for beginners like my self. Here is my formula of products that have worked:
  • Edwin Jagger DE89 Razor : haven't tried anything other razor. I was torn between this razor and the Merkur 34C, but one of my favourite bands originated from Sheffield so I had to go with Edwin Jagger.
  • Personna Red blades : The razor came with Derby blade. My beard is too course for this blade so I would press on my face to get a clean shave and surprise surprise ... razor burns. So i switched to Feathers; sharp but unforgiving. As i am still not too consistent in technique and am still figuring out the topography of my face, Personna's have been great. I like a challenge so i will surly switch to Feathers at some to point.
  • Shaving cream : I switch between Barrister and Mann Seville Soap... smells amazing, and Taylor of bond street grapefruit... smells amazing. But I'd say Barrister might feel a touch slicker and the aromas are more present, but both are great. It's always hard to choose which one i'd go for.
  • After shave : oh man!.... probably the most expensive part of the DE experience. So after a cold rinse I use a Thayer's witch hazel + Aloe vera unscented, very smoothing, let it dry and use an aftershave splash. I bought a few aftershaves but I really dig Tabac aftershave lotion, classic scent which i remember the manliest men from. I also have a Barrister and Mann Cheshire which smells great, but it's a bit too herby for my taste. I follow by a moisturizer to re hydrate after the alcohol from the splash has dried up the skin. I also have a Keihls aftershave balm which is more meditative for razor burns and bumps than it is moisturizing.
Now I'd like to emphasize on three points:
  1. DO NOT SHAVE AGAINST THE GRAIN (yet!) : One criticism I have of the youtube shavers, is that they make the third pass (ATG) look way too easy, and do not emphasize (they do but not enough) that your face and technique really need to develop until ATG becomes irritation free. I was constantly getting razor burns with my face irritated for at least a couple of hours after shaving, and I almost quit DEs. But as soon as i stopped ATG, then I understood why so many obsess about DE shaving. With a sharp blade like a personna or feather, and a mild razor like the DE89, you will get a damn good shave.
  2. COST: I don't really buy into the cartridge vs. DE economics argument. If you buy a DE razor, you are investing time, thought and money into your shaving routine. And if you are not willing to spend that 15~20 minutes prepping your face, shaving it inch by inch and putting a variety of products on it, then don't invest in the first place. But if you do, then beware, this stuff is addictive, you will become obsessed and you will start buying more aftershaves, blades and soaps. I've tried to limit myself to 2 products in each category : 2 x soaps, 2 x brushes, 2 x aftershaves and soon a new razor. And have vowed not even look at other products until i'm done with them. So in the long run, yeah hopefully my obsession will subside and the cost of my shaves will become cheaper. I like to think of this expense as something that has helped me structure my day, shake of a bit of stress and give me a little boost of confidence cause i look and smell damn good after a shave. Kind of like wearing a suit.
  3. FOR CANADIAN READERS: Not endorsing at all, but I have had a great experience with fendrihan.ca. They also have a point system and a referral program. so let me know i could refer you!
Thank you for reading and i hope this has been helpful!

Cheers

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. It's gratifying to see how well you're progressing. Keep up the good work.

Welcome and thanks for the tips.. i am new to DE also. I may take your ATG advice on board but its just too dam tempting to get that smooth all over feel

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your post. I am already a long time Fendrihan customer. I bought my first DE shaving set-up from Fendrihan about 7 years ago. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom